Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Samsung Omnia, hot or not?

12  Next
Author Samsung Omnia, hot or not?
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-18 23:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I haven't tried one yet and so have decided my next mobile is going to be a WM one. I just wondered whether anyone has had any hands on experience with the Omnia?

If so what are you thoughts and feelings about it?

Many thanks

James
Formerly Known As SEP990i
Swag
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-19 00:21
It's nice. The screen resolution is quite low and I like a hardware keyboard, so it was Xperia for me.
JiSm
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-19 00:26
I sold the 16gb Omnia on Orange in the UK to a few people and it was really quite poor in comparison the Xperia and Touch HD. Operating speed was definately slower than the 2 mentioned and there was constant reports of bad battery life. If the Xperia or HD are within reach, they are definately better options performance wise.
"Back in the land of the long white cloud!"
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-19 12:16
I've a friend with one who seems pleased with it overall, but battery life can be a problem with it - apparently it's fine most of the time, but when he goes into a bad signal area it really hammers the battery. Obviously that's true of most phones as they have to work harder to maintain a signal, but the effect seems especially drastic on the Omnia. That's with the Vodafone firmware the handset came with though, I don't know if there have been any upgrades/generic firmwares that resolve this.

Aside from that it has the usual bundle of WM quirks but seems quite capable - the processor is good (and not a Qualcomm, which scores points with me).
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-12-19 16:32
I played with one and found it quite disappointing. The screen resolution is bad although 3'' big. Without stylus and qwerty it is bad for daily business activities. I wouldn't change my fantastic P1 for it.

p.s. stylus hanging around is no option for me.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-19 18:42
Fantastic P1 - that's very true...
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-28 00:14
Thanks for the replies. I have decided now that I definately want to try a windows mobile device even if I am disappointed I just can't decide whether I want a omnia or x1. Hmmmmmm
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-28 07:38
Why not check the Touch HD vs Xperia ? I think that is more of an even match. What's so special about the Omnia that the Touch HD lacks ?
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-28 18:31
Something about the Omnia just interests me and I cant quite put my finger on it but I will definately look into the Touch HD. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a trip to my local store is in order to have a try.

Regards

James
incoming
K610 silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-28 20:04
The most obvious thing you notice when you compare Touch HD and X1 with Omnia is the pixel density. The displays in HD and X1 are marvellous.

I've heard somewhere that there will be an updated version of Omnia next year where they, amongst other updates, have a new display with higher resolution.

Anyone who has info about that?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-12-28 21:12
X1 any day. Have you seen the size of the Omnia its massive. The X1 is smaller than i thought it would be and sexier.
Phone?? What phone??
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-28 21:15
Thanks incoming.

Any info would be great.
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2008-12-29 09:06

On 2008-12-28 21:12:00, Bonovox wrote:
X1 any day. Have you seen the size of the Omnia its massive. The X1 is smaller than i thought it would be and sexier.

are you kidding me? the omnia is much thinner than the X1 and i would hold up on getting the X1 on account of the "mystery" cracks that are showin up on them which makes it pretty repulsive.
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-31 16:02
Well I have had the Omnia for a couple of days now and all I can say is that this is a great peice of kit, screen is good even in sunlight, its easy to use without the stylus, it sinks with my laptop flawlessly.

I have tomtom 7 and garmin xt running on it, which i have yet to test out properly, but they both look good on the 3.2" screen.

And the battery has lasted me over 2 days on the first charge with me playing with it constantly.

Call reception and volume is excellent.

Overall I think that this phone is worth it
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-01-01 13:31
Thanks Del for that mini review. Its nice to get some good feedback.

I have ordered my Omnia as a upgrade from Vodafone but just wondered whether Vodafone have messed up the menus on the Omnia and if so can they be debranded?

Regards
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi