Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Iphones and push email

Author Iphones and push email
dougproctor
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-24 12:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Excuse my ignorance but, having a Blackberry 9700 with its excellent push email, I wonder how good the Iphone is with this function? Also I use a data plan for web access with the BB, what would I need with an Iphone. I am on Orange.
It's just I have the 9700 and also a 16Gb Touch and am thinking about combining the two Apple items into the phone.
Have read about the BB/Iphone comparisons but who better than to ask on here.
Doug
[ This Message was edited by: dougproctor on 2010-03-24 18:32 ]
dougproctor
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-24 20:32
Been advised by Mutleyboy which is really appreciated.

With Matt's permission from PM:-
hi doug,

if using it on orange you have a few options. You can either just buy a normal internet add on, not sure what their fair use policy is on it, or you can get them to transfer you to an iphone tariff, which would give a larger data allowance and wifi hotspot access through openzone i think, but then you get less minutes and texts at the same price point for than on a non iphone tariff.

Regarding the email, I have mine set to receive it every 15 mins as have never needed instant push email, but from what I have read if you set it up using an exchange account (can do this for gmail too as they provide a special exchange login or something like that) then it often comes through on the iphone as quick as it does on the pc, the only downside being battery life is worse with it set up for push.

hope that helps

Matt
mutleyboy
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-24 20:34
no worries doug

Anyone else who may have better knowledge or experience can feel free to add/refine the advice I have given
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-03-24 20:46
Hi Doug,

As you are on Orange with the BB tariff there is no need to call and change anything just pop your sim in and away you go.

I have Gmail pushing emails for the business through the Microsoft Exchange settings as well as having my mac/me.com pushed through mobile me, Push is as fast on the iPhone as the BB, I also have a few accounts set to pull and use boxcar to alert me and the battery is fine, it lasts all day long with no problems.

Hope this helps,
Love Nanu

X
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2010-03-24 22:19
ive just gone the opposite way iphoen to bb9700. the data plan not sure about others may have a better idea some networks have BB specifc ones and dont allow you to use that for another phone, not sure about orange best to check or if other memebers know for certain.
as for push email yes the iphone does do it- yahoo it will push by just using the normal email settings in the mail contacts calendar(though its a bit flakey compared to BB)
gmail you need to set up on the exchange option but google have instructions for that. hotmail and the rest dont push unlike on the 9700. As others have said the iphone can be set to fetch and various intervals or you can manually check. I got rid of the iphone cos the battery struggled to last a day and i had to be careful what i did to get that long. the 9700 i can use all day long and still get 2 days plus out of it. Both great phones however just wish the iphone battery was a bit better
mutleyboy
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-24 22:24
I would take nanu's word for it about the data plans as he has both phones im sure and has experience of switching between them on orange
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-03-24 23:07

On 2010-03-24 22:24:12, mutleyboy wrote:
I would take nanu's word for it about the data plans as he has both phones im sure and has experience of switching between them on orange

Cheers, Reggie will back me up on it

I'm not sure it would work the other way around though going from an iPhone tariff to a BB but the iPhone happily uses my BB data tariff with no problems, no complaints or extra charges from Orange either!
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2010-03-24 23:28
What will I back you up on?!

Lemme see...

EDIT:

I do, indeed agree with Mr Nanu.. he is in this instance correct!

much love.

fatreg x
[ This Message was edited by: fatreg on 2010-03-24 22:29 ]
dougproctor
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-25 11:50
All this luuuurrrv floating around guys, feeling giddy! Many thanks for all your input, love my BB but always ready to try new technology - as you know!!
Doug
[ This Message was edited by: dougproctor on 2010-03-25 10:52 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi