Esato

Forum > Market > Mobile phones wanted > NEEDED:Unlocking information

Author NEEDED:Unlocking information
kennedyijeh
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-01-26 22:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
IM confused with this whole unlocked and locked phone thing. So you mean that if its unlocked then i can use it with any service? So do I tell them that its unlocked or do i just put in the sim card and it just works? please someone explain it to me.
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-01-27 14:04
Normally when you buy a phone in the Uk and some other countries, the phone is locked to a specific network, this usually means that you pay less for the phone. It also means that ONLY simcards from that network will be accepted by the phone.

Normally after one year you can get the network to unlock your phone for free. In Belgium, Russia, UAE and several other countries you just pay the full price of the phone and you can use your phone everywhere and anywhere you want with any simcard....

hope i have been of some help to you...

kennedyijeh
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-01-29 03:40
Thanks
But How do I buy one of these "unlocked" phones from those countries. Is there a website I can go to?
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-29 07:02
It would be SO much easier if we knew where you are in the world as unlocked phones can be bought in loads of countries, here in the UK there are 4 main networks & only 2 of them regularly lock the phones to their network, O2 & Voda contract phones in UK are mostly not locked. your network can tell if your using a different phone to the one you bought with them but it should`t be a problem. it`s perfectly legal.
Remember you have a larger range of customers to sell to when you eventually sell your unlocked phone so this can justify a £15 - £20 fee to get a phone unlocked if yours is locked to a particular band. also if you buy a phone just put your sim in it & if it works then who cares if it`s locked as it may be locked to your own network.
kennedyijeh
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-02-02 02:30
Im in the United States
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-02-02 07:51
In the UK we have a body called OFTEL (Office of tellecommunications) they make sure we get low call costs & stop monopolies they are also looking into "locking" to see if it`s fair to the consumer, when they decide on something ,the networks have to follow normally.
Sounds like the US needs a similar body from what i hear on esato about your operaters, i`m sure someone said they stop people being able to "capture" pics off wap with a t68i (one of it`s main features) i can`t believe they can get away with it. you need more competition.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi