Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 272829 ... 127128129  Next
Author Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 15:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-06-16 14:46:47, Boinng wrote:

You know what, I can see absolutely see how gesture gaming could be a bit of fun if it gets decent developer support in the form of games makers making the most of that feature, in the same way that many have run away with the iPhone's possibilities. Am I at all confident that will happen? No. Be honest, are you?

Why not? gameloft and EA are already publishing games for SE. Capuchin developers are starting to sign up slowly, but steadily. Who is to say that they wouldn't pick up these new APIs?

And what does any of that have to do with making the Satio a better gaming platform than the iPhone?

Because there's no telling what kind of game can become a huge success. Sometimes even rudimentary graphics and a single touch screen can result in immensely enjoyable gameplay. I'm sure you missed the edit, but the largest selling handheld game console in the world, the DS sports these exact features.

I'll take the Appstore, glass screen, and multitouch over that.

the appstore is coming. Glass screen we do not get, but we do get more pixels. No multitouch, but we do get DS style stylus gaming.
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 17:30
Good point about the ds style gaming.

Also, Dont forget that Nokia also has symbian touch screen phones. And the apps made for those will work on Satio as well. So I really dont know whats the point in arguing about games and application. Iphone is 3 yrs old, while symbian touch is relatively very new. It will definitely take some time but it will eventually out grow the appstore.
Also its possible via an application to get multi touch in a normal touch screen phone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XndW7YlvYjU
[ This Message was edited by: djin on 2009-06-16 16:42 ]
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 19:06
The DS is a dedicated gaming handheld with dedicated gaming hardware, complete with buttons in all the right places - and it's part of the rich Nintendo heritage with an appropriate back catalogue of games. It bears no comparison to either the Satio or the iPhone in truth, but I've got a feeling that if you were to ask a Nintendo exec in confidence which mobile manufacturer made them nervous, I doubt they'd mention SE or Nokia for that matter.

Of course the Appstore is a major, major part of all this and both Nokia and SE will have an appstore each soon enough; but it doesn't inevitably follow that they'll then be overtaking Apple in any amount of time. The Apple appstore is a success for a number of reasons, and they're as much about the developer environment and the SDK as anything else. Symbian doesn't have the same attractions to developers, underneath the "new" skin it's an old and clunky OS, supported by many but disparate devices, and it remains to be seen whether Symbian can compete with either iPhone OS or Android in gaining (or regaining) mindshare.

Yes it's possible to have multitouch in a resistive screen, but it's not supported by S60 or the Satio, so not really relevant here. If app developers were to design for something like that, it would need to be built into the device from the beginning, as it was with the iPhone.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 18:37 ]
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 20:32
boinng,
Did you even see the video I posted? Its nokia 5800, symbian s60.
I really dont know why would developers not develop for the most dominant os, because its old? Its like saying developers dont find attractive to develop for windows because its old and clunky and they will go for linux and apple os.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 00:43

On 2009-06-16 20:32:54, djin wrote:
boinng,
I really dont know why would developers not develop for the most dominant os, because its old? Its like saying developers dont find attractive to develop for windows because its old and clunky and they will go for linux and apple os.

Because developers want to make money at the end of the day and on the Iphone they can make a fortune because of the way the device is marketed, the type of people who buy it, the way the app store is sold as the must have feature along with free data plans to entice people to use the app store. That's why developers may not make games for the most dominant OS, because it doesn't guarantee sales. The iPhone does.
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 02:17
I guess nobody read my previous post...
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 09:38

On 2009-06-16 20:32:54, djin wrote:
boinng,

But let me guess - it's an unofficial hack/tweak/proof of concept. In other words it's not supported by S60 officially and mainstream developers won't use it.

EDIT: Here's an admittedly interesting article on how that very limited form of "multitouch" is emulated by some app developers in S60 v5 - http://www.allaboutsymbian.co[....]Nokia_5800_already_support.php - it requires very careful control design and use of a pretty ugly kludge. Not exactly ideal, and no match for the true multitouch built into other devices at OS level.

It's pointless to compare the operating systems on PCs with smartphone OSs. A PC is largely useless without software, while for many years a huge chunk of all the S60 users you're alluding to have been quite happy not to use any third party apps - they simply use their phone as a phone, complete with nice camera or whatever other features Nokia builds them with. For all the sheer numbers of S60 phones sold, the platform has *never* had anything like the same success in actually building interest in, and selling smartphone applications to end users as the iPhone has, and there are no immediate signs of that changing. So for developers, S60/Symbian is *not* a dominant platform - in fact it's one of those that many iPhone developers have actually left behind already.

Apple's SDK makes the iPhone and iPod Touch easy and straightforward to develop for, and the appstore makes it stupidly easy and cheap to market and sell your title to up to 40 million potential customers. Countless developers have testified to the riches to be made virtually overnight, armed only with a few good ideas and a 59p price point. It's a gold rush in mobile app development, and something that's simply never happened in almost ten years of Symbian, despite all those S60 phones flogged by Nokia over the years.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-17 09:21 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:13

On 2009-06-17 02:17:08, gtr83 wrote:
I guess nobody read my previous post...

I read it, and I respect what you're saying, but well - this is a forum, I'm a big believer in forums and they're not just for news, they're for debate and discussion too, and that's what this is. I call people out on some of the things they say, other people call me out on some of the "facts" I come out with, sometimes it does all go a bit far but I like to think it all adds up in the end, know what I mean? There are a lot of smart people posting here, and the likes of SE, Nokia, Apple and the rest could all do worse than follow some of these arguments..
norbi_nw
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 11:54
Like i said, price is already established at around 550-600euros. Not the end of the world, but still..
http://norbinw.blogspot.com
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 12:56

---

Ares: This is entirely my PoV, I admit, but I've always felt games on a phone as a compromise, no matter how good the graphics are. i played the Terminator game on the iPhone this morning and while the graphics are really good, I didn't find the game play enjoyable at all. When you compared the Satio and the iPhone WRT gaming, the first thing that came to my mind was accelerometer based racing games (which is the only genre that I feel is enjoyable on a phone. Again, IMO) and nothing stops Satio from being better than the iPhone in this regard. For that matter, depending upon the Symbian port, next gen games may be run better on that platform compared to the iPhone. Or worse. We'll have to wait and see.

You also forget that the Satio has physical buttons (Like the call/ end keys, the Camera key) which may well be mapped to do game functions and can counter multitouch to an extent.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 11:30 ]

Fair enough. Thing is, Iphone is already a gaming platform, with small an big players interested in developing for it, releasing great games week after week. Will we see that on symbian ever - looking how ngage bombed 2 times, and how Nokia removed 3D hardware acceleration from its devices since the n95, things do not look good (SE is not enough by itself)
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 13:44
Satio available in september.SE at the Singapore meet today.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 16:52

On 2009-06-17 12:56:25, ares wrote:

Fair enough. Thing is, Iphone is already a gaming platform, with small an big players interested in developing for it, releasing great games week after week. Will we see that on symbian ever - looking how ngage bombed 2 times, and how Nokia removed 3D hardware acceleration from its devices since the n95, things do not look good (SE is not enough by itself)

Yes, that is true. But they key to that would be the next gen hardware (Tegra/ OMAP3/ Snapdragon). With these platforms becoming commonplace and with a GPU in everything (Not to forget appstores for Nokia, LG and SE and maybe Samsung too in the future), developers may finally have the motivation to develop cutting edge games and port it across all leading platforms.

SE_Dude: Satio in september would be simply awesome. That means the price would drop a bit by the Q1 next year, which incidentally is when I need to get my contract renewed.
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-06-19 14:06

On 2009-06-08 18:02:36, NightBlade wrote:

On 2009-06-08 17:56:25, Nitro Fan wrote:

On 2009-05-28 21:39:11, sealover94 wrote:
1. IDOU name is MUCH BETTER than than this stupid "SATIO" name...
2. No stand-by times and battery.... (if it is 1000mAh the phone will be a total failure)
3. No OLED screen.... i think SE lives 2 years ago from present.... such a same
4. No internal memory and ONLY 8gb in stick....when Nokia and other companies NOW....AT THIS MOMENT offer 32gb of internal...
5. No EXMOR sensor to save even the camera (12mp without exmor means 4mp of more noise than 8mp)
6. No 3.5 jack for such a big phone....
7. End of 2009 ???? YEAH only if it costs up to 300 euros will have a chance...cause till then IDOU will be a mid-range phone...

IT IS AN OVERPRICED FAILURE (another one) for SE....!!
[ This Message was edited by: sealover94 on 2009-05-28 20:40 ]

In addition to this, it will be way out of date by the time finally get it out!

You forgot the lack of a waffle maker.

But seriously, you guys know nothing but whining. Sony Ericsson is finally on track to release a true high-end with a large touchscreen, smartphone OS, fantastic camera and amazing UI, and you still aren't satisfied. Gosh.

@NightBlade
You are of course incorrect!
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2009-06-19 14:23
About what?
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-06-19 17:10
I think SE is on track regarding hardware specs, camera, etc...too bad for crap s60.
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 272829 ... 127128129  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic