Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > question about GPRS activity

12  Next
Author question about GPRS activity
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-19 03:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Guys post your opinions about my GPRS activity in SE phones

Story below

most SE phones have the earth icon when you are using your GPRS (e.g. using operamini browser) or using your built-in browser, but after 5-10 seconds the icon disappeared, im new in SE phone i bought my k800i last month so i just thought it was normal in SE phone,

but few weeks later i read some forums about SE phones then i found out that it was suspected that your GPRS activity or connection was stopped or disconnected if the earth icon disappeared so if you click or go to another page your GPRS will start to reconnect again and will have a delayed going to the next page compared to a connected GPRS.

so far my k800i works fine even that icon disappeared it takes 2-4 seconds to change to another page, i just want to clarify if that is a problem or its just a normal in SE phones.

sorry for my lame english.
"You don't need a reason to help people"
-Nokia N82 5.0MP Carl Zeiss Optics
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
StevenC
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-19 06:47
If you have a wap (http) connection, then it will disconnect when idle. Internet (socket) doesn't disconnect.
litemint
C905 Gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-20 02:37
Kuya exa, just lyk what steph said.

socket connection is an open connection, so the icon stays there, while the http based, it is only open when you send a command over the server,onced queried,the connection closes.

i think when your using the builtin browser, its like socket, i guess it depends on the trick used, like ssl cgi, php proxy, and glype.

my nose is bleeding, heheh
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-21 07:43
the'earth' icon will only appear if your browser is connecting. (E.g. When you open a new page on your browser)
having the opportunity to speak doesnt always give us the privilege to be understood...
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-21 12:20
guys thanks for your opinions

but can we get rid of it? so that we'll have a continous connection.
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-21 13:37
It will disconnect automatically as soon as the page is completely loaded.

And it will connect asap when you open a new link.

IMHO, theres no way we get rid of it.

Anyway the connection doesnt interrupted does it?
having the opportunity to speak doesnt always give us the privilege to be understood...
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 07:20
i discovered a trick to make the icon stay but i don't know if it will affect the disconnection,

example:

im downloading using my built-in and browsing w/opera mini of course the icon will stay as long as the download completes but i can't tell if the opera mini connection stopped or disconnected,maybe bcoz that icon is for the activity of the built-in browser thats why it stays,but thats not really my discovery.
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-22 07:29
When you are downloading on your default browser and using your Opera, the connection will not stop on Opera. Its like having two connections at the same time.
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 07:58

On 2009-12-22 07:29:00, chuaherson wrote:
When you are downloading on your default browser and using your Opera, the connection will not stop on Opera. Its like having two connections at the same time.

are you sure?

review the posts above

anyway thats not important because i already figured it out haha! this icon disappearing is not a problem weee!
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-22 15:01
it is based on what im experiencing right now.

In the first place, it is not really a problem!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 15:38
My K850 does the same thing, not a problem at all,since it still loads the next page quickly,but i do think it would've made more sense to keep the connection on. On my S60 regardless of HTTP or Socket the connection stays until i either close the app or end the connection via Conn. mgr. Or by pressing and holding the red button in Stand By.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 15:52
Yes it does that when using Opera too
Phone?? What phone??
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-22 22:37
this icon disappearing is not a problem at all

example like a desktop browser internet explorer theres a window icon in top right corner of the page, whenever you make a command either you go to another page or just refreshing the page the icon there is waving well it means an activity but after the page was loaded it stops waving, well it means idle

like in SE phones if the icon remains it means theres a GPRS activity going on, if it disappeared it means idle, thats why i don't feel the delayed if its really disconnected and reconnects again whenever you go to another page.
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 05:24
Last couple of days, i am facing this problem in connecting the gprs. When i try to connect, the globe appears and blinks, but then it shows error saying 'connection failure. Try again or contact your service provider' in default browser or 'unable to connect' in operamini. Now i will have to wait till that globe disappear. Then again when i try to connect, there are chances that it might connects or might not. Once it connects, i can surf till that globe disappear. But once it gone, again it is not sure that it would connect again.

I have already complaint to my provider. They are trying their best to solve it. Meantime, i have flashed my phone and formatted my memory card, but still i am facing this. I have noticed that my sim card has bent a little. Is this causing problem?

Any views pls?
ESATO Most Loved & Best Asian Member MMX & MMIX
February : Shoot The MUSIC
Cyborg_a0
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-23 08:09
I really like your topics author
there is just one thing that i notice, i know you are all here so peace, i'm using a nokia an s60 one, there were two ip carrier available in a network and they are switching randomly.
i will site them
globe telecom and
globe telecom/innove

we here are using a trick of course my co filipino knew it, in globe telecom carrier we can't use that trick but in globe telecom/innove the trick is working very well.

So here's my point now, in nokia when you do a connection the icon G boxes, it means you are now connected, assuming that i connected to globe telecom/innove, i can surf, as long as the G is in the box i can still surf. As i have said before that ip carrier is switching randomly, but i can only experience that when i disconnected the connection meaning unboxxing the G icon. Does this mean that in nokia when the G icon boxes has a continous connection to our network?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi