Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Android or Next Gen Iphone?

123  Next
Author Android or Next Gen Iphone?
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2009-10-30 00:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I use Macbook Pro Leapord and according to my taste and likes I love it!
I don't really care about softwares or any applications when its compared with windows but I do want a stable OS which doesn't hang nor give me virus and for that reason Mac OSX works awsome!

Currently am using Sony Ericsson Xperia. After P1i, I havn't been happy with any Sony Ericsson phones in the market. Either HTC or Blackberry gives a hard competition now to Sony Ericsson unlike before it was Nokia vs Sony Ericsson.

The market has changed a lot and it's getting very technical and advanced day by day. I don't really see Sony Ericsson catching up anywhere there. I know they have advanced models like Xperia 2 and now Rachel but the fact is I waited for a year for Xperia and by that time many new advanced cell phones had come and I prolly think it will be the same again cause after Andorid Rachel I doubt for good sales of X2 and after Rachel we don't have any news on next Sony Ericsson smartphone while HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Blackberry are lining up with smartphones. Oh btw even LG is getting smart with smartphones!

I really like Xperia 3 Rachel and I've seen Android screenshots and reviews and found very intresting and smart but not to forget Iphone's OS may look like a fun toy phone or something but it does have a very good UI without any lag. I strongly believe next generation Iphone will be even more advanced then what is it now and whatever features it doesn't have, they have like 1000 applications now so that's another big advantage for having an Iphone. Browsing internet on iphone is beautiful it's without any lag again and don't have to give yourself a hardtime like on WM. sometimes it connects sometimes it doesn't. WM has never been stable so I dont really want to talk about it. Thought WM 7 has a very good UI but after Android it doesn't really impress me much.

What is speical about Android? There is no doubt if I'll buy Windows/Android then it will be Sony Ericsson for sure but I'm stuck cause I really like Iphone OSX and it's very smooth and has almost everything a smartphone must have.

MY QUESTION:
Will Sony Ericsson Android Phone (Rachel/Any other next SE Android) will be able to compete Next Gen Iphone?
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-10-30 00:19
You have to wait to compare till new iPhone come out.
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-10-30 02:42
When you think of it, Apple have never really dazzled tech freaks with their iPhones.
It's just that the phone itself is so easy to get acquainted with and Appstore that makes it worth a consideration.
I have however never considered an iPhone myself. simply because I want to be able to personalize my phone more than just giving it a new theme.
I could keep on forever but I do not intend to derail this thread.
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2009-10-31 00:28
1st I'm not really comparing Iphone. I'm comparing Android Vs Iphone OSX.
I use to personalize my cell phone a lot before like downloading themes, pictures and then re-size them according to the pixel of the screen. Honestly.. been there and done that!
I want a smooth and smart and quick OS which has good shortcuts and a good UI.
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
sealover94
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-10-31 00:37
It's all about the apps i think...

apps (iphone) vs specs (xperia x10) ...
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-10-31 00:41
It's amazing that some people still believe that the iPhone will get all the 'missing features' of other phones. This will never happen. Apple will only add features they feel like or can make money out of (like Genius).

If you are a Mac fan then get an iPhone, you'll love the way it seamlessly integrates with your Mac. Even better if you subscribe to MobileMe. The 3Gs is pretty good I hear, I wouldn't expect anything revolutionary from iPhone Mk IV.

My iPhone 3G 8GB is not fast. In fact it's the slowest UI I have ever used and the accelerometer can be timed with a calender when rotating photos. The Palm Pre is much snappier.

Windows Mobile seems to have been backed into a corner appealing only to those who've always bought WM and don't want to give up their Information Management apps.

Android looks like being 'the iPhone platform for non-iPhone users' and as a very happy Windows 7 user, that's where I'm going next. Rachael has a snappy UI...
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
sealover94
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-10-31 00:51

On 2009-10-31 00:41:58, carkitter wrote:
It's amazing that some people still believe that the iPhone will get all the 'missing features' of other phones. This will never happen. Apple will only add features they feel like or can make money out of (like Genius).

Android looks like being 'the iPhone platform for non-iPhone users' and as a very happy Windows 7 user, that's where I'm going next. Rachael has a snappy UI...

what about the Android's apps @carkitter?? Apps are those that make a device useful
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2009-10-31 22:17
I was reading about Rachel on www.i4u.com and they say that Rachel will be the most powerful smartphone. Well that sounds really nice to me but again, I'm looking for the best OS in terms of speed and features.
Yes it's true that Iphone OSX does not have all the features that a powerful smartphone must have but it's fast, while you say your Iphone is not that good in speed well that is something to think about.
I think I shall wait for Rachel and see what performance it gives.
Thank you guys! really appreciate your help
Happy Halloween !!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-11-02 18:07

My iPhone 3G 8GB is not fast. In fact it's the slowest UI I have ever used and the accelerometer can be timed with a calender when rotating photos. The Palm Pre is much snappier.

The Palm Pre is know to be considerably slower than than the 3GS, that has similar hardware. But of course, it will be faster than a previous generation iphone.

The 3GS, belive me, IS fast.
[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2009-11-02 17:07 ]
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-04 15:50

Have to say (like Ares) I'm pretty surprised by this too. My 3G 8GB is plenty fast enough - there's the very occasional second-or-so pause when opening things like messages, but navigating around is very fast, picture flipping as instant as you'd expect, generally everything is very smooth and quick - and that's with a year's load of data on board, packed with music, and 111 apps installed.

I tried the Palm Pre (in fact, three Palm Pre's) in the O2 store the other day and I found the UI to be very laggy and jerky in comparison, not very responsive or quick compared to my 3G, let alone the 3GS. Actually I read today on Engadget that Palm are aware of the issue and promising an update to speed it up - http://www.engadget.com/2009/[....]d-fix-in-the-immediate-future/

I'm not doubting your experience - it's your phone, you know how fast/slow it is - but are you absolutely sure it doesn't need some form of attention? Maybe a restore? Is it jailbroken, and if so, is there anything running in the background that needs sorting out?

@Indiandawg - I've kind of done the opposite to you - bought an iPhone last year, and liked it so much I just switched to a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. Predictably the iPhone works brilliantly with it, so I'd definitely recommend it to you too.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-11-04 14:51 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-05 12:02
My iPhone is not jailbroken (perhaps it should be?) and I'm not keen to do a restore as I don't trust iTunes an inch.

I have always found my iPhone to be slow, right from day one. I have the screen brightness set to auto but it does nothing so when outside I have to turn the brightness up manually and that means it's too bright at night so I often find myself changing the screen brightness twice a day. Entering the Settings menu to do this is very slow - every time.
Opening messages is slow. Loading webpages is slow - remember I use a Vodem on my laptop so both devices are using the same 3G reception, yet the iPhone loads slower. Rotating webpages has sped up a little since firmware 3.0 but is still slow enough that it looks jerky, sometimes a webpage won't rotate at all but that is rare since 3.0. Opening and changing tabs in Safari is so slow as to be called laboured. I'm not a fan of Safari browser in general but Safari 4 is impressively fast; Mobile Safari (in the iPhone) is much less impressive and is saved only by the 3.5" screen and touch interface which is way cool. Pictures are slow to rotate, camera app is slow to open and closing the app is jerky, not smooth, in fact most of the animations and transitions are not smooth. Apple's apps are less reliable than third party apps in my opinion.

I knew that going to a smartphone was going to result in UI lag but that still doesn't prepare you for it. I can see why they added 50% more clock speed to the processor in the 3Gs. I'm pretty excited that Rachael (sorry X10) has 2.5x the clock speed of my iPhone.

My comments on the Palm Pre were based on a side by side accelerometer comparison I saw on Youtube prior to the arrival of the 3Gs. I have no first hand experience of the Pre as it's not available in NZ in any way, shape or form. If it was, I would have no hesitation in checking it out.

Recently I bought a G705 and it's A200 UI was extremely quick. Absolutely killed the iPhone for response. Unfortunately it's email client had it's butt kicked by the iPhone when trying to manage 3 email accounts so it had to go.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-11-05 11:05 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-05 12:39
@carkitter - ok, forget the restore (probably wouldn't help anyway) but how often do you plug in to itunes? I just wonder whether it needs to backup or something. Honestly, while I can relate to the occasional delay opening some apps, I've always found scrolling the menus etc to be smooth as butter, as is the accelerometer etc. It's all subjective, and I haven't used a featurephone in earnest for some time, but the iPhone is easily the fastest smartphone I've picked up. The 3GS more so, obviously, but the 3G has never been a slouch for me.

I'm looking for some clue to a problem somewhere... why do you mistrust itunes so much? I know it's not a lot of fun on Windows, depending on the hardware, but does it often play up for you? I'm just wondering if a problem with your itunes installation/library is somehow causing problems for the iPhone in turn.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-05 12:56
I also have no performance issues with the iPhone, although I do have the 3GS, but I never did before either.
I can't imagine what they will do for the next gen, but I can't imagine not using the iPhone in future as it just does everything I need.

I'd like to try an android phone and was tempted by the Hero. The X10 is already losing my interest with its mixed messages of its features etc, but that may change closer to release time, whenever that might be.

I use iTunes on windows every night when I conect to charge my phone, and every morning to load up all the latest video podcasts for the journey to/from work, it makes the journey much nicer! I've only ever had one issue with itunes and that was when it somehow lost all my apps but a quick email to Apple caused them to set something that allowed them to download again and I learned from there how to specifically backup the apps, although I already regularly back up my pc.

As with every other iphone or ??? topic, its not about matching phone feature for phone feature. its going to take a whole new user experience, not just a new phone, to get me away from the iphone. Right now I can only imagine something else matching the experience I already have on iphone, but not neccessarily bettering it, and thats what itunes and mobile me bring.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-05 13:20
I always found itunes thunderously slow and cumbersome on our old (and slow) PC, but it's a revelation on the new Mac, and I don't doubt it's probably fine on a faster PC too. Can't say I've ever had any real reliability problems with it though - it's not (touch wood) ever lost anything, and with a bit of messing about I was able to transfer everything between the PC/iPhone/Mac too.
DJ_NeO2
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-11-05 21:43
@ carkitter and Boinng
I don't think there's any reason to mistrust iTunes, I use it every minute, I have a iMac now, but I used to be a heavy windows user, and have tried winamp, WMP, BSPLAYER, and a lot of other players, and iTunes seems to be perfect for me, it backs up everything into its separate folder, you can convert files, you can download stuff, and it's totally reliable concerning backups, playlists and stuff like that, because it backs it all up on your hard disk all the time, but it doesn't take any more space then it needs to, it only takes space for the files you have in it. iPhone may be slow because of running apps in the background, this can be easily fixed on a jailbroken iPhone(which is DEFINITELY WORHT IT! btw) with SBSetting where you can have toggles for everything you need,processes(where you can shut down all the processes that are running) bluetooth, brightness, volume, iPod, SSH, Wi-Fi, Auto-Lock, Auto-Correction, Location, Phone, 3G, Push, Edge, Safari DL and so many more, you can also download BACKGROUNDER and it shows you which apps are running, but you need some other app to shut them down. I use this on my 3G[S] and I always have 160 mb "RAM" free... I am always aware of what happens to my phone and can turn on/off all the things I need in a second, you can also respring, reboot, turn off, hide icons, etc...And you access it anywhere with a simple swipe on the statusbar:) Hope this helps, if you have any questions, just ask:)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi