Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > yet another "unlimited" data discussion - was: whats wrong with o2 retentions

Author yet another "unlimited" data discussion - was: whats wrong with o2 retentions
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2009-10-24 17:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Am due an upgrade on my K850i, so today i walked into CPW to play with some handsets.
CPW Salesman offers to upgrade me to Satio with o2 free on £30 month tarriff, £5 more than I pay now
or Orange same price but with unlimited txt and nice big data allowance.

So move on a couple of hours and I ring retentions, guy checks and offers me phone for a nice one off price of £220
WTF , no budging even told me to get it from CPW as they will never offer to match that.

Are they mental ? whats best number to ring and how many times will I have to call before I get someone to talk sense.
Very miffed right now.
BTW it was over 24months.
Seriously considering Orange right now as reception is pants at home, I was cut off because of low signal twice whilst in queue to retentions lol
[ This Message was edited by: larry 68 on 2009-10-24 16:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2009-11-04 09:00 ]
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2009-11-02 23:22
Well just an update to say, o2 really are hit and miss, had another go at retentions today and got the same old, £220 and £35 a month offer for the satio.

Tried again 10 mins later and got a different guy trailing the new tariffs and voila, free satio, 600 mins ,1000 txt and unlimited data for £30.

Wonder how many people fell for the £75 a month tariff they where selling it on last week
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-02 23:54
I have no idea how on earth you managed to get such a good deal out of them, but O2's prices are sky high right now. It sucks. CPW and O2 are different companys, hence, hello? Different prices

My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 00:24
James you been quiet. Have you got a new job out of O2 yet?
Phone?? What phone??
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-03 09:22
Not as such, was moved to a store 25 miles down the road and given enough overtime to make it full time hours, but even thats starting to disapear now with cut backs. Moved into my own place as well, so haven't had as much time for anything these days really.

In regards to the company, personaly? I think the whole things going down the pan. Don't want to say too much, I'm all to aware that they read this forum.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 10:06
I got my Satio 2 weeks ago from CPW, free phone, £30 p/m over 24 months, 600 mins, unlimited texts.

Btw when they say unlimited data, it isnt. Its 500mb per calender month.

O2 are next to useless when it comes to contracts these days. Dont bother going through them to get an upgrade. The best place is usually CPW. I went in expecting to walk away disappointed because O2 only supported the iPhone (thankfully Orange have it also now) over the past 2 years, but when i told them the Satio was now available on O2 they checked their computer and found it so. Within 10 minutes i walked out with a Satio for free. Unlocked and unbranded. Not bad at all.

Lastly, you do get more for less these days due to the recession and competitor networks all wanting your guaranteed finance over 2 years. So im paying £10 less p/m and getting double what i was getting back then. Oh and a free top spec phone.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 12:06
O2 the biggest network making millions and making cut backs. Seems no one is immune.
Phone?? What phone??
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-03 20:15

On 2009-11-03 10:06:39, etaab wrote:
Btw when they say unlimited data, it isnt. Its 500mb per calender month.

It seems to only be on this forum people assume this...

It's unlimited. Unlimited is just that. Unlike other networks (anyone looked at Orange's paltry 750MB/month limit on the iPhone?), we don't have a fair usuage policy, but an excessive usage policy. It means that if you use it for connecting your phone to your PC to use as a modem, consistently downloading HUGE files or generally using it so much you start to affect other paying customers using the network, thats when they'll be having words. Until then, browse to your hearts content.
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-03 21:30
I have "unlimited" data on both my O2 and Orange contracts, I have received texts from O2 telling me "you've gone over your data allowance on your mobile. you need to cut down or get a bigger Bolt On to keep using the internet" I have yet to be scorned by Orange or exceed their paltry limit as I have with O2, and I use the Orange device more......
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 22:11
Its not an assumption. Its a fact.

Even the O2 bolt on for unlimited internet has a 500mb limit. Therefore the word unlimited is misused by the operators.

Like Nanu has said, he has received a text before from O2. So have i when i had the bolt on. After 2 weeks of regular but not over the top use i had used up my 500mb allowance. If you like to browse full (not mobile versions of) websites such as facebook which are often a couple of megabyte in size 500mb of allowance is rather paltry. I can use up 500mb in a week on facebook alone.

Daedalus85, i dont intend to be offensive when i say this but for someone who works for O2 then you should know this. My experience of O2 and all mobile phone retail sales people is they very little understanding of the network they work for and the handsets they are responsible for selling. If the data is unlimited, then why do O2 send out such texts ? why do O2 put a clause into the small print of the bolt on service or in the small print of any point of sale within their stores or places such as CPW or P4U ?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 22:15
guys, haven't we had this "unlimited" discussion several times before with exactly the same comments and lack of agreement

...but isn't this topic actually about O2 retentions and their lack of consistancy?
nicv27
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 22:18
Blimey you lot must be on your data plans all day i use a bold on o2. I hardly make any calls but am on twitter and Facebook daily so much so that i empty the battery on a daily basis. Prior to this i had a 3g iphone and used it to the same extent and in nearly 2 years have never once received an excessive usage text..
Samsung Galaxy S3 White iPad 2 32gb 3G +16/-0 Twitter.nicv27
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 22:28
Yes we discuss again. To clear things up i spoke with a friend in an O2 store near me. She said even the new pay and go text and web tariff IS unlimited. You just get warned of any over the top usage. So if pay and go is unlimited so will be contract. Cleared up. Ok
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 22:54
Like masseur said, its good to keep on topic. But then i had the same unlimited web discussion with O2 in recent months when they called me. So heres my story.

I took out a 12 month contract in January 2008 for a Nokia N95 8gb. After a year had gone by back in January 2009 O2 called to offer an upgrade. I told them i had heard about the announced N97 from Nokia. Obviously not released until June 2009. They promised me that come June i would receive my N97 and to keep paying my contract since they could not offer me a decent replacement which lived up to the N95.

Then the retentions department called me to offer me a new phone in August. I said i wanted the N97 which i had waited since when it was released in June. They said they would not be offering the N97 and have no intention to do so.

I then pointed out to them they promised me the phone upon its release way back in January. The poor retentions rep on the other end of the phone had no idea what to say. He apologised on behalf of O2 and said the retentions rep should not make promises O2 cannot keep. In other words they had me paying £40 per month for nothing. I should have stepped down to a 30 day simplicity contract but needed the extra minutes.

And now for the data footnote. As a way of keeping my custom i demanded O2 include free unlimited internet at no extra cost. They wouldnt, but said even if they did it would still have the same 500mb usage limit. So unless something major has changed at O2 in the past 2 months since that phone call my opinion based on what O2 say when i call them, what CPW tell customers when setting up new contracts, when you read it on point of sale material in stores, when its posted all over the O2 website, when its in all terms and conditions, well then my opinion is that O2 do not offer unlimited internet as people can claim.

Phew, long post for such a damaged pc keyboard as mine !

Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-04 00:22
We've all always been told what I said above, so what else would you like me to think? We've even researched it as we've had customers kick up as much as a stink as the people on here, and we've found out to show them.

The possibility it those of you getting the texts may be on an older version of the unlimited web bolt on, prior to the iPhone. One of Apple's stipulations was that O2 make unlimited truly unlimited, so they did.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi