Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > The P800 - any still out there?

Author The P800 - any still out there?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-03-05 15:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've had a real pang of nostalgia for my old P800 lately. So much so that I just bought a used one, which is on its way to me now.

It occured to me recently that the P800 was probably the last great phone I had from SE. It's the only phone I ever had that I didn't replace as soon as the contract was up, despite mine originally being on an 18 month contract - I kept it for 2.5 years in the end, replacing it with a P910 in 2005. But the P910, although on paper a better phone, really wasn't a big change from the P800 - and I actually ended up preferring the "Fisher Price" styling of the original P series. The P910 was swapped with the M600, which - with its UIQ3 interface - was pretty much the death of UIQ I think.

The P800 has been described as "the original iPhone" and I think there's something in that - more than just the touchscreen connection. Steve Jobs was said to be an admirer of the P800 back in 2003. At the time it was well ahead of the competition in terms of technology and UI, in a similar way to the iPhone now, and with its fun design and that whacky plastic stylus (not a boring, business like pen but a "pick" that clipped off the side) it all felt quite personal, like the iPhone does with its multitouch screen. Like Apple, the P800's designers weren't afraid to leave out features they felt were redundant - no T9 on the flip for example, meaning the only sensible way to text was to learn the clever-but-learning-curve Jot handwriting, in the same way that you'd be expected to get the knack of the iPhone keyboard now.

So I was wondering - are there many P800's still out there? Is this phone just landfill now, or are they still in use? Does anyone agree that in retrospect, when the mobile phone history books get written, the P800 might deserve a special chapter?
mattiL
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-05 19:29
I still have one, in excellent condition.
But not used for a few years though..

P800>P910>P990>X1
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2009-03-05 21:46
Agree with your P800 assessment but i hated the colour, still do. I skipped it and the P900 cause i felt they were one thing only differently coloured. Started with the P910i which i still have and in perfect working condition, thereafter moved on to the P1 after the mess of the P990i.

Anyway, i do believe that the P800 deserves a mention when touchscreen phones are looked at today. It is the grandaddy of them all. I've seen one guy with one last year around September but haven't seen a few around anymore.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-03-05 22:00
The P900 was definitely warmed over leftovers from the P800 party - it brought nothing new except a slightly better screen and a few minor software tweaks, but I remember people here being suddenly dismissive of the P800 and touting the more conservatively styled P900 as a great breakthrough... it was more popular than the P800 definitely, but only because its looks weren't so divisive.

I can quite understand people not liking the P800 design - I wasn't sure about it myself at first - but it was at least original, a one-off. The later P series all donned a grey business suit and tried to look professional like smartphones are "supposed" to look - innoffensive, neutral, and a bit boring really!
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-06 01:19
There's currently 6 P800's for sale on Ebay and also loads of accessories (10 pack P800 styli for £2.99 etc)

I'd just bought the T610 from CPW when I saw the P800 on their shelves. Was too late by then and couldn't change my upgrade. A few months later I went back to my local CPW to buy the P800 outright but they had stopped selling it and had replaced it with the P900. Needless to say I picked up the P900.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
amanno1
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-06 05:15
Still got the p800,900,910,990 and p1i
ANTICIPATION OF DEATH IS WORSE THAN DEATH ITSELF!!
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-03-06 06:49
I still have one but i rarely use it now. Although its old now it still looks very unique and special. And I love the blue white colors actually.
10 years at Esato
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-06 07:53
I wish I had one ;/
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-03-06 10:24

On 2009-03-06 01:19:57, Rookwise wrote:
There's currently 6 P800's for sale on Ebay and also loads of accessories (10 pack P800 styli for £2.99 etc)

My "new" one is on its way from ebay as we speak - boxed with all accessories (although it appears to be missing its charger - luckily I still have one of those old Ericsson era chargers knocking about). Grand total of £6.50 plus postage - I sold my original one for about £80!

I was surprised to see all the accessories and those styli still - I suppose there must still be some being used in anger? It's odd since I didn't think it was that big a seller at the time (hence the more businesslike and profitable P900).

I'd just bought the T610 from CPW when I saw the P800 on their shelves. Was too late by then and couldn't change my upgrade. A few months later I went back to my local CPW to buy the P800 outright but they had stopped selling it and had replaced it with the P900. Needless to say I picked up the P900.

I think I was a generation behind you - I bought the T68i when the P800 was "coming soon", and when it eventually arrived I just kept tellng myself it was too big, I didn't need a smartphone, etc etc - until by the end of my T68i contract T-Mobile started knocking them out free on a reasonable contract in anticipation of the P900 arriving. I switched from Vodafone to get one and spent the next 18 months hating T-Mobile's crappy network but loving the P800... when I could finally dump that contract I started a nice cheap one with Vodafone, gave the free Samsung flip phone it came with to my girlfriend, and kept the P800 for another year. Eventually the P910 tempted me away with its higher-than-128mb memory card limit, but even that was soo similar in every other way to the older phone that it barely felt like an upgrade.

Really, the first significant development in the P series after the P800 was the P990, and we all know how that went!
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-03-06 10:00 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi