Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > apple iphone 3g, HTC touch HD, or HTC touch pro 2, SE X1

Author apple iphone 3g, HTC touch HD, or HTC touch pro 2, SE X1
golemsmate
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-23 18:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I will be buying a new phone in the next week or so and i have narrowed it down to a few touch based phones but now i am stuck. I find reviews saying good and bad things about the phone but im not sure which to believe.

If anybody owns the phones below could you answer me the questions about it?

Apple Iphone 3g

1)Does the phone have GPS, if so does it have any lag issues?
2)Is the iphone quite like the itouch, because i already own one, would it be worth buying the iphone too?

HTC touch HD

3)Will it be possible to load the new software (that will be on the touch pro 2 and other new phones) onto the touch HD?
4)How is the GPS i have heard of reports of lag?
5)Is the GPS good at connecting and finding
6)Is the phone responsive and quick?

HTC touch pro 2

7)Does anyone know the release date?
8)Will it be similar to the touch HD
9)The estimated price?

Sony Ericsson X1 Xperia

10)Does it match up the other phones on the list?
11)Is the interface smooth and looks good?
12)How firm is the slide and general Durability

Thanks for reading this im in a proper dilema i just cant decide, looking forward to your replys

EDIT: i have numbered them to make it easier for everyone else wanting to understand
[ This Message was edited by: golemsmate on 2009-03-23 17:34 ]
golemsmate
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-25 22:15
nobody can help me out?
cadcad
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-25 23:59
I purchased all 3: iPhone, HTC HD and Xperia.
HTC HD had problems with the LCD, it died on me (The man who works in the HTC SC told me its a factory defect and many devices are affected so I advise you not to get it) I replaced it by the Xperia. It worked like a charm until I installed arabic on it, it had compatibility issues and it freezed a lot, so I went and got the iPhone. I found it to be the best of all 3.

Now regarding your questions:

Apple iPhone 3G:
1- Yes it has GPS and no it doesn't lag.
2- They re almost identical the iPhone and iPod touch so get rid of the iTouch and get the iPhone instead, if you'll go for the iPhone.

HTC Touch HD:
3- Most probably yes, it'll be imported.
4,5- GPS is good, no lags.
6- Yes the phone is responsive and quick. I could even use the phone for calling with my dead screen.

SonyEricsson X1:
10- It matches up and more, it's amlost the same as the HD, you can even install TouchFLO 3D (HD's interface) on it.
11- The interface is very smooth and it looks perfect (Panels wise).
12- The overall build quality is great.

If you want a business phone go for the X1 and keep the iPod Touch, if you need an music-games oriented phone go for the iPhone.
P.S: the iPhone doesn't have tasks and notes.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-26 01:50
The iPhone does have tasks and notes. There are plenty of ´to-do´ apps on the app store even for free. There are notes (notebook) apps too and the iPhone OS 3.0 to be release in the summer will bring notes sync to the table.
cadcad
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-26 09:34
It has notes as 3rd party programs but it doesnt have tasks and a reminder for it.
Plus they re not as professional as those found in the X1.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-03-26 10:35
iMExchange for the iPhone (available in the Appstore for a few quid) will sync tasks and notes with your Exchange server. It also lets you set your out of office remotely, as a bonus.

What it doesn't do at the moment (in common with all third party to-do apps) is pop up any alert or alarm notification - you have to actually go to the app to see what's due completion etc. However, with OS3.0 (a free update for the iPhone in June) comes "push notifications", which will allow third party developers to pop up these kind of messages, so expect this to change in time.

I went with the iPhone six months ago, and haven't regretted it for a second. It's simply the best on the market. The other phones you mention are all hampered by the same dated and dying OS and very poorly supported in comparison. The only real question would be whether you want to go out now and get the existing iPhone (which will get all the new OS3.0 features in June) or wait until the new hardware is launched, which will probably feature some extra improvements to the camera etc.
golemsmate
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-26 23:38
I kind of want an iphone but i feel its too common but i know i cant wait until the idou in november lol

I'm on a k800 and i want somethin with a better camera and interface.

One plus about the iphone i already have £20 worth of games on it
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2009-03-28 06:09
Touch HD all the way, ive used it for 4 months, it does everything spot on & im a heavy phone user, GPS is quick ive never heard of lag, (some people loaded tomtom 7 & had lag but its not a phone issue i use TT6 & its perfect) google maps works perfect also, personally ive never heard of lcd issues other than the poster above, the screen is amazing.
only one thing im aware of (so are htc) & thats early handsets had paint chipping issues including mine but i think it was the first batch, you will need a few apps to personalise it which is a few hours of fun on the XDA forum (no more than you would have to do on an xperia) & dont even consider using one without a screen protector 2 of which are provided with the handset,... happy choosing.
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2009-03-28 06:37
oh one more thing, i use my HD as my main form of internet access rather than carrying my laptop & i find i (like most people) use copy & paste for various text entry actions most times im online, the iphone hasnt even got the option to copy & paste text, somebody please correct me if im wrong.
Reminder; milk, sugar, crisps, post letter.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi