Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio

Previous  123 ... 262728 ... 127128129  Next
Author Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-06-16 13:42:38, Boinng wrote:

On 2009-06-16 13:40:14, synn wrote:
A picture (Youtube video in this case) is worth a thousand words.

I'm sure a picture of someone squinting at their tiny mobile while jumping around and playing a forehand would be absolutely priceless...

Another gem from the man that is capable of reaching conclusions about things he hasn't seen/ experienced before. Kudos.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 12:43 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:43

the camera? Have you even SEEN the Satio?

No, the gesture gaming. The gesture gaming that isn't mentioned in any of the Satio literature or reviews. Does it have that?

On 2009-06-16 13:43:37, synn wrote:
Another gem from the man that is capable of reaching conclusions about things he hasn't seen/ experienced before. Kudos.

Cheers. It is handy to have an imagination.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 12:46 ]
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:45

On 2009-06-16 13:43:49, Boinng wrote:

No, the gesture gaming. The gesture gaming that isn't mentioned in any of the Satio literature or reviews. Does it have that?

I posted once before, I'll post it again. Gesture games are java based and uses the front camera. The satio supports both. There's nothing stopping SE from implementing it in Satio.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:50

On 2009-06-16 13:45:14, synn wrote:
I posted once before, I'll post it again. Gesture games are java based and uses the front camera. The satio supports both. There's nothing stopping SE from implementing it in Satio.

And as I asked before, are you saying that any and every phone with java and a front camera supports gesture gaming?

Also, how will these java games scale up on the Satio, do you think? Will they make best use of that great gaming architecture, would you say? Work well with the touchscreen? How about those great gaming controls (ie the volume buttons and the call and end keys) - will java games designed for the Yari work well with those? Just asking.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:54
The gesture games dont need any physical buttons to work with. They judge the position of the person and work accordingly. The Satio has gesture control in its specs, and i am assuming it supports gesture gaming. And no. Its a special technology patented by SE from japan which is being implemented in these gesture phones.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:55

On 2009-06-16 13:50:26, Boinng wrote:

And as I asked before, are you saying that any and every phone with java and a front camera supports gesture gaming?

Also, how will these java games scale up on the Satio, do you think? Will they make best use of that great gaming architecture, would you say? Work well with the touchscreen? How about those great gaming controls (ie the volume buttons and the call and end keys) - will java games designed for the Yari work well with those? Just asking.

1) The Yari is a plain-jane A200 device that has gesture gaming. So yeah, subject to licensing, it is theoretically possible to run these games on any phones that support Java and has a front camera. And Why the hell would one consider the touchscreen and physical keys for a game that uses the FRONT CAMERA TO SENSE MOTION?

I like how you pose hypothetical situation after situation. Say, did you know Apple would have an appstore when the original iPhone was released? Did you know there would be games developed for it? have you seen the SE appstore 6 months into the future and the variety of titles they have on offer there?
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 12:57 ]
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:56

On 2009-06-16 13:43:49, Boinng wrote:

...if SE were to do that, then Yari's most valuable advantage against the Satio will be down the drain. So I think that's what's stopping them... Ofcourse, the price would still be differentiating factor. IMO
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:58
If you look at the rundown of these phones right here on Esato, both Satio and Yari sport something called "gesture control". That could describe anything with an accelerometer inside, including the iPhone and many other devices, since they can all be controlled through gestures in that sense.

Only the Yari also boasts "Gesture and motion gaming for action on and off the screen", in addition to gesture control, as a separate feature.

I didn't need my crystal ball to find this out by the way, it's right here on the front page.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 13:00 ]
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 13:59

On 2009-06-16 13:56:20, gola wrote:

...if SE were to do that, then Yari's most valuable advantage against the Satio will be down the drain. So I think that's what's stopping them... Ofcourse, the price would still be differentiating factor. IMO

Yes, the price is the deciding factor here. Even if they both support gesture games, there's no chance either phone would cannibalize the other's sales.

On 2009-06-16 13:58:47, Boinng wrote:
If you look at the rundown of these phones right here on Esato, both Satio and Yari sport something called "gesture control". That could describe anything with an accelerometer inside, including the iPhone and many other devices, since they can all be controlled through gestures in that sense.

No, it means controlling the phone via motion sensing thorough the front camera, which was first seen in the W380. The gaming part of it is strictly on the programming side and the hardware is perfectly capable of running it.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 13:04 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 14:04

On 2009-06-16 13:55:55, synn wrote:
I like how you pose hypothetical situation after situation.

I like how you get riled so easily, and try to detract attention away from the subject when you're struggling with the answers. Did you not want to talk about the greatness of generic Java games on a Symbian phone, as rivals to native iPhone apps?
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 14:10

On 2009-06-16 14:04:11, Boinng wrote:

On 2009-06-16 13:55:55, synn wrote:
I like how you pose hypothetical situation after situation.

I like how you get riled so easily, and try to detract attention away from the subject when you're struggling with the answers. Did you not want to talk about the greatness of generic Java games on a Symbian phone, as rivals to native iPhone apps?

lol WUT?

Trying to detract from what exactly? A discussion about an upcoming phone that was hijacked to suit your everlasting devotion to the fruit?

I gave you all the answers you need in the previous posts. A symbian phone and Satio in particular, can do a lot of things that your iPhone is yet to understand how to do. If a game limits me to a single touch, accelerometer and a few hardware buttons and forces me to play it while watching the action on a high res screen and making me run other tasks simultaneously in the background, I'll totally consider it a disadvantage. Yep, totally.

It's quite clear. All you have at hand are speculations and you'll discount any counter-speculations in your attempt to prove the fruitphone as god's gift to mankind. Well if it was, it'd have outsold every Nokia model, the PSP, the DS and the Sports Illustrated summer special combined. It doesn't.

Think about it.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 13:13 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 14:17
So just to recap - you'll be playing games using three buttons all up one side of the screen, reaching around the back and sides for the volume and camera keys occasionally, while controlling only one touchscreen element at any one time. Oh, and despite the great processor, screen resolution and Symbian OS, you'll be using non-optimised Java apps to play any gesture gaming (with all those great mobile gesture gaming concepts such as tennis, using an invisible racket and a pair of binoculars to see the screen).

To be honest I'm excited for you, I really am

Think about it.

Sorry, which part is speculation, the bit about the gesture gaming being Java based, which you invented? Perhaps it's that the Satio only has a resistive screen - no, no we know that's true. So I guess it's the poor positioning of the Satio's buttons for gaming, they'll be changed before the phone's release, right? Like the Aino's UI?
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 13:25 ]
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 14:24

On 2009-06-16 14:17:26, Boinng wrote:
So just to recap - you'll be playing games using three buttons all up one side of the screen, reaching around the back and sides for the volume and camera keys occasionally, while controlling only one touchscreen element at any one time. Oh, and despite the great processor, screen resolution and Symbian OS, you'll be using non-optimised Java apps to play any gesture gaming (with all those great mobile gesture gaming concepts such as tennis, using an invisible racket and a pair of binoculars to see the screen). To be honest I'm excited for you, I really am.

lol look who's trying to distract from the shortcomings of the jesusphone.

You seem to be oblivious to the concept of CHOICE. Not surprising. you ARE an Apple user, afterall.

A Satio user can CHOOSE to play a gesture based game, should it be available. he can CHOOSE to play NGage style games, should the SE appstore provide them or if Nokia licenses it to other manufacturers. He can CHOOSE to play accelerometer based games for racing. He can CHOOSE to play ANYTHING that's available without being at the mercy of a company that decides what should and what shouldn't go into your phone. And he can CHOOSE to play all this while running other apps simultaneously.

BTW, largest selling handheld console in the world? The Nintendo DS, with *gasp* a single touch screen and crappy graphics! ZOMG!
If you know ANYTHING about games, you'd have known that games move consoles and not vice versa. But you don't.

Something's clouding your judgment. Maybe it's all that excitement from just discovering copy/ paste. It's ok, I understand.

Sorry, which part is speculation,

the part where you assume that things like gesture gaming are gonna suck without ever trying it. Or the part where you pass a verdict on the capabilities of the Satio before it's even out. I never denied I'm making educated guesses. You on the other hand, pass off opinions as facts. I know it helps your "Imagination" and all, but you need to lay off sniffing glue. It really ain't all that great.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 13:43 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 14:46

On 2009-06-16 14:24:19, synn wrote:
lol look who's trying to distract from the shortcomings of the jesusphone.

Look who's still calling it the jesusphone in the middle of 2009. Even the Register are tiring of that now. I noticed they've actually started running iPhone App reviews now.

You seem to be oblivious to the concept of CHOICE. Not surprising. you ARE an Apple user, afterall.

I'm a user of one Apple product, my first and only, and that's it. You make the same mistake of other SE fanboys in assuming that ownership of an iPhone makes me an Apple fanboy; it doesn't. I just know a good thing when I'm using it.

A Satio user can CHOOSE to play a gesture based game, should it be available. he can CHOOSE to play NGage style games, should the SE appstore provide them or if Nokia licenses it to other manufacturers. He can CHOOSE to play accelerometer based games for racing. He can CHOOSE to play ANYTHING that's available without being at the mercy of a company that decides what should and what shouldn't go into your phone. And he can CHOOSE to play all this while running other apps simultaneously.

And what does any of that have to do with making the Satio a better gaming platform than the iPhone? Buried in that diatribe is one potential advantage, the gesture gaming, lost in a sea of bitterness and hyperbole. I'll take the Appstore, glass screen, and multitouch over that.

Something's clouding your judgment. Maybe it's all that excitement from just discovering copy/ paste. It's ok, I understand.

Copy and what? OS 3 doesn't hit officially until tomorrow unfortunately. God knows how much I'll love the iPhone when that happens.

the part where you assume that things like gesture gaming are gonna suck without ever trying it.

You know what, I can see absolutely see how gesture gaming could be a bit of fun if it gets decent developer support in the form of games makers making the most of that feature, in the same way that many have run away with the iPhone's possibilities. Am I at all confident that will happen? No. Be honest, are you?

I'll happilly continue to poke fun at the idea that gesture gaming in the context of the Satio or Yari bears any resemblance to gesture gaming on the Wii, as proudly boasted by another poster here. I'm sure it sounded like an iPhone killing feature when he posted it, but it's nonsense as we both know.

Or the part where you pass a verdict on the capabilities of the Satio before it's even out.

I never did that. I've spoken about the resistive single-touch screen, and the placement of the buttons, and I've pointed out why your idea of running the Yari's java-based games on the Satio would make a nonsense of most of the Satio's better features. I've also pointed out that nowhere in the Satio write-ups is gesture gaming mentioned, but that sir is simply a fact. It's your own supposition on the subject that's purely speculative.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-16 13:47 ]
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 14:55
No offense here but this debate between synn and Boinng has gone too far. Boinng, we don't have to argue ourselves out every time someone tells us his differing opinion even if it's offensive. Sorry for sounding like I run this site but I was expecting more news about Satio and instead I see pages of your "discussion" with synn. Accept it mate, there are people who will never agree with us on some points no matter how intelligent they (or you for that matter) are. I never directly offended you about your taste in phones although I almost always disagree with your opinions on iPhone, no matter how true they may be. It's just interesting to see things from another perspective which is why I kinda enjoyed reading your first debates with synn, Bhavv and the likes but this time it has gone a little over the cliff. Intelligence doesn't require us to show it off. I know this post will offend you but hey, it's just my two cents. And I also use a fruitphone despite not being of the same Genus as yours! =)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 262728 ... 127128129  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic