Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhone 3GS discussion

Previous  123 ... 606162 636465  Next
Author iPhone 3GS discussion
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-01 17:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Not relevant at all sorry, but I want to see if anyone agrees?

I just want to say that the iPhone's design is now just under 3 years old, June 2007. A 3.5" display is nothing compared to the HD2 for example. Yes, what Boinng said about the GUI being easy to use etc is true, but it shouldn't be. Apple should (and can) come up with the ultimate phone, boasting value (£30 a month ish), power (HD2 ish specs) and a good UI. This is a combination which is possible, but Apple just got greedy. They should make even a slight change to the design of the phone everytime they bring a new one out, but no, that costs too much and they might lose money . Apple, losing money, am I going mad??

Another thing is, yes, it was their first attempt at a phone, and if it wasn't for advertising, it would have been a faliare, in fact, in my honest opinion, it is. I know lots of people who have an iPhone, and if you ask them why, you get the most pathetic answers ever:
"It looks good when your on the phone"
"Its cool"
"Its good for sat nav"
All of the above might be true, but its still not a good enough reason to buy a £400 phone. And when you do ask the people if they like it, most say I would get something else at the end of my contract. Some even carry a sh!tty old nokia around with them too.
They miss out the simple stuff, such as copy and paste, and have to bring out an update to get it. Childish
Oh, and the last thing, if you ask them about the app store, well, nobody seems to know what it is, because of jailbreaking. There is not one person I know who has an iPhone (out of over 20) that do have one, who has not jailbroken their phone because "the apps are a rip off". Speaks for itself, if you spend £400 on a phone, why don't you get a £20 iTunes voucher to get you started, the reason, greedyness.

Sort it out Apple, its childish
Rant over
Cheers
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 18:25
Leaving aside all the thousands of free apps available in the Appstore, most of the paid apps are pence. Literally pence. £0.59p is the most popular price point for games, a real quality app might be as much as £1.79, your full-on massive productivity suite might be £2.99, £5 tops. Now I'm sorry but anyone describing those kinds of prices as a "rip off" isn't going to buy any software for any device at any price, if they can possibly help it. They're just giving themselves an incredibly weak moral argument for pirating apps, and of course it's actually the developers that end up getting ripped off by that, not Apple.

We can all start quoting anecdotes from friends with an iPhone - I have an iPhone, I know at least ten people personally with an iPhone, and only one has jailbroken - purely to unlock the phone to another network. They all buy and use apps from the appstore. If you asked them why they bought an iPhone they might say things like "it's cool", but I've a good idea that they might also talk about the games, they might also talk about the internet browsing (and net-centric apps like Facebook etc), email, and a lot of other stuff. The key thing is they all love them. That's not me making sweeping statements on their behalf, or assuming that everyone loves the iPhone - it's just a statement of fact. Everyone I know with an iPhone, loves their iPhone, and spends more time using it, and playing with it, then I've ever seen them use another phone.

The iPhone didn't have copy and paste when it launched... well, that point was put to bed a year ago when Apple updated *all* iPhones to have copy and paste, and dozen other new features beside. Should it have been there from the start? Well ideally of course it should, but software development doesn't always work that way. Just ask Microsoft - they're about to launch Windows Phone Series 7 without the exact same feature, in 2010, after supporting it in all previous forms of Windows Mobile. Go figure.

Could the screen be better, could the design have changed more, could they have done x, y, z to be more like the HD2 or [insert competitor here] - yes of course. But it's a fact that the iPhone has never competed on pure hardware specs, it's competed by being a unique package of interface and design combined with a wealth of third party apps and extendability. As an iPhone user I'd say the Appstore was probably one of the phone's most defining features, and you have to wonder if the Appstore would have grown and been supported as strongly over the last couple of years if Apple had been changing the screen resolution and doubling the processor speed every six months. There's a lot to be said for having a consistent platform, especially when you're conjuring up that application platform for developers out of thin air.

Is it all down to the advertising... no. Not a bit of it. I was using touchscreen smartphones for years before the iPhone, and none of them could hold a candle to the 3G I have now. Apple simply created something better, and everyone else is still playing catchup from where I'm sitting.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2010-04-01 17:35 ]
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-01 21:39
Ok fair enough we all have our own views, and thats fair enough.

On 2010-04-01 18:25:24, Boinng wrote:
Just ask Microsoft - they're about to launch Windows Phone Series 7 without the exact same feature, in 2010, after supporting it in all previous forms of Windows Mobile.

However, WM7 does have copy and paste after all
fairen
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-02 01:34
Just an icebreaker.. iPhone tops the recent survey made by J.D. Powers and Associates for its overall customer satisfaction leaving all its competitors behind. Among the brands surveyed are Apple, HTC, Nokia, Palm, BlackBerry and Samsung. iPhone received top marks in every category except for battery life. Blackberry takes the 2nd place and Samsung as the third placer. Nice to know

http://news.timtechs.com/ipho[....]tomer-satisfaction-survey.html
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-07 18:27
the sky news app was updated today and now provides live Sky News TV (unfortunately within the new tab for the election )

I used to watch the Sky News on the Sky Mobile TV app but you have to pay £6/month for that so I cancelled after the initial 3 month trial.

for more TV, don't forget the iphone.tvcatchup.com page you can surf to on the iphone browser
SUPERezel
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 09:43
Question,

I have a 3GS from England (no idea wich provider/ can't check firmware)

Is is possible for me to unlock it and use it in the Netherlands?

Cheers Maarten
i love my first sony
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 09:50
it doesn't matter where your iphone comes from as any jailbreak/unlock solution works worldwide

BUT... if you have updated to the latest 3.1.3 firmware (check in Settings > General > About) then there is no currently available public solution to jailbreak and unlock though there are a couple of solutions that have been demonstrated and which maybe available soon.

If you're on a firmware earlier than 3.1.3 then google blackra1n as that will do it for you very easily
SUPERezel
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 10:07
Thanks for the info, but how can i check firmware if phone only accepts activation by itunes? I can't reach the settings option
i love my first sony
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 10:19
ah! I see...

the only way I know is to install the iPhone SDK on a mac. Xcode can read the firmware and UDID details from an un-activated iphone

in any case, I'm sure that blackra1n only works on an already-activated iphone. Are you not able to activate it at all?
SUPERezel
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 10:25
Ah, thats a shame...
I only have the phone (no UK operator sim)
i love my first sony
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 10:35
I've been doing a bit of googling. looks like there are methods for activating (hacktivation?) which would then enable to you to unlock.

I'll let someone else assist there as I've only worked with already activated phones
SUPERezel
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 11:52
thnx masseur!

Will also try some googling!
i love my first sony
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-10 19:28
good luck with that

in the meantime... I've now seen a few apps terminating unexpectedly and the Thomson Reuters app always exits unexpectedly when I click on any story. Its the only app that I have that is currently not working at all. All others work fine with just the occasional crash

Also, iTunes cannot organise the apps in the normal way and it also cannot backup the OS4 phone due to this error:-

also, I've found that playing a video podcast now has the option to show the text that describes the podcast
Domecot
Apple Iphone 5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-11 13:08
A friend who owns a 3GS asked me if Apple will demand money for the OS 4 update? Since i am not a big iPhone follower i didn't know so i am turning to you experts so what do you think?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-11 13:20
iPhone updates are always free. you only have to pay a small fee for ipod touch updates
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 606162 636465  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic