Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Ericsson prepping Android 2.0 smartphones

Author Sony Ericsson prepping Android 2.0 smartphones
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-05-22 07:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson prepping Android 2.0 smartphones
Daniel Shen, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES
Friday 22 May 2009

Sony Ericsson is preparing to launch Google phones running on Android 2.0 operating system (OS), according to Peter Ang, vice president of marketing, Asia Pacific at Sony Ericsson.

The Android 2.0 will have more multimedia support that the previous Android OS, Ang explained.

With regards to market rumors speculating that Sony Ericsson may reduce the number of operating systems for its handsets, Ang stated that Sony Ericsson currently will continue to roll out models supporting Symbian and Windows Mobile in addition to Android.

Sony Ericsson launched five handsets, the W995, C903, C901, T707 and W508, in the Taiwan market on May 21. The 8.1-megapixel W995 multimedia handset supports 3.5G, Wi-Fi and AGPS standards.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2009-05-22 09:36 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-05-22 10:15
Good news. But the W995 has been launched??
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-05-22 10:35
So it says. :)

This message was posted from a C905
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-05-22 10:35
It should be... It's a pretty good phone. Actually I think that Idou had to be lanuched togedher with the W995... but it seems like it isn't so...
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2009-05-22 11:08
Good news. Lets hope the rest of the world follows soon. Good news. Lets hope the rest of the world follows soon.
korbindallis
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-22 20:09
The 995 is a solid A200 phone so no reason to not launch a phone ready to go,
Idou is in development [addsig]
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-05-23 03:02
Good news. hope it'll bring some new to SE.
Chico212
W760 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-23 03:08
i wonder if they will make a touchscreen A300 platform?
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-05-23 04:21
so sonyericsson is still playing catch up? oh and this time they actually telling us how behind they gonna be
jact
J200
PM
Posted: 2009-05-23 05:55
what cellphone going to has it?
idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-05-23 06:25

On 2009-05-23 03:08:37, Chico212 wrote:
i wonder if they will make a touchscreen A300 platform?

Its android there's nothing to do with A3. Thats feature phone's OS.
Then wil android phone have keyboard or only full touch like idou atleast d-pad.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-24 00:24
Android continues to have this identity crisis - no-one has any idea whey they should want an Android phone!

So far this discussion has centered around W995 because we don't really know what an Android phone is likely to be. I can see why SE are interested in Android, they want to build an iPhone competitor and Androids is free to license unlike WM. But why do we want an Android phone? I have an iPhone and it's really good.

So far it seems to me that most Android fans are haters of big corporates (Microsoft / Apple) or fans of Linux or people who buy anything new and exclusive just to be different. I have no problem with any of these groups of people but are there enough of them to sustain a business case for a new OS? Recent surveys would suggest not.

More likely, SE is just a pawn in Googles attempt to weaken Microsoft's income stream. Apple have true innovation on their side, RIM have a well crafted Enterprise system, what do WM, Android and Symbian Foundation bring to the party?Just copies of the others? It's not working, and some serious brand differentiation and advertising is needed for these three brands.

Otherwise SE will be the casualty of their failure.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-24 00:52
SE needs to be more focused on the products & services their willing to deliver. Having too many unfocused press releases 1 month then shift again the next month is not smart in business that is publicly traded when you with to attract heavy Investors.

Last mth SE stated that Android will be severely delayed. Android 2.0 is in line with it, but why not state that is the reason last month?? Its because SE didn't have a focused direction. This news doesn't put future device owners in their marketshare, nor does it bring investors cash into their coffers for their R&D for development.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
MrMojo1
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-07-24 01:28

On 2009-05-24 00:24:55, carkitter wrote:
Android continues to have this identity crisis - no-one has any idea whey they should want an Android phone!

So far this discussion has centered around W995 because we don't really know what an Android phone is likely to be. I can see why SE are interested in Android, they want to build an iPhone competitor and Androids is free to license unlike WM. But why do we want an Android phone? I have an iPhone and it's really good.

So far it seems to me that most Android fans are haters of big corporates (Microsoft / Apple) or fans of Linux or people who buy anything new and exclusive just to be different. I have no problem with any of these groups of people but are there enough of them to sustain a business case for a new OS? Recent surveys would suggest not.

More likely, SE is just a pawn in Googles attempt to weaken Microsoft's income stream. Apple have true innovation on their side, RIM have a well crafted Enterprise system, what do WM, Android and Symbian Foundation bring to the party?Just copies of the others? It's not working, and some serious brand differentiation and advertising is needed for these three brands.

Otherwise SE will be the casualty of their failure.

Agree that, for most people, thinking what the heck is an Android phone?

The Rachel model, now Xperia X3, is an Android phone! But what the heck does it do? Is it similar to the iPhone?
It looks great in white, based on some pre-release pictures, but still don't see how it's different from a touchphone or smartphone or whatever it's suppose to be!

I'll wait for the reviews on this phone but it looks like SE will fall behind as their competitors are strongly releasing more and better equipped phone models for the General public instead of concentrating on the high-end section that SE declared some time ago for their phones! Who can afford high prices for phones in this current bad economy??

SE is "trying" to consolidate their phone lines as mentioned in past news reports. W995 is probably the last Walkman phone while the C905 is the last Cybershot phone. Maybe now SE will wake and combine the best of both worlds into a decent phone that will give the iPhone some real competition.

Then again, SE has become stale due to their ARROGANCE and let themselves fall behind their competitors by offering ho-hum phones that look alike while charging Premium prices for their phones! It's outrageous!

Until SE wakes up, it might as well separate between Sony and Ericsson and close their respective companies down, especially the SONY portion!
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-10-03 23:21
apple maybe. . in carkitter's words. . 'truly innovative', but, metaphorically speaking, you take one up the arse, price wise to have one. the prices are OUTRAGEOUS. Seriously..at least a android handset will be cheaper, whatever its identity.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi