Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhone 3GS discussion

Previous  123 ... 62 636465  Next
Author iPhone 3GS discussion
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 18:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It's been a while since I've posted on Esato.. Hey Masseur how are you? Is anyone contemplating on the new iphone?
well, once there is a jailbreak for it I mean..

I'm happy with my 3GS and although I don't need to be jailbroken, as I am on AT&T's network... I wouldn't have it any other way... Once I jail broke my phone, it opened a whole new world.. LOL just like Disney LOL..

iphone rocks...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 18:17
hey! hows it going?

getting the new iphone is a forgone conclusion for me. I can live with jailbreaking as the app store caters for all my needs these days. I'm wondering if the Apple store will start selling them unlocked now there is no exclusivity

Mind you, I was shown the desire in the office the other day and I was fairly impressed, but I still can't imagine giving up the iphone.
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 18:30
@Masseur.. I'm good thanks! and I'm with you on the iphone. I'll probably hang on to my 3GS and wait and see how the new iphone favors. Then, maybe, just maybe.. go for the new iphone once the devteam or Geohot creates a jailbreak for it.

But I love my 3GS so much, that I highly doubt it. Plus, I'm not certain of the pros and cons of the new iphone. selling my 3GS could mean kicking myself later, if the new iphone has more cons then pros... LOL...
[ This Message was edited by: REO on 2010-05-02 17:31 ]
iphone rocks...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 18:37
it'll be worth upgrading to the new OS 4 when its officially released as that will give some good benefits even before upgrading the hardware.

I'm running the OS4 beta and things like the multi tasking and folders do look good, though the battery life on my 3GS has degraded dramatically so I hope they sort that out before release. The new iphone allegedly has a bigger battery.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 19:10

On 2010-05-02 18:30:10, REO wrote:
But I love my 3GS so much, that I highly doubt it. Plus, I'm not certain of the pros and cons of the new iphone. selling my 3GS could mean kicking myself later, if the new iphone has more cons then pros... LOL...

I have felt a thousand regrets since selling my 3GS. Even more after buying two Nokias for the money since these turned out to be real turds.

Now I am only waiting for the iPhone HD (as tnkgrl called it). If it's too expensive then I will get the 3GS again.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 19:42

I'm running the OS4 beta and things like the multi tasking and folders do look good, though the battery life on my 3GS has degraded dramatically so I hope they sort that out before release. The new iphone allegedly has a bigger battery.

After several hundred charges (and/or being in high temperatures, which lithium ion batteries don't like), all rechargeable batteries basically get severely reduced battery life, requiring replacement of the battery. A bigger battery won't stop this problem. It's the nature of the chemistry that causes this.

No rechargeable battery lasts forever. The chemistry degrades the more it's charged (and heat kills it), eventually resulting in severely reduced battery life.

It's unfortunate that Apple require you to send it back to them for replacement (unless you want to do it yourself), but of course this is a money exercise for them, hoping that most of their customers don't notice (and they don't; most people think rechargeable batteries last forever).

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 19:48
lol, thanks, I'm aware of all that ... but this was an overnight change in battery life immediately upon updating to OS4 beta. I'm not the only one who noticed it as there's a whole topic in the developer forums about it too
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-03 16:10

On 2010-05-02 19:48:14, masseur wrote:
lol, thanks, I'm aware of all that ... but this was an overnight change in battery life immediately upon updating to OS4 beta. I'm not the only one who noticed it as there's a whole topic in the developer forums about it too

Oh I see. So it's that bad, eh.
Maybe with time they will have the code optimised.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 11:40
I traded my 3G for a 3GS last week - strange timing I know, what with the HD on its way, but I knew the resale value of my old non-multitasking 3G would drop like a stone as soon as OS4 and the new iPhone hit. As it was, ebaying the old phone made me more than enough to afford a 3GS on the best value 18mth contract available, so I'm happy.

Anyway, on the subject of batteries - I can honestly say my 18mth old 3G's battery was performing exactly the same as it did when I first got it, and I've no doubt it would (and for its new owner, will) carry on for a good few years yet. I've always felt the "non-removable battery" issue was a complete non-issue, and the trusty 3G proved just that.
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 12:21
My 3GS handset which was replaced starting having battery problems within 1 month... and when I took it to them they said we wont replace the battery and gave me another refurbished handset... So it is a hassle...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 12:29
I replaced ny 3G last year due to dust in the screen, not long before the 3GS came out.

The replacement I got was in perfect condition which couldn't be said about the one I gave them (apart from the dust).

I'm thinking about making some reason to do that again this year as I'll be selling my 3GS as soon as I get the new version
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 14:31

On 2010-05-04 12:21:08, SE-Naz wrote:
My 3GS handset which was replaced starting having battery problems within 1 month... and when I took it to them they said we wont replace the battery and gave me another refurbished handset... So it is a hassle...

So you got an (effectively) new phone rather than just a replacement battery - how is that a hassle? To tell you the truth Apple quality control is proving very poor - I exchanged my first 3GS because of a yellow gradient on the screen, and now I'm noticing an uneven backlight at the top edge of the replacement's screen, so I'm getting this one swapped tomorrow as well. These aren't refurbs either!

It's a bit annoying having to swap for a second time, but at least with itunes backup/restore nothing's really lost. That's one of my favourite things about the iphone actually.
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 14:56
I have had to swap 4 iPhones....

1 Crack
2 Crack
3 Button
4 Battery

All within 5 month period...

And for the backup... It still takes time to restore... depending on how much you have on your phone... It use to take me around 2HRS to set up... On top of the 1HR journey and 30MINS in the Store and the money for travel... So yes it is a hassle...
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 16:13
Like I say, the quality control's not there and that's a shame. But still, the backup/restore works better with the iPhone than any other phone I've had - true, it's a bit of a hassle, but better than having to just wipe and start all over again from scratch.

My 3G developed a small crack above the silent switch after just over a year - out of warranty but maybe I'd have been able to get it changed still if I made enough fuss - but I couldn't really be bothered, it was barely noticeable and the phone was perfect in every other way. I'll keep swapping my 3GS until I get a perfect one though, and I hope all this returns data is getting back to somebody at Apple who can tighten things up. I bought a Macbook Pro last year and the first one of those came through with a factory-installed dent in the aluminium - not good enough!
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2010-05-04 15:17 ]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 17:30
I had a 3GS for about four months and the only complaint I had was that the chrome detail around the phone was easily scratched. Don't use the phone if you haven't shaved as beard stubble is hard enough to make marks in the chrome.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 62 636465  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic