Esato

Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > My review of the Nokia 5800 touch

123  Next
Author My review of the Nokia 5800 touch
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-01-08 14:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I am a SE fanboy since the T68 and my last SE phone was the K850,Nokia phones for me were ''for the masses'' and after I bought a N95 last year it didn't last 1 month before I sold it for a K850! I hated the cheap built and the too complicated menu of the N95 + poor battery of 10 hours max!
Now in January 2009 one year after I bought the K850,I wanted to change to a new cell phone after 2 BRODs and a cracky screen,so as usual I looked in the SE choice: C905 the natural successor of the K850 is too ''fat'' for me and I don't care anymore for a wow mp camera,the G705 is nice but SE didn't release it yet in our region(baaaad marketing SE) and God knows when! So I looked toward a used iphone because a brand new one cost 750$ and so I begin to read reviews and user comments about it and this phone appeared to be missing important stuffs like bluetooth pairing and sms forwarding,then I remembered an advertising about a nokia touch phone not expensive...it was the 5800 XM!! After reading lot of reviews the majority of them says it's an exellent phone including MR,so I bought it!!
And voila my personal review 24h after:
The good:
-Laaaarge screen,my K850 seems so small near it
-Loud volume
-Good touch response
-GPS,WIFI
-S60 V5 is way more easy to use than V3(N95)
-Browsing the net with the touch screen is so nice
-Google Maps using touch to slide maps
-Very few bugs,it's more some adjustements to be made like missing clock and missed calls notification in standby mode(after keylock)

The bads:
-The plastic borders,specially the one the right because of the page slider
-Missing notification as said before of missed calls and SMS when in standby (off screen)
-If an SMS is received while not in the home-screen we can't see it,we have to return to the home-screen
-finger traces(but it's normal for a touch screen phone)

About the battery it lasted only 24 hours after a first full charge BUT it's the very first charge AND the battery was half empty before charging it,so I preffer to try it more before jumping to conclusions,others dudes managed to have 2-3 days of battery.

So as you can understand I am happy with this new nokia phone which is far better than the crappy N95,so if you had a bad nokia experience before give them a second chance with this new kind of phone and a new better user friendly S60

kwabs2006
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-08 17:12
Wow! Im so in love with this phone!! Post pics pls! i really really want to buy this! The Iphone sucks (when it cmes to features). this has every thing i ever wanted in a phone. nice review btw
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-01-08 17:49
... nice would like to see some 'live' pics too...

still lovin my G1 which is basically the same phone a little smaller but with a clock and the best system notification system bar none!

Every program on Android can flash notifications in any app and i can check the begining of txts whilst in any other app....

plus i get all the google apps and much more and updates to fix problems are coming out...

i got ma fingers crossed for u that Nokia update the software and sort your problems out asap as it could be a great phone!

check out symbian freaks (google it!) for some great apps and news! ALL LEGAL!

J.
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-08 19:25
Hmmmm - glad to hear you like your 5800!

My brother is currently deciding whether to stick with Orange in London, and get a 5800, or go to Vodamoan or o2 for the X1....
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-01-08 23:51
Live pics taken with the Nikon D90

Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
kwabs2006
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-09 23:33
This is beautiful!
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-01-10 23:52
Congratulation.
It would be nice if you post more pictures from different angles. How is the screen? Is it scratch-resistance?
Neo-Tech
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-11 14:11
Great review and amazing photos, you have an awesome camera there, I wish I had one like that. Anyways, back on topic now.
Yakkaimono
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-01-11 15:36
Nice review!
I really want to try it out but I can't find it anywhere in germany.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-13 07:24
It really is one of the best TS phones out there
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-01-13 18:16
I still can't beleive I got it for this price!!
For the battery the Nokia center said it doesn't have physical problem and they beleived it was a bad FW so they flash it with the latest one V11,I will get it back tomorrow morning,I will test the battery again.
So far so good the only thing low in this phone is the camera indoors photos and videos that go greenish and very noisy,in good light and sunny days the pics are nice(enough for future spy pics at the beach)
karlosperu
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 03:29
we could see some photos taken with nokia 5800
silvan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 04:15
This phone really looks like it has alot of potential, the functionality seems to be quite close to the n96, bar the TV, 16GB mem, Dual CPU, better camera ( am I forgetting anything else ? ) . The only real downside to me is the fact that it does not support nGage, does anyone know why this is ? to me it would appear that technically teh specs are there to support it. Perhaps they are just not bothered trying to come up with new controles for the game ?

O by the way, can you use Nokia Vine with this phone ?
alexlt
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 04:29
Congrats, I think it's the first time Nokia UI looks great to my eyes Could we watch some pictures taken with your new baby please

Cheers
Xperia Arc LT15a ->> Sandisk 32Gb MicroSD Class 4, Sennheiser CX400-II & MW600
C905 ->> Modded R1FA035 Firmware, 8GB M2, HPM-70 & MPS-75

Visit my blog http://laviedepaulo.blogspot.com/
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-14 05:49
The camera is bad...way too bad. Can't see carl zeiss quality on it

The way to put the simcard is bad...way too bad.

The battery cover is bad...way too bad. Don't like the idea that the whole back is removable. exposing the camera lens and flash. Broke those hooks, you'll going to get a wobbly batt cover.

I'm disappointed...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi