12  Next
Author Some basic questions from a noob
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 23:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hi guys,

I'm a proud owner of a new SE w995 on orange contract which also gives me 500mb internet per month. I've always been a hardcore nokia fan for a good few years, but now i'm sick of them and plan to stick with sony and i'm hoping some kind soul will help me answer some questions to get my SE up quick and running.

1. I have over 300+ contacts on my nokia phone and these contacts are also on my computer in outlook express. How can i migrate all these contacts to my Sony Ericson?

2. I want to change the right button which is as default set on "Media" to bring up my Address book instead...is this possible and how?

3. I'm hard of hearing and I find both the volume and vibration on the SE quite low, so is there any trick or way of further increasing the volume or vibration?

4. What browser is the most popular and easy to use for the SE?

5. I used to use the organiser/calendar on the nokia a lot and i'm wondering if there is a more better calendar than the standard one?

sorry for so many questions, but i'm hoping that by getting my SE up and running quickly I'll be more inclined to stick with this manufacturer.

thanks so much and MeRRY CHRiSTMaS ! ! !
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 08:46
Hi

1) You can't sync directly from Nokia software to software, you need to use a go-between such as Outlook 2007. I'm not sure if Outlook Express will do it. Try and see.

2) Dunno. Don't think it's possible without a modded firmware - anyone?

3) Same answer as above. ^^

4) Many people on Esato use Opera Mini 4 which is very cool and syncs with Opera Desktop browser on your PC too.
Access Netfront has made great strides and was pretty good on the G705 I had recently.
Firefox for Mobile is not far away, not sure if it's W995 compatible or not. This would be the best option for users of Firefox Desktop Browser.

5) Have you tried using MyPhoneExplorer to sync the calendar with your PC? Makes the using the phone calendar and syncing/editing information on the phone much easier.

Don't forget to download the Theme Creator software to edit any free themes you might download from Esato or Zedge.net Different themes make the UI easier and more fun to use IMO.

Hope this helps
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 10:05
thanks very much carkitter.

1. - and I actually have outlook 2003 which i think should do the job, so thank u

2. - I really could do with the answers here mate. I thought although the sony is not a smartphone, it still should be able to alter the menu button choices as even a basic phone such as a nokia 6230i can alter these.

3. - Again I really could do with the answers here mate. Many phones have secret options/codes to allow a person to increase the volume and create stronger vibrations.

4. Thanks again for this. I will download and install the opera mini browser...

5. No, but i'll take a look

PS. Not too bothered about the themes for the moment, unless these allow you to change the button layout.

thanks again and look forward to your replies.
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 10:33

On 2009-12-24 10:05:48, sonyw995 wrote:
2. - I really could do with the answers here mate. I thought although the sony is not a smartphone, it still should be able to alter the menu button choices as even a basic phone such as a nokia 6230i can alter these.

3. - Again I really could do with the answers here mate. Many phones have secret options/codes to allow a person to increase the volume and create stronger vibrations.

PS. Not too bothered about the themes for the moment, unless these allow you to change the button layout.

thanks again and look forward to your replies.

2. Go to the settings then find the shortcuts button. There should be the option to change it, I mean I sure as hell did. Of course you could be unable to do so if its O2 branded. Meaning the firmware is their own and they disabled stuff. Yeah I know that sucks but it happens. You might need to unlock it.
3.You must have some pretty crappy hearing if you find the W995 "quiet". Seriously. Its like, the loudest SE out there. As for secret codes and such, no SE's do not have such a thing. Your going to need to use a mod program on the PC, like A2 uploader and such.
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 14:10
thanks se_love mate.

2. - I'm on orange network. I already checked the shortcuts option, but this only allows you to change the 4-way navigation buttons, but not the buttons which are:-

Now my question is if I unlocked the phone and flashed it with a totally different firmware, can i then alter these button options?

3. - I wear a hearing aid and i don't have a problem with hearing people on the phone...its the low ringtones which i could do with having louder and the vibration is also very slight. What are these A2 uploader mods? Will they allow me to change some of the stuff?

look forward to hearing from you.
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 14:35
i think if you debranded the phone then on of the buttons might be contacts by default.
with A2 uploader you can add modified acoustics/camera drivers,flash menus etc so you could find a louder acoustic driver to suit you needs.
there is dedicated thread with all the different mods on this site.
galaxy note8
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 15:19
thank u very much davie mate . Could you kindly give me the link to that thread, so that I can have a look at it.

Thanks!
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 17:35
Here you can find almost any Tutorial Good luck.
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 17:51
thanks very much hihihans...really appreciate it.

How do i know if my phone is an A2? or if the software is compatible with my w995?

FYI, I checked my software version which shows: R1FA035

Now here comes another question which might be very simple for u experts 2 solve...

how do i install applications? I connected the SE W995 via usb and chose PHONE MODE and started up Sony PC Suite, but this program only allows you to transfer files, but not install them. Any idea?

thanks
[ This Message was edited by: sonyw995 on 2009-12-24 17:38 ]
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 18:49
if you send games/apps with bluetooth then it will ask you if you want to install in either games or applications folder.
go to www.se-nse.net for a large modding community to find modder w995 acoustic drivers.
[ This Message was edited by: daviep on 2009-12-24 18:03 ]
galaxy note8
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 23:41
thanks daviep,

Funny enough i registered with that site since yesterday and i'm still waiting for their validation email (already checked my junk folder, but nothing there!)...i've emailed them saying that they may have a problem.

I don't have bluetooth dongle mate and i assume it shouldn't matter if i send a file via bluetooth or usb cable, should it?

Also when you acoustics drivers, do you mean that these drivers will allow me to adjust the amount of volume for my handset?
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-25 00:41

On 2009-12-24 17:51:35, sonyw995 wrote:

how do i install applications? I connected the SE W995 via usb and chose PHONE MODE and started up Sony PC Suite, but this program only allows you to transfer files, but not install them. Any idea?

Such as Opera Mini?
You must Install the PC Suite to install the drivers on your PC, after that you can use any sync software you want.
I downloaded the .jad and .jar files to my PC and transferred to my G705 via USB using Windows Explorer. The phone asks where to put the files and I usually place them in the Other folder. Once transferred, just select one of the files and open it. It will install automatically and Opera Mini will appear in the Applications menu. I then go to the taskbar menu and put Opera Mini in the Shortcuts list for quick access, along with Alarms, Bluetooth, Wifi and Notes.

I put everything in the taskbar and keypad shortcuts and seldom use the menus...
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-12-25 12:52
For transferring stuff I don't even link up to the media suite. That is way too much a hassle. I just link up screw the drivers and drag n drop.
sonyw995
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-25 13:12
thanks se_love and carkitter. I have found the way of installing apps on the w995, yet its not documented much. For others who want to know, all you have to do is:-

MENU -> ORGANISER -> MEDIA ALBUM and then find your app in the necessary folder and run it. (Its an odd place to have such as option if you ask me.)

Even though so far i've got the hang of this phone, i unfortunately may have to send the phone back. The reason for this is that the Calendar app does not let you customise a different tone/sound for any appts or reminders which is really daft as this feature is available on some very old phones such as the nokia 6230i. I need a long reminding sound because I'm hard of hearing and also one of my kids has an illness which requires medication at certain set times and these CAN'T be missed at any cost.

Now if i were to apply a custom firmware such as A2 uploader can I then customise the sounds for the calendar?

thanks guys and hope your having a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-12-25 15:37
You should set an alarm at that time then.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi