Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Official Sony Ericsson XPERIA X2 discussion

Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 202122  Next
Author Official Sony Ericsson XPERIA X2 discussion
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-09-06 21:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-09-06 11:47:48, doministry wrote:
For me it's simple.
I want WM, Rachael is on Android.
Plus no keyboard, no hardware controls.
End of the story.

I'm beginning to wonder do we really need a physical keyboard any longer. Apple with multitouch has done a fantastic job - I was hoping X2 would implement this. Also with the touch screen why do we need an optical scroll? It looks useful in landscape keyboard exposed mode but in portrait mode should it even be needed?

WM6.5 is much better than any previous version, looking much like the ZuneHD UI and its very functional and adjustable like apps similar to SPB Shell. The only REAL gamble is when WM7 is released next summer/fall would applications still be abundant, and costly for WM6.5 and previous versions. WM7 will break those apps currently out.

WM Experts or that other site will definately improve the speed on X2; which already is very fast.

SE was still arrogant not to include auto rotation, when the hardware is now there to support it.

oh and @Tigon, thanks for the video. That is something should have released. Their official video barely shows X2 at all and only 1/3 of the length of the video do we see X2. Stupid marketing department.

Rachel looks interesting but I'm not banking on it having equal specs or getting Android upgrades. T-mobile usa is already getting screwed by updated android being left out of their HTC 'myTouch' 2nd gen android device.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2009-09-06 21:34
Not everyone wants a virtual keyboard that takes up half or 2/3 of the screen, and not everyone wants/need a iPhone clone, diversity is needed.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-09-07 13:12

On 2009-09-06 21:14:38, Prom1 wrote:

On 2009-09-06 11:47:48, doministry wrote:
For me it's simple.
I want WM, Rachael is on Android.
Plus no keyboard, no hardware controls.
End of the story.

I'm beginning to wonder do we really need a physical keyboard any longer. Apple with multitouch has done a fantastic job - I was hoping X2 would implement this. Also with the touch screen why do we need an optical scroll? It looks useful in landscape keyboard exposed mode but in portrait mode should it even be needed?

WM6.5 is much better than any previous version, looking much like the ZuneHD UI and its very functional and adjustable like apps similar to SPB Shell. The only REAL gamble is when WM7 is released next summer/fall would applications still be abundant, and costly for WM6.5 and previous versions. WM7 will break those apps currently out.

WM Experts or that other site will definately improve the speed on X2; which already is very fast.

SE was still arrogant not to include auto rotation, when the hardware is now there to support it.

oh and @Tigon, thanks for the video. That is something should have released. Their official video barely shows X2 at all and only 1/3 of the length of the video do we see X2. Stupid marketing department.

Rachel looks interesting but I'm not banking on it having equal specs or getting Android upgrades. T-mobile usa is already getting screwed by updated android being left out of their HTC 'myTouch' 2nd gen android device.

Well I don't wonder - NO KEYBOARD = NO DEVICE.

Any virtual keyb is an ultimate CR..P compared to a real one.

I mean for quick sms is fine,
but for serious email and office docs - is ultimately needed.

Plus c'mon - don't you just see how much more functional are these hardware keyboards,
compared to actually retarded virtual ones?

Yes the virual one takes most of the screen - quite pathetic for me...

As for WM, the best one of the virtual is.... default one, however too small, it has the best functions!

---

Funny, 'cos it's a quite positive preview from Eldar:

http://www.mobile-review.com/[....]/2009/sonyericsson-x2-en.shtml
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2009-09-07 12:14 ]
a w a r e
i-am-andrew
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 13:49

I'm beginning to wonder do we really need a physical keyboard any longer.

For me, a hardware keyboard is what really makes having a phone like this worthwhile. Virtual keyboards use a lot of screen space and I wouldn't want the phone to be much wider than it is. I also avoid touching the screen with my fingers to keep it clean, using a stylus wouldn't give the advantages of a QWERTY keyboard. But maybe I'm just a greaseball!

Everyone has different tastes, but I think the hardware keyboard is one of the X1 and X2's biggest strengths.
naji123
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 15:03
hi guys i had got an email from se developers.
here is the link to new X2
Link text...
Domecot
Apple Iphone 5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-09-07 16:21
Hey guys
IS the X2 like the X1 made from HTC or is it pure Sony Ericsson???
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 16:27
Not sure there's such a thing as a "pure" SE these days - but the X2 happens to be made by Foxconn, not HTC. Very similar internal design though (same processor).
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-09-07 15:30 ]
Domecot
Apple Iphone 5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-09-07 16:36

On 2009-09-07 16:27:44, Boinng wrote:
Not sure there's such a thing as a "pure" SE these days - but the X2 happens to be made by Foxconn, not HTC. Very similar internal design though (same processor).
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-09-07 15:30 ]

thanks
KU
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 18:56
Is it possible to watch dailymotion videos on this phone ?
[ This Message was edited by: KU on 2009-09-07 18:19 ]
mariozlp
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 20:11
Though i was going for Satio, and then i saw X2. damn so many differences but so great both. which should i choose?? according to what i'm looking is entertainment think i should choose Satio, but X2 is classy and well design (in my opinion).
Damn SE why 2 nice devices ?? U should do 1 every time...
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-09-07 21:31

On 2009-09-07 13:49:54, i-am-andrew wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder do we really need a physical keyboard any longer.

For me, a hardware keyboard is what really makes having a phone like this worthwhile. Virtual keyboards use a lot of screen space and I wouldn't want the phone to be much wider than it is. I also avoid touching the screen with my fingers to keep it clean, using a stylus wouldn't give the advantages of a QWERTY keyboard. But maybe I'm just a greaseball!

Everyone has different tastes, but I think the hardware keyboard is one of the X1 and X2's biggest strengths.

That is quote funny.

Physical keyboards - qwerty will takeup MORE space almost everytime on a device! Virtual keyboards can be rotated to portrait mode and then become a T9. X2 will allow a virtual T9 but only in portrait mode I believe.

There are only 2 devices on the market that offer qwerty and are as small or as 'narrow' as just about any regular feature phone using numerical T9 entry: Nokia E71 (which I've owned 3 times and still do as my ONLY mobile) and the BlackBerry 8100 series (Nokia E55 as well).

I know ALL about qwerty keypads on smartphones, as I not only use them exclusively but support them as well (BB's). I'm definately not know to qwerty. But qwerty without a proper text edit, prediction, and library edit for prediction means NOTHING; you get no power except basic character input. If you're unsure look at a few of my older posts on my blog to fully understand.

I'm just at a cross-roads because I've tried typing on the iPhone 3G this past weekend and it gives me the ability to:
press & hold a character, slide to the right one BEFORE entering it in. cannot do this on physical.

Not many physical keyboards on smartphones allow for touch typing (without your eyes fully paying attention to the keys). Sure software based keyboards will possibly never allow this either. However only the BB 8820 was I able to walk through a crowded subway station without ever looking at the device and be able to accurately type a full paragraph in an email. I have yet to accomplish this on the E71 since last August or any other qwerty.

So my point is ... if a software qwerty can be implemented, with piezo feedback on the screen (not silent mode vibration doing feedback), then what do you really need to see the full screen for??
When you're typing an email you really only need to see the following:
* Time & Date
* Network/Data Signal strength status.
* other status notification icons.
* possibly a 1 line scrollable bar showing maximum 10-15characters scrolling for important messages/notifications in text.

You don't need to see a picture of whom your typing to; you've already seen that when replying/composing/forwarding to. You don't need to see the background cool image, your concentrating on the text you're entering. When you need to see a file manager when attaching items at THAT time the keyboard will/should disappear until fully attached; at which point after you can continue composing your message.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 21:41
For me only real keyboard, sorry prom:-) I used to it on P990, then P1 and now with X1 it is a must have. And x2 keyboard looks fantastic:-)
Waka
P900
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 22:06
Well count me in for the NO KEYBOARD club . Why on earth would anyone want a phone with that extra bulk and expense?

While I don't want an iphone, it is an amazing device and Apple has shown what can be done with a decent screen/interface.

There's a reason the latest higher-end phones (Touch HD2, SE X3 Rachael etc.) have no keyboards, thy are REDUNDANT!
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 22:09
For me, a touchscreen keyboard is better but I specifically refer to the iPhone keyboard. It's capacitive keyboard is as responsive as a hardware keyboard, it corrects your words so you can press in the area of the letter not necessarily the exact letter and still type exactly what you want and you can keep your fingers light and fast because you only need to lightly tap instead of press the button in.

All windows mobile and Se touchscreen keyboards are not comparable and are completely crap.

KU
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-07 22:35
I agree capcitive screen with multitouch = winner (like the Iphone hero or palm pre) but SE is delivering it late (early 2010 my conntract end up in october ) so even if the qwerty make the phone bulker (and the phone doesn't yet use the accelerometer...) a nice hardware qwerty keyboard is the best solution
Then I think that trading the X2 to the X3 will be a very good deal for those who didn't enjoyed the X2's qwerty
[ This Message was edited by: KU on 2009-09-07 21:36 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 202122  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic