Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio

Previous  123 ... 242526 ... 127128129  Next
Author Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
kreacher
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 06:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If the CPU is the same I hope Satio has the same PowerVR GPU as well. But other than that game developers will need a huge installed base to get interested in putting resources behind Satio gaming. Somehow I doubt that will happen at iPhone scale.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 10:25
IF? What do you mean IF?? It IS, it DOES, it HAS got the same CPU. It has been CONFIRMED the Satio has a 3430, that IS what the new iPhone has.
Good God people in this forum don't believe anything. No wonder SE gets a kicking on here, everyone just ignores the real facts

Here is a link to help you, it explains the 3430 specs which are the same as in the link I provided on the iPhone:

http://focus.ti.com/general/d[....]gationId=12643&templateId=6123

SO by rule of thumb the Palm Pre and the Satio are also more powerful then the PSP, which is a really bas statement to make anyway as the PSP is over 4 years old now spec wise!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 15:48
You know why gaming on Satio, even with the same processor, will never be has good has on the iphone 3GS? Lack of multitouch and capacitive screen - this is what alows the iphone to be viable as gaming machine without having buttons. Simple has that.

SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
tangey
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 16:32

On 2009-06-12 10:25:54, apolloa wrote:
IF? What do you mean IF?? It IS, it DOES, it HAS got the same CPU. It has been CONFIRMED the Satio has a 3430, that IS what the new iPhone has.
Good God people in this forum don't believe anything. No wonder SE gets a kicking on here, everyone just ignores the real facts

The Application processor in the iphone and the one used in the Satio'n'Pre are totally different. The Satio and Pre use the TI chip which includes PowerVR SGX 530.

THe application processor in the iphone is supplied by Samsung. It does use the same processor platform as the TI one (ARM Cortex A8), and the Samsung one also incorporates a PowerVR SGX core. At this time it is unclear whether the samsung chip is using SGX520 or SGX530.
aydahm
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 16:38
wow the reviews are actually looking good... now only if can do something about the price and release date issue...
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 18:33

On 2009-06-12 15:48:05, ares wrote:
You know why gaming on Satio, even with the same processor, will never be has good has on the iphone 3GS? Lack of multitouch and capacitive screen - this is what alows the iphone to be viable as gaming machine without having buttons. Simple has that.

No touchscreen ever replaces physical buttons for a serious gamer.
It's as simple as THAT.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 23:44

On 2009-06-12 16:32:40, tangey wrote:

On 2009-06-12 10:25:54, apolloa wrote:

The Application processor in the iphone and the one used in the Satio'n'Pre are totally different. The Satio and Pre use the TI chip which includes PowerVR SGX 530.

THe application processor in the iphone is supplied by Samsung. It does use the same processor platform as the TI one (ARM Cortex A8), and the Samsung one also incorporates a PowerVR SGX core. At this time it is unclear whether the samsung chip is using SGX520 or SGX530.

Aha, I stand corrected, even though they are not totally different considering they both use the same CPU and potentially graphics.
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2009-06-13 07:23
The problem with some forumers here, they always carry a chip on their shoulders.

Will Satio have the PS3 remote feature?
locoworks
P990
PM
Posted: 2009-06-14 22:59

On 2009-06-13 07:23:44, rss_ndrsn wrote:
The problem with some forumers here, they always carry a chip on their shoulders.

LOL, and a teasmaid too please.....
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-06-15 02:21
The amount of resolved details from the camera is really impressive, each time i see the samples from phonearena i remember my good 'ol W800's performance. but just like the W800 i can see mild blur spots (but that's just fine for me). as for red-to-pink check out phonearena's samples of the car's tail lights, the reds are red, and the colours are very natural
10 years at Esato
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-06-15 04:50
Quote:

On 2009-06-13 07:23:44, rss_ndrsn wrote:

Yes. I agree. Se_dude springs to mind..what a complete idiot..its people like him that ruin forums with his stupid fanboy crap.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-06-15 13:43

On 2009-06-12 18:33:41, synn wrote:

On 2009-06-12 15:48:05, ares wrote:

It's as simple as THAT.

I think your knowledge about what games are out for the iphone, what people think about them, how well they sell, is very close to ZERO.

I did not say it completely replaces a dedicated gaming machine, but for many people it does. I had a PSP, a DS, then a PSP lite, then a DS lite. The last one i sold was the DS, because i stopped using it once i got the iphone. And this happens all the time to people.

Regarding multitouch vs buttons. Yes, buttons are better, but multitouch alows playing football games, or fps games, with good controls, on a touch screen device. I´m doing that on the iphone (x2 footbal, AMAZING). My point is on a touch screen device without multitouch, this is impossible. Games will be always handicapped.
[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2009-06-15 12:45 ]
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-15 14:01

On 2009-06-12 18:33:41, synn wrote:
It's as simple as THAT.

It's posts like this that show you up, unfortunately. Nobody has suggested that people are swapping their Xbox 360's for an iPhone, but your inability to accept the fact that the iPhone/Touch is maturing into a popular gaming platform without this needless sniping simply illustrates your own irrational hatred of a successful device, and a refusal to accept the obvious in favour of your own bias. It makes it very hard to take you seriously when you pronounce on any other subjects.

Gaming on the iPhone and iPod Touch is already a very popular pastime and a booming industry, and the 3G S with its improved architecture will simply build on that - it's actually as simple as that. Ares is right to point out that's got a lot to do with the capacative screen which allows multitouch, and makes the iPhone far better suited to button-less games than other touchscreen phones like the Satio. To not understand that, is to simply not know the first thing about the iPhone.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-15 13:09 ]
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 12:28

On 2009-06-15 14:01:11, Boinng wrote:

It's posts like this that show you up, unfortunately. yadda... yadda... yadda.

Way to put words in my mouth. Now run along.

---

Ares: This is entirely my PoV, I admit, but I've always felt games on a phone as a compromise, no matter how good the graphics are. i played the Terminator game on the iPhone this morning and while the graphics are really good, I didn't find the game play enjoyable at all. When you compared the Satio and the iPhone WRT gaming, the first thing that came to my mind was accelerometer based racing games (which is the only genre that I feel is enjoyable on a phone. Again, IMO) and nothing stops Satio from being better than the iPhone in this regard. For that matter, depending upon the Symbian port, next gen games may be run better on that platform compared to the iPhone. Or worse. We'll have to wait and see.

You also forget that the Satio has physical buttons (Like the call/ end keys, the Camera key) which may well be mapped to do game functions and can counter multitouch to an extent.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-06-16 11:30 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 12:59

On 2009-06-16 12:28:38, synn wrote:
When you compared the Satio and the iPhone WRT gaming, the first thing that came to my mind was accelerometer based racing games (which is the only genre that I feel is enjoyable on a phone. Again, IMO) and nothing stops Satio from being better than the iPhone in this regard.

The screen stops the Satio from being better than the iPhone. Just think about it. With the iPhone, your thumbs at the corner of the screen can control everything at once - change gear with one thumb while you brake with the other, then accelerate while you swipe a finger across the screen to change your POV - none of that is possible with a resistive, non-multitouch screen. Even taking the few buttons of the Satio into account, they can only be mapped to a handful of fixed functions within a game, and most won't be ergonomically positioned for gaming, whereas the iPhone can have any combination of controls on screen and they're right in front of you.

It's entirely your own problem that you can only imagine racing games on a device like this, as you've admitted yourself. In reality there are literally thousands of games for the iPhone and iPod Touch spanning virtually every genre, and a huge proportion of them would be difficult if not impossible to play without a multitouch interface, or perhaps dedicated gaming controls which the Satio doesn't have either.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 242526 ... 127128129  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic