Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > My Sony Ericsson w595 refuses to play mp4 files - "Can not play this video" please help! + Review

12  Next
Author My Sony Ericsson w595 refuses to play mp4 files - "Can not play this video" please help! + Review
najkiie
W595 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-17 15:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi.

Yesterday i got my new Sony Ericsson w595i and i love all the new programs and features in it, however there is some things that really blows my mind off. Like the speed, it lags every time i move around on the menu's. Is there any way to speed it up a bit? I've tried changing theme, but that doesn't help at all.

I've had many Sony Ericsson's before, and i am most dissapointed with this one. Before i got it i was expecting a fast, nice and cool Music phone. Unfortunately i was terribly wrong, at least on the speed. It looks good, and i like the cool splatter themes i got with it, but omg, the speeed couldn't get any worse. Is there any way to boost the speed?

I would give this phone a 7/10

Image:

Alright. Now let's talk about my problem...
As i said above, i got my Phone yesterday. And today i thought i could transfer some movies from my computer to it. I know it can't play .avi files.. so i downloaded Magic Video Converter, but it just gave me a bunch of errors when i converted the movies.. So then i googled for a while and i found a program called "Jodix Free iPod Video Converter". It's really great, easy to use, fast and no errors. (It converts avi files to .MP4... Sony Ericsson phones can play that format, right?)So when i had converted the movie, i transferred it to my Memory Stick. I was pretty exited about how good the quality would be and if it would work... The Phone recognized the file format, but when i played the movie it gave me this message:

• "Can not play this movie" (or it was "Can not play this file", i don't remember).

• Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thanks
    -Nike

And by the way, even if you don't know how to help me... just leave a reply.

[ This Message was edited by: najkiie on 2009-02-17 14:38 ]
    mobse
    W850 white
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 18:04
    Hello najkiie,

Welcome to Esato. The laggy interface problem may be eliminated in a new software release for your phone. Install the Sony Ericsson Update Service software on your computer (you should have it on the CD that came with the phone or download it from the Sony Ericsson website), connect your phone to the computer via the supplied USB cable and run the program which will check if there is a software update for the W595. If an update is available, you should download it and hopefully, your phone will run smoothly. Alternatively, you could try a master reset, which will however erase all your data (music, games (except those preloaded by SE), contacts etc), so backing up contacts on the Memory Stick is always a good idea.

As to the problems with video, check this thread that refers to the issues you described which occur in the C905 as well: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=180322&start=0

Cheers!
    T100 Icy Blue 850i Golden White T650i Eclipse Black M600i Crystal White
    najkiie
    W595 Blue
    PM, WWW
    Posted: 2009-02-17 18:08
    Thank you so much for replying. I will do my best to install that, and then 'll comment back here on the forum saying if it went well, and if its working good.

The phone is completely new, shouldn't it have the newest updates etc.. in it? I got it yesterday.
    mobse
    W850 white
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 18:24
    If the phone is brand new, it should have the latest software. Should you decide to run the Sony Ericsson Update Service software, make sure your phone battery is fully charged and follow the instructions carefully. Maybe a master reset of the phone is a good first step on the way to eliminating the lag issue. Also, before resorting to that you could do a search of this forum and SE-NSE Forums http://forums.se-nse.net/ to see if anyone else had similar issues and what's the best way to resolve them.

Of course, there's always the option of sending the phone to your local Sony Ericsson Service Centre (assuming you have the manufacturer's warranty) in case of any serious software/hardware problems.

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: mobse on 2009-02-17 17:25 ]
    Lightspeed_x
    Sony Xperia Z1
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 19:53
    Hi, i think the problem might be related to the codecs used for video converting, the W595 can play MP4 files, but those files need to have certain parameters... try converting to .MP4 using Xvid codec with a frame rate of 29.97, a bitrate of about 480 kbps and an aspect ratio of 4:3 (320x240)...

Try it and good luck!

EDIT: MP4 format is a container, the video is actually encoded using profiles from other codecs, such as Xvid, H.264 and so on...

[ This Message was edited by: Lightspeed_x on 2009-02-17 18:57 ]
    najkiie
    W595 Blue
    PM, WWW
    Posted: 2009-02-17 20:33

On 2009-02-17 19:53:08, Lightspeed_x wrote:
    Hi, i think the problem might be related to the codecs used for video converting, the W595 can play MP4 files, but those files need to have certain parameters... try converting to .MP4 using Xvid codec with a frame rate of 29.97, a bitrate of about 480 kbps and an aspect ratio of 4:3 (320x240)...

What program do you suggest me to use? I just tried using media-convert.com, but that didn't let me choose Bitrate.
    daviep
    Samsung Galaxy S 4
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 21:15
    search for super video converter.its free,i use MP4 with xvid codec,384 kbs and 29.97.
    or cowon media centre and also a lot of people on ESATO swear by M3.
    najkiie
    W595 Blue
    PM, WWW
    Posted: 2009-02-17 21:38
    I found the program and i used the exact same settings as you posted above, but it still shows that message when i try to play it.

Look at this image:
    http://rapid-photo.com/uploads/ScreenShot_16.png
    That is the right program, right? I googled for it and i found several different programs with that name. First i downloaded one, but i understood it was the wrong one cause it couldn't convert to MP4 formats..

Any other ideas

[ This Message was edited by: najkiie on 2009-02-17 20:50 ]
    daviep
    Samsung Galaxy S 4
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 22:03
    try xvid codec,it shows divx in your pic,try the video bit rate at 384kbs,audio at 48
    najkiie
    W595 Blue
    PM, WWW
    Posted: 2009-02-17 22:18

On 2009-02-17 22:03:04, daviep wrote:
    try xvid codec,it shows divx in your pic,try the video bit rate at 384kbs,audio at 48

Sorry i got a little bit confused with the configuration... I thought xVid and DivX was the same thing? Apparently not, its working great now

I have a last question for you... if i make the Audio bitrate higher.. will it play faster then? Or will it just give me better quality?

THANK YOU!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: najkiie on 2009-02-17 21:20 ]
    anfearg
    G700 Bronze
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 22:19
    Just because the phone is new that does not mean that it wasnt sitting in a shop or warehouse for a while. I'd definitely go with the software update first if you still have the same problem than bring it back to where you got it or send it off for repair. No offence to daviep but your gona have to try the convert with lots of different settings with every video. Best of luck all the same
    daviep
    Samsung Galaxy S 4
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 22:21
    no probs.
    daviep
    Samsung Galaxy S 4
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-17 22:27
    higher video kbs=smoother,less blocky video,higher audio kbs=clearer sound but both will make the file larger.

[ This Message was edited by: daviep on 2009-02-17 21:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: daviep on 2009-02-17 21:31 ]
    najkiie
    W595 Blue
    PM, WWW
    Posted: 2009-02-17 22:48
    mobse, i tried making a Mater Reset and it is working a liiitle bit better. But there is no big difference, i just called the store where i bought the phone and they suggested me to come back with it tomorrow and get a new phone. And i could choose which one i want!!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Really appreciated!
    -Nike
    Silvernight
    Model not set
    PM
    Posted: 2009-02-22 10:54
    Hello, hope you don't mind if I ask a related question in the same topic? So I also want to play movies on my w595, and I donwloaded and installed this super video converter and xvid codec. But I don't know how to use the codec. I've just used the converter to convert a file to mp4 format, hoping it would somehow automatically use the required codec but I guess it didn't because my phone doesn't play the file. What do I have to do?
    Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi