Esato

Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > p800 for hk..

Author p800 for hk..
DioS
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-27 10:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hi there its my first post here, nice to meet you all

anyone have the faintest idea of when will p802 be released?

and is there anyone from hk?

[ This Message was edited by: DioS on 2003-01-27 09:53 ]
vinko
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-29 12:42
The information from the official SE Greater China Distributor is that it will be around the end of Feb.
clm
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-02-04 08:47
So what is the deal with the P802? Will it support Traditional and Simplified Chinese? That would rock...

Also, will one be able to write the characters on to the phone and it will recognise them? Does the normal P800 have English handwriting recognition too?

[ This Message was edited by: clm on 2003-02-04 07:56 ]
vinko
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-02-06 20:35
The P802 will support Simplified Chinese only.

P800c will Traditional Chinese, the HK version will have Strokes and Pinyin input methods where as the Taiwanese version will have BoPoMoFo and Strokes input methods.

Yes, all models of P800 series has handwriting recognition, it is better than what is available from a PalmOS device, but it is not the intelligent learning type found on Apple's Newton.
clm
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-02-08 07:05
Thanks vinko.

So I take it that both the P800c and P802 do recognition of Chinese characters? I guess I'll have to make a choice... I learn Mandarin (so am more familiar with simplified) but I have more friends who are from Hong Kong (where I'd use traditional)!

I think it's a shame that the SE phones don't have installable language support, so that you can have whichever languages you want on the phone.

A short while later...

I was just looking at the P800/P802 whitepaper. It has left me a bit confused.

It notes that, out of the four markets (China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan), only the Singapore P800 model will have English as an alternative UI language. Is this really true? If I buy a HK P800 or a China P802, I won't be able to use English in the menus etc.? If so, this would be really bad. My Chinese isn't good enough to survive without English menus! -_-

And, is the China P802 the only model of the Chinese models which has the lunar calendar?

Thanks again.

[ This Message was edited by: clm on 2003-02-08 06:33 ]
arnoldxt
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-02-08 21:04
@clm
i will live in Perth after March for my studying~

I think, P800c will support both Traditional and Simplified characters.
but, P802 supports simplified chinese only. coz my T29 can display simplified even type simplified characters. My T29 is official product from HK Ericsson. however, will it support both simplified and traditional recognition of chinese characters...... well, i don't know

u may ask your friends to buy SE phones in HK. Coz all official SE phones support English, Simplified and Traditional chinese.

actually, P800c supports English UI as well. u may find it carefully.
and i did post the quote in my previous post (several days ago)
furthermore, all chinese ver. of P800 included (P802) contain lunar calender and dictionary.

clm, are u local aussie? you seems very interested in chinese.
clm
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-02-09 02:54
Thanks for the info, arnoldxt.

I have a T68i which was bought in HK, and it only has traditional chinese. So if there was the option to get a phone that had both simplified and traditional, I'd take it.

And yes, I am a local Aussie. It's just that I have a few friends from different parts of Asia (HK, China, Malaysia) and I've learnt a few years of Mandarin, so I like all things Chinese.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi