Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhone was lost/stolen anything that can be done?

Author iPhone was lost/stolen anything that can be done?
iainkane
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 13:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just wondering if there is anything I can do to find it? It never had any tracing software on it previously but I do have the imei number.

Any help would be appreciated.
nicv27
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 17:06
Was it insured? Cant you get a replacement then back up the new one from itunes
[ This Message was edited by: nicv27 on 2009-12-23 16:08 ]
Samsung Galaxy S3 White iPad 2 32gb 3G +16/-0 Twitter.nicv27
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 17:12
my brothers was stolen, he didn't have insurance so £300 for another one
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 17:16
An app for finding your iphone? Wow thats cool if its possible Bad luck mate but something that expensive it pays to insure it
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 17:33
you set it up through mobileme

Here's the WWDC video for "Find my iPhone", and here's some more videos about this

well worth it and I guess this topic is a lesson that can be learned though, unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much that can be done for the OP other than the norm of getting the operator to bar the phone
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 01:23

On 2009-12-23 17:33:59, masseur wrote:
I'm not sure there is much that can be done for the OP other than the norm of getting the operator to bar the phone

and make a nice iPod touch for the yea leaf?
gayannr
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 04:38

On 2009-12-24 01:23:09, fatreg wrote:

On 2009-12-23 17:33:59, masseur wrote:
I'm not sure there is much that can be done for the OP other than the norm of getting the operator to bar the phone

and make a nice iPod touch for the yea leaf?

yeah
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 08:44
I have a lock code set on mine, just to be obstinate. It only comes on every four hours so doesn't get in my way much, but would at least spoil the fun of any thief..
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 11:26

On 2009-12-24 08:44:42, Boinng wrote:
I have a lock code set on mine, just to be obstinate. It only comes on every four hours so doesn't get in my way much, but would at least spoil the fun of any thief..

Would it? a little restore via iTunes would wipe that, granted it'll also lose all your personal info but the phone still works as a iPod touch.

They (the manufactures) need to come up with a fail safe way of disabling a phone should it be lost/stolen, simply blacklisting a phone stops the phone working in the UK (and possibly Europe dependant on what network locked it) but it does not stop it working elsewhere in the world, and as our Indian members will tell you the price of a iPhone in India is sky high and the chance of getting one at a fraction of the price as it won't work in the UK is a bonus not to be sniffed at.

RIM have sort of got it right with BES, should a phone go walkies you can disable it remotely, lock it down and wipe it, doesn't however mean the phone can't be wiped, loaded with a new OS, then be used in a different country, someone somewhere needs to come up with a solution to the mobile black market as it's big business, we're not talking millions here, we're talking billions per year.

@ BigM, you're an IT man, can you think of any way where a phone could be remotely locked permanently? ie, an iPhone can be locked vis mobile me, but a restore via iTunes wipes that and you have a working iPod touch, what we need is a system when once it's locked, it's locked, yes you could still wipe it via iTunes but it wouldn't work as an iPod after that? like wise, WM devices, just because it's blacklisted, doesn't mean it doesn't make a nice PDA with Wifi for someone... bear in mind SW can be reverse engineered so it can't be anything on the phone that can be removed, I believe it'd need to be a ROM chip that contains a serial number and as part of the blacklisting, the serial also get's barred, now when the phone turns on, it auto send the IMEI and Serial to the network, who cross check it and don't allow it on the network, what the phone then needs to do is turn off, in a cycle if you will, this ROM chip needs to be the sort Lenovo use of laptops when it's not possible for the end user to change it, just to make sure, a tamper switch needs to be installed and once actioned, phone will not boot at all.

Food for thought, oh and I want 10% if you can come up with an idea and get it to market!

thomas93
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 13:19
@reggie apple's idea is good, but im not paying for mobile me!
(+10 -0) WoRld Tour
7 User!
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2009-12-24 13:33
good but not foolproof I don't think..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi