Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio

Previous  123 4 ... 127128129  Next
Author Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 00:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
that interview really makes me think if they are aware of their current situation
i really hope that this is just marketing bla bla, but if not i'm really worried
their new strategy is very good, but the handsets somehow don't fit very well
somehow the whole industry seems to be in an iphone shock, everyone wants to copy it -
actually this would be a good idea, but the copying stops with the touch-screen stuff.

in the past years the mobile industry more or less ran itself into a wall. it was predictable
that something must happen or things stagnate heavily. only megapixels grew, screens got more
colorful, MBytes got to GBytes.
But that was it.
then apple did the iphone and everyone thought (and still thinks) that capacitive touchscreens are the messia.
but god damn it - its the software! todays software is still more or less the same since 2003(or earlier).

apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 00:41
I want this!!! A consumer orientated smart phone from SE.

It states it has 'turn by turn' sat nav as standard? Anyone know what it uses for this? Will it be Wayfinder again?
[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2009-05-28 23:50 ]
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 00:43
I thought this was meant to be the first SF offering. So if its S60 5th edition does that mean all those transiitons we saw previoulsy have been scrapped and the OS is watered down to what we already see in the 5800, i8910 ect...?
aikelo
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 00:45
SE-swedish site
sealover94
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 00:55
pure IDOU....
pure SE....

http://vimeo.com/4889455
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:03
I can confirm that they said it will be S60 5th Edition, suggesting the first 'proper' Symbian Foundation OS won't be ready in time and isn't therefore going to be on this model.

I used the device quite a bit tonight and have to say that I am most disappointed. I saw the quirky UI on the Idou in Barcelona (basically, the Nokia 5800) and assumed it was just an early beta, but now that's all this is going to be. A large display wasted by an OS that has been patched up from a non-touchscreen UI, and a slow processor that means it's very laggy.

By comparison, the other two devices announced last night seem much more interesting.

Oh, SE, how could you make such a mistake after all the problems with UIQ!!
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:15

On 2009-05-29 00:55:12, sealover94 wrote:
pure IDOU....
pure SE....

http://vimeo.com/4889455

its a zune hd video
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:18
it has tv-out!

http://www.sonyericsson.com/c[....]eaccessories/satio?lc=sv&cc=se

there a tv-out cable listed in "accessories that fit". wat do u think?
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:24

On 2009-05-29 01:03:32, jmcomms wrote:
I can confirm that they said it will be S60 5th Edition, suggesting the first 'proper' Symbian Foundation OS won't be ready in time and isn't therefore going to be on this model.

I used the device quite a bit tonight and have to say that I am most disappointed. I saw the quirky UI on the Idou in Barcelona (basically, the Nokia 5800) and assumed it was just an early beta, but now that's all this is going to be. A large display wasted by an OS that has been patched up from a non-touchscreen UI, and a slow processor that means it's very laggy.

By comparison, the other two devices announced last night seem much more interesting.

Soooo, your going to blame the CPU? So that's the same CPU as in the Palm Pre, the Omap platform that is BRAND NEW, the Omap system that is state of the art, the same one as in the Samsung Omnia HD and is faster then the one in the 5800 and N97.
And as the phone has 5 more months yet so i will reserve judgement on people saying it's slow until I read a review of a non prototype.
It is a shame it's not the Symbian Foundation OS though.
[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2009-05-29 00:26 ]
sealover94
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:30

On 2009-05-29 01:24:30, apolloa wrote:

On 2009-05-29 01:03:32, jmcomms wrote:

ban him too !!!

Soooo, your going to blame the CPU? So that's the same CPU as in the Palm Pre, the Omap platform that is BRAND NEW, the Omap system that is state of the art, the same one as in the Samsung Omnia HD and is faster then the one in the 5800 and N97.
And as the phone has 5 more months yet so i will reserve judgement on people saying it's slow until I read a review of a non prototype.
It is a shame it's not the Symbian Foundation OS though.
[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2009-05-29 00:26 ]

ban him too !!!

Let's w8 for the iphone in two weeks....you 'll find more people there
[ This Message was edited by: sealover94 on 2009-05-29 00:31 ]
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:31
ooooh...

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-ericsson-satio-hands-on-2845259/
sealover94
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:34

On 2009-05-29 01:31:19, Legen wrote:
ooooh...

just like @jmcomms says...

tooo slow..... and boring ui ... in a huge screen...
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:48

On 2009-05-29 01:34:31, sealover94 wrote:

On 2009-05-29 01:31:19, Legen wrote:
ooooh...

just like @jmcomms says...

tooo slow..... and boring ui ... in a huge screen...

c'mon! its awesome. i was honestly worrid sonyericsson wuld screw up such a nice concept with shoddy software - but they ddn't . the u.i looks amazing
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-29 01:51
I've been in the game since 1988 and seen more handset launches than many people - and, having seen the Idou twice now (with or without the name change), I'm not naive enough to believe that the software engineers will manage to speed things up in the next few months (the phone ships in week 40, so they've only got until then!).

Seriously; I've used the 5800 and it's slow and clunky. I've used the N97 and that's going to be a disappointment. Samsung's i8910 HD looked impressive - but only one network in the UK seemed to take any interest, which means the others all rejected it. So, what does that say? That S60 isn't the best basis for a new touchscreen UI (even SE has taken its own proprietary OS and made that touchscreen, so that's quite telling).

Okay, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and wait (what else can I do!) but I am not expecting the Satio to suddenly turn the world upside down and have everyone going wild. Who cares if the processor is being used in other devices? They've obviously got more optimised code - just look at how quick a Mac runs OS X with an Intel processor compared to a PC trying to run Vista.

And here speaks a major SE fan - so I'm not saying this because I'm going to say SE sucks and recommend a Nokia. Nokia is in the exact same boat, using old hardware and an OS that needs a major overhaul. To be honest, I'd be putting my support behind their ordinary user interface than S60 5th Edition for the time being, and the other two devices have a great deal of potential - especially Aino, thanks to the traditional keypad.

The Symbian Foundation OS was meant to be the next big step, but now we're not getting it (even though the press release says otherwise). I can only hope that they are totally mistaken and between now and release day, they'll swap the UI for the new one - but will that really happen??
[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2009-05-29 00:55 ]
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
viper7
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-05-29 02:00
This actually looks really good to me though am disappointed that they've not included the Media Home concept from Aino (application that pulls media content from Media Go™ on your PC over Wi-Fi™ to your phone automatically), the Remote Play functionality (this would have been awesome!) and, most importantly for me, omitted DLNA (or at least have mentioned it - bizare as most Symbian phones are DLNA certified now ).

Did anyone notice this has gesture control?... "Silence the call or alarm simply by moving your hand across the camera lens" ... sounds interesting, though hope there are other applications for it!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 127128129  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic