Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures

Author HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures
erazer007
X1 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-11 11:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Here are the unboxing pictures of the HTC HD2. These pictures are taken with an Apple iPhone 3GS by our good friend Centrinos.

View all pictures here
http://www.fonearena.com/blog[....]d2-unboxing-photo-gallery.html
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2009-11-27 12:27 ]
Samsung Galaxy S II
Blackberry 9100 Pearl, 9300 Curve
Nokia-N8,N95 8GB, N91, N90, E90
Sony Ericsson-W580, W800, S700, T303, C702
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 02:08
strange that we don't have a dedicate HD2 topic but anyway... I was deciding between the TG01 and the Hero and even put out a wanted ad for the Hero but today I started reading up some more on the HD2.

I loved the look of the original HD but as I was new to the iPhone I didn't feel justified in getting the HD, especially has it held its value well for quite a while, and even now still sells for around £300.

It was really the resistive screen of the TG01 that put me off but the HD2 has a capacitive screen with multi touch and it also has a 480 x 800 resolution in 4.3".

today I also read that the HTC HD2 will be officially upgradeable to Windows Mobile 7 and if that story is to be believed, it makes the HD2 a unit with a fairly good life span, and so I have now ordered one

can't wait!
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 03:09
Ahh, Big M... Thought you was gonna be a part of the Hero crew as I am soon to be... (new year that is)...

Was looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it to be honest!

Well congrats on the order, hope you like... Looks a bit too big for me...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 03:16
it was a close thing, but perhaps I'll wait for the X10 now

the HD2 reminds me very much of the iPaq hx4700 which had a 4" screen and was ahead of its time but really, at 121 x 67 x 11mm compared with iPhone 116 x 62 x 12mm, the HD2 is not really that much bigger but everything I read and view about it suggests its the closest to iPhone so far.

all I need to do is find a good iTunes compatible sync utility for music, videos and podcasts and I'll be even happier with it
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 04:48
Oh the iPaq days, I remember them!

Yeah, not too much difference in size really when you compare them directly... Well with that processor is should be pretty snappy and HTC do seem to be on to something with this Sense UI, the more I see of it the more I want a device with it!
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 16:13
Even though htc have done an excellent job, now that I've ordered it, my memory of previous winmo phones has come flooding back! I don't like the idea of messing around with cab files and having to fix things gone wrong. That said I haven't had a winmo since 2006 but I doubt much has changed there.

I've opted for this since it's got a complete spec and a useful lockscreen that shows you your appointments, which is handy to me. Though I haven't found out how many appointments it shows? Todays only, next 48 hours or next 3 appointments?

I probably would have preffered an iPhone 3gs but it's just too expensive and I would have to give up any well earned upgrade discount. Here's hoping winmo 6.5 is good enough. Not too keen on the new winmo Homescreen, doesn't show enough info.

I'm sure winmo 7 will work on this and htc will even provide the update but next summer seems far away.

Didn't use email on my last winmo, it does support HTML email?

londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 18:59
My hd2 has arrived. Build Quality is excellent. Feels like your holding a piece of metal. UI is speedy and to answer my own question the lockscreen only shows your next appointment.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 19:04
mine arrives tomorrow

Its not been that long since I had WM but I do recall that being configurable, possibly in the today screen settings, or maybe its was due to SPB plus or one of the other extensions I use.

I'll learn it all again tomorrow!
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 19:19
I can change the homescreen to show upcoming events but not the lockscreen which is the one new in 6.5 with the sliders that move left or right at the top and the time at the bottom.

As for the keyboard, if you get on with the iphone the keyboard's not bad at all.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-26 19:09
My wife decided to step out for 10 minutes yesterday, and they were the 10 minutes the phone was trying to be delivered!

got it today though and so far I'm well impressed. By far the best WM I have used, and the screen is to die for!

one problem so far is that I can get it to login to my youtube account, it keeps saying "there was a connection error while attempting to log on", although I know my credentials are correct. Thats with wifi or 3g
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 01:02
Don't have a YouTube account so not tried it. Though I get similar error when trying to set 'my location' for the weather. You cant seem to manually set your own location and through gps it fails. Gps elsewhere works.

It's a good phone apart from a few niggles in usability. Much faster to react than my iPhone 2g. And yeah the screen is great!

The web browser doesn't display pages as well as safari on the iPhone. Especially when it comes to a line of buttons across the screen. I would also like to be able to turn reflow off.

Two major improvements that make it usuable at all. The keyboards as good as the iPhones for me and I've not struggled to use the finger to select anything like previous winmo stylus devices.

Ps, the iPhone headset works for music at least play/stop does.

Where's the best place for apps on the net?

Masseur, would you say it's faster than the 3gs?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 01:18
I'd say its as fast as the 3gs, and I can see HTC is trying very hard to match the iPhone but it definitly doesn't do it quite as easily or eloquently as the iphone does itself.

that said, its by far the best WM device I have ever used, and there is alot of added value in the default sim free unit (I gather youtube is missing from the tmob version, for example).

Its easy to be taken in by the beautiful screen but actually, if the iphone has this 4.3" beast, it would complete it for me. The screen is very responsive to the touch and unlike the iphone works with the full finger as well as the finitite touch of a finger nail.

I'm into the 15 day trial of the CoPilot, and its not a bad solution, but I'll be trying to see if the Garmin I have will work on this screen resolution.

I actually think IE in 6.5 does a fair job compared to Safari and I also like the way you can download and install the Java google maps and your don't have to run it from some Java environment like we used to have to. In fact google maps looks excellent on this screen but I'm not sure if its just the extra reolution that makes it look so great.

I really had just about given up on WM after the X1 but now this has brought freshness to my mobile perspective and I do feel now that iPhone has to push ahead more than it has previously with the challenge of the HD2
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 13:35
oh dear, I'm very much liking this HD2. So much so that after using it all morning, and then getting my iPhone out, the iPhone styling suddenly feels quite old fashioned! still can't get youtube to login to my account and HTC support just want me to do a hard reset, so maybe I'll do that over the weekend. The Microsoft app store (Marketplace) doesn't have alot to offer and does appear to be more costly than iPhone apps.

anyway, a few days ago Plemix created an HD2 unboxing topic but as we already had one I removed it and asked him to repost here. He hasn't done so yet and so I will do the honours....
---------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Plemix
The first time laid my eyes on HTC HD2, I am amazed by its ostentatiously huge and amazingly slim. The cinematic 4.3” display makes me totally fall for it. Actually, it is the latest version of the Touch HD which was the undisputed leader on the Windows Mobile smartphone market in 2008. After a year, the new comer has been improved a lot. Featuring killer spec of gigantic capacitive screen, 1GHz Snapdragon Processor and 448MB RAM, 5MP auto-focus camera with dual LED flash…Let’s take a closer look at it.

What’s inside the box? The HTC HD2 phone, battery, USB sync cable, AC adapter, Power plug, 3.5mm stereo headset, Pouch and the Quick start Guide.

With the 4.3” display, HD2 looks big in size. It can’t be used with just single hand, but quite thin. A screen that big should has its consequence, right? It weight 157 grams which is understandable as the screen is covered by glass and the battery cover is all metal.

The hardware controls on the HD2 has been increased over its predecessor: all together five hardware keys below the display. The Menu key is the new comer which appears on the WinMo 6.5 device such as Touch2.

The left side of the phone hosts only a volume rocker.

The bottom part of the phone hosts the 3.5mm standard audio jack, the microUSB port and the microphone pinhole.

Turn to the back, you’ll see the 5MP camera lens and the dual LED flash is just next to it.

Removing the steel back cover, you’ll find the reset pinhole along with the microSD card slot which can handle full 16GB microSD card with problem-free.

The HD2 with the stylish carrying pouch. We are impressed by the pouch as it looks very grand.

PocketPC regulars are certainly familiar with the TouchFLO interface. However, HD2 has upgraded but still cool TouchFLO 3D plus the features found in the Sense UI pioneered on the HTC Hero. It becomes more content and full of eye-candy. As of runs on Windows Mobile 6.5, the Start menu comes in a honeycomb pattern, which makes touch control even more comfortable.

HD2 comes with the latest Opera browser which is extensively touch-optimized and supports multi-touch. On the big capacitive screen along with the powerful hardware, the web browsing experience on the HD2 is excellent. Pages look great and the pinch zoom is very smooth and fast with no visible lag.

The details of the HD2 hardware: 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 448 MB RAM…It got a bundle of groundbreaking hardware.

Surprisingly, we found the unexpected features on HD2: the ringer volume level that immediately scales down when the phone detects that you have picked it up and the display that automatically adjusts to the light level in your surroundings and turns off to prevent false screen touches during a call. With groundbreaking features, high performance and elegant design, however, comes with a relatively high price tag. Or you can check on its opponents, Toshiba TG01 and Acer neoTouch also with giant screen and fast CPU, both of them are at lower price but features less UI customizations, resistive touchscreens and less RAM.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 13:35
There is a side by side compared review of the 3GS and HTC on Phone Arena
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 14:57
its always nice to post a link

here is that comparison

wasn't fussed with their conclusion which seems to be a whole lot of nothingreally!

anyway, has anyone else grabbed one of these? I can't put the thing down and that reminds me of my first days with the iPhone. As I got into podcasting with the iPhone, I never used it on WM before so I'm trying to find the best app to manage the downloads etc in the same way that itunes does for me. There's a few other "catch-up" type apps I'm after too, but I'm in no hurry and I'll take my time.

A hard reset didn't fix the you tube account login issue so I'll buzz HTC again as I dont find any other solution on the next, though a few people have reported the same problem.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi