Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia suing Apple over the infringment of a dozen of patents

Author Nokia suing Apple over the infringment of a dozen of patents
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-10-22 19:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
According to GSMarena.com:

Nokia have obviously had some grudges with Apple ever since the iPhone was introduced in 2007 and now they're even going to court. The reason - well, Apple have used some of Nokia's GSM, UMTS and WLAN patented technologies in all of the three generations of the iPhone, but they seem to be refusing to pay any licensing fees.

As far as we understand, the technologies in question are not a trade secret, but rather fundamental GSM, UMTS and WLAN standards, the establishment of which has taken Nokia quite some R&D time and resources. The use of these technologies has been licensed (for a fee) to all other mobile phone manufacturers since making a modern GSM handset is obviously impossible without using some of those standards (as Nokia claim).

So it's either Apple playing naughty here or their R&D department has come up with some exciting new technology that no one knows about.
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-10-22 19:37
Go Nokia go is all I can say.
Apple are pretty good in sueing other companies for using their pinch method which even isn't invented by themselves.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2009-10-22 18:38 ]
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-10-22 20:45
There seems to have been a few cases of Apple using other peopls technology without getting permission or paying for it.
It seems that Apple steal other peoples tech, integrate into their products and sell it as theirs.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
korbindallis
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-10-23 07:29
I'm with nokia on this one.
[addsig]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-10-23 08:09
I'm a happy iPhone user but I don't like how Apple have started behaving, especially towards us owning officially unlocked iPhones. They have grown too much and Jobs now thinks he's Bill Gates. Someone needs to teach them a lesson so I will be watching the progress of this case.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-10-23 12:34
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Is it really the case that every other manufacturer - SE, Samsung, Motorolla, LG, HTC, RIM, Palm - they all hand over money to Nokia everytime they release a new GSM phone? If that's true, then surely that's not good for competition. Or is it actually the case that only a few have paid some cursory fee, and Nokia are simply chasing Apple for big bucks because they're a big fat target?
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-10-23 12:53

On 2009-10-23 12:34:24, Boinng wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Is it really the case that every other manufacturer - SE, Samsung, Motorolla, LG, HTC, RIM, Palm - they all hand over money to Nokia everytime they release a new GSM phone? If that's true, then surely that's not good for competition. Or is it actually the case that only a few have paid some cursory fee, and Nokia are simply chasing Apple for big bucks because they're a big fat target?

My previous post in this thread briefly explains the situation.
Most companies seem to accept to pay each other a fee to use their technology while Apple don't give a crap about it.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-10-29 16:26
Engadget have an in depth analysis of all this which is worth a read
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi