Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > O2 invests in network coverage

Author O2 invests in network coverage
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 00:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mobile phone operator O2 is to spend hundreds of millions of pounds in 2010 to prevent a repeat of service outages suffered by customers this year. The chief executive of O2 UK Ronan Dunne apologised yesterday to customers in London who were intermittently unable to make calls as the operators network was swamped with traffic. A spokesman for O2 said it had been overwhelmed by an absolute explosion in customers surfing the web or using smartphones such as the iphone to download applications. O2 customers have been hit harder than those of rivals due to the operator was until recently the only British firm to carry the iphone. The iphone weighs heavy on mobile networks due to its online content. But the company will spend heavily in 2010 to ensure uninterrupted connection for users. O2 owned by Spain's Telefonica has spent £500million since 2007 to prepare for the traffic increase sparked by the flood of smartphones on the market. The cash injection was not enough to prevent network failures earlier this year and the company has since been forced to spend a further £30 million to address the problem. Story from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1239317/O2-invests-network-coverage.html

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-12-30 23:18 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 00:26
all I can say is... tooooo late! I'm already outta there

this is what they should have done at least 2-3 years ago when they had the iPhone exclusivity instead of providing the crummy service they did... so for me this is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 00:36
Yes indeed. With the explosion of mobile data they should have seen what was going to be needed and invested long ago. Although my brother recently went onto O2 and he has been getting good speeds and reliable connection. So your sticking with T Mobile which will soon be Orange? I have moved to Vodafone yesterday and where you do find 3G coverage its very speedy
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 00:44
I'm still using the o2 payg sim that I got when I got my 3GS back in July... its now in my HD2 and its still a well below par data service but its free until next July so I guess I shouldn't complain for a secondary phone but it does go to prove even more so that the iphone wasn't to blame given that it now operates flawlessly on the tmobile data service
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 00:47
Well that depends because there are more iphones on O2 than people using unlocked ones on T Mobile or am i wrong? I know T Mobile has a good stable network. Do you think you will move to Vodafone with the iphone? I am actually finding even Vodafone standard GPRS is quite fast in loading pages using Opera its pretty good. Time will tell if this repeats on Orange or Vodafone but so far with Orange i am yet to hear of any major complaints with the iphone. Or is that just because hardly anyone has one on Orange as yet? Does anyone know if its selling well?

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-12-30 23:52 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 01:02
GPRS is GPRS and you can't expect much from that given its maximum speed potential of around 40-60kbps, so I'm not sure why you're applauding this? (unless you're talking about EDGE where 3-4 times that can be expected but that still way less than standard 3G)

these days I expect 3+ mbps!

I was going to try out voda again considering my phone number came from voda and I was with them for 7-8 years but on returning to tmob I've been more than happy so haven't felt the need to consider anything else.

mind you, I did pre-register for the voda iphone and they recognised my previous account and have been calling me every few weeks in the last 2 months trying to get me and my family back and with the last call they were offering pretty good discounts on the iphone if we took up 2 or 3 iphone 3GS for 18 months so I'm seriously considering...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 01:07
Well check first to see if you have Vodafone 3G by you. No i was not really applauding GPRS its slow its old but i was saying that for standard browsing on Vodafone where there is no 3G i have found pages loaded pretty briskly using Opera to my surprise. I moved from Orange because they are expensive.
Phone?? What phone??
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-31 13:02

On 2009-12-31 01:02:20, masseur wrote:
these days I expect 3+ mbps!

Thats what I expect on my broadband line with BT never mind on my phone lol
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 14:30
maybe o2 will get better now that they are sharing equipment with vodaphone.
galaxy note8
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-31 14:52
Well they need to share and invest not stop investing just cos they are sharing with another network. Things hopefully will improve cos surely they cant get no worse. One thing i do recall when i was on O2 was general page loading was ok quite fast but downloading was slow and often failed. When i was downloading tracks from Napster on HSDPA it was like downloading using GPRS

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-12-31 13:53 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi