Author Nokia N97
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 22:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-12-02 22:21:50, gforce23 wrote:

On 2008-12-02 22:17:48, borisisinvin wrote:
Oh, that makes sense. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I love hand writing recognition. Thanks for the quick response btw, though a shame that they couldn't include it in the body of the phone...

Well, you'll probably end up buying one from an HK/European store anyway since it'll be 2010 before Nokia release the N97a for us Yanks.

So so so true, and sad... Though I read else where that they would be releasing a version for NA just after the European release. Whatever the case I won't be buying another phone for a while (just bought the X1), so it'll work out fine for me in the long run. :/
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 23:28
i'd take the n97 over the xperia in a heartbeat..
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-03 00:02

On 2008-12-02 22:17:48, borisisinvin wrote:
Oh, that makes sense. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I love hand writing recognition. Thanks for the quick response btw, though a shame that they couldn't include it in the body of the phone...

Funny you should mention this. I'm very curious if an OpenC or C++, or even a PyS60 app could take advantage of this?! We're beginning to see multimedia usefulness of touchscreen interaction of our PC's (Win7 & HP Touchsmart X2 & IC-840), and on our smartphones. Although this would be nice to be able to digitally hand write a signature to a legal document on your smartphone - and sent it off in an encrypted email - to a specific person to identify you.

@Marc,

Hi you doing old buddy? I activated 3 BB 9530's (Verizon) users last week on our Domino 7.01 server with ease - ease being the loose term because learning curve for touch was very hard for these old time BB users.

I gotta agree/dis-agree with you on the perception that the N97 is not a business phone. Sure although it not marketed as such - it has serious potential with that built-in hardware QWERTY keyboard. I'll mention why.

Nokia's agreements for the past 4mths make this N97 a serious potential for a business phone. Exchange ActiveSync support for over 40 different S60 phones has solidified the S60 as a mobile office contender, and futhermore with Lotus Traveller coming to the S60 this month - Domino Server Replication & SameTime collaboration for real-time corporate IM then only application interfaces or corporate specific applications support is needed - along with mobile security over the air. It remains interesting how Lotus Traveller will do on S60 3rd Edition - but for 5th Edition on the N97 would be very interesting.

* VoIP support for PBX on CISCO or Avaya is already been done by BOTH companies for S60 3rd Edition.

* Webkit browser just about fully supports most corporate internet sites; intranet sites would have difficulty for ADS authentication (can be adjusted) & corporate intranet mobile sites (like remedy 5/6/7 over MDS for BB) also may have issues.

* PDF viewing is very sufficient - I don't see WM excelling in this field as Adobe makes PDF Lite 2.5 for both systems.

* Excel, Word, PowerPoint editing again are on par for WM, BB & S60 - nothing I've read/seen/heard compare for iPhone-Mac OS. The BB has no PowerPoint editing - unless your willing to spend $100US for a particular editing suite (I've heard of 3 competitors in this space before OS 4.5 was conceived publicly).

* SAP is coming to the Blackberry platform - but I feel that the trackball navigation is very limiting with such a mobile implementation. I'd really like to see Nokia & SAP collaborate.

I'm sure there is still such a breadth of scope for S60 applications that can satisfy the N97 as a corporate device even if trialled like the E71 can.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 03:51
thanks marc for the cpu info. Anyways, i sure hope n97 can take 32 gb, cuz my n96 wasnt able to handle about 12gb worth of music and 32gb seems to be really kool...but....
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 04:26
No one is saying that there is anything wrong with the phone.Its a great phone, but got less hype than the one XPERIA got after its announcement. What i am trying to say is that it brings nothing new to the market.And those who are saying that its a multimedia phone and not an E90 successor, without knowing the RAM and the proccy info, we cant really speculate.

But if you put it the other way and try to reason that the E90 is non touch and the successor should be a non-touch with a flip design I guess you may have to wait longer for a true successor.N97 is a direct competitor to the XPERIA and the TOUCH PRO and when it arrives in the market, should be for a couple more devices, including android. i think Samsung should have more things up its sleeve in a couple of months.

Isnt the keypad too small??

[ This Message was edited by: se_dude on 2008-12-03 03:41 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 05:51
^^ I really don't like the design at all sorry nokia lovers, the specs are pretty good though I still feel innov8 is still the most powerful S60 phone around. The sticking arm supporting the LCD at the back looks fragile to me(even if it was a steel). waiting for a Samsung(8mp s60 touch) and SE's(yurika) answer at the MWC.
10 years at Esato
redsaph
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 08:27
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 12:47:41, Alpha Trion wrote:

On 2008-12-02 12:00:08, redsaph wrote:
Nokia is getting desperate for "MOAR!!!"

Of course, they use Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar which is also used by Sony Cyber-Shot cameras, so when Nokia tries an 8 MP, Nokia will get sued by Sony... WIN!

#2: Nokia N97 has silver and black colors, like SE's first Xperia Win-Mo powered device, X1.

#3:In GSMArena, X1 is rated as the most rates and viewed, so Nokia wants to defeat this title.

#4: Nokia taunted Engadget that they didn't post about this phone -- exactly, it was leaked last month. =P

#5: They do have a 5MP camera which X1 doesn't have. But X1 has greater resolution which is WVGA 800x480 than N97's almost VGA 640x360. X1 is a true WIDESCREEN phone.

#6: Nokia is jealous of SE, Samsung and LG.

#7: I bet my C902 can defeat N97 when taking pictures..

#8: Nokia can't make their own cameras -- only until CIF.. Lol!

#9: HSDPA 3.6MBPS? Puh-leez. Xperia has that speed. Maybe even 7.2MBPS..

#10: And almost N97 is heaver than X1.

#11: N97 has a a 3.5inch screen like an iPhone.

-- What's next? N98, N99, then N100? How stewpeed.

Are you plankgatan in disguise?

I think argument #6 holds the most weight cause i've just been on the official nokia site & there is a HUGE message (you can't miss it) that states.

We have released the N97 because we are jealous of SE, Samsung & LG.

Who is Plankgatan? I don't know him even u check our I.P.
-----------------

Nokia is such a loser. Admit it y'all!
My mom has Johnny-X's Xperia X1.
I have James Bond's C902.
My dad has the G900.
We are a Sony Ericsson family!
redsaph
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 08:32

On 2008-12-02 22:01:03, borisisinvin wrote:
Damn, and my Xperia X1 is coming by UPS TODAY! Oh well, at least I have a year or so (I hope, my wallet can't take much more of this!), before this hits the market. This phone looks great IMHO, irregardless of what naysayers here say. Quit hating y'all, can't you all JUST admire great technology for what it is like Dogmann mentioned? You all should be glad Nokia (the market leader) is FINALLY pushing the envelope like this, it'll force SE (and everyone else by default) to innovate and put the best tech into their next "flagship" phones! I think that Nokia has a winner on their hands with this phone, and at a great price at that too! Now, if only T-mobile USA can find it in their hearts to carry it at a subsidized price supporting their 3G bands, please Tmob?...Here are my thoughts on the N97:

The Bad:

* Like others have mentioned, the materials in it's construction make it look cheap! Plastic? Seriously Nokia, how much more would it cost you (us?) to use some premium materials like metal?

* I have my doubts about the slide mechanism. Nokia's slides have been notoriously bad (my N95 NGB is a little wobbly now after a little less than a years use), and this one looks like it'll be exceptionally bad. The plastic support used to tilt the screen looks rickety at best... How long will these last over prolonged use?

* Why no zenon flash Nokia?...

* everywhere I look it says the N97 supports stylus input. I can't seem to spot a stylus housing port anywhere on the phone in all of the pictures? Anyone?...

The Good:

* Unlike what everyone else on this forum says, I like the placement of the Dpad! Can we all say "NES/SNES/GBA emulator controls"?... These look like a dream come true for gaming with Vbag and Vnes on S60!

* I failed to see one of Nokia's standard power plug-ins anywhere on the phone for charging the phone, does this mean that we now have USB charging?!?!?.... If so, about damn time!

* Nobody else noticed the lens and flash cover in the photos of the N97?..... I wish my incoming Xperia had one... What a great addition to an already great phone IMO. Hopefully this is a portend of things to come from all manufacturers. What a novel idea, imagine that, a lens cover to cover the lens on all phones?...

* As much as I have my doubts about the tilting screens support as evidenced in some of the photos, I love love LOVE the fact that it tilts the screen by 35%!!! Imagine watching something on a device like this! I always wished my N95 8GB had a kickstand (not unlike the N96)!

* 32GB of flash ROM, with the option to expand it by another 16GB with a microSDHC card!!!!

* 1500mh battery folks, 'nuf said.

All in all, this thing sounds like a beast. I can't wait for the reviews to start coming in the next year or so after it's released. In the meantime, everyone should just step away for the proverbial "ledge" and take a breath. At the very least, wait until the WMC like someone else mentioned earlier, before forming any strong opinions about the phone either way. Whatever the case, and considering Nokia's past track record (and how much of their future success probably rides on this phones success), I think they have a winner on their hands as well as the first true challenger to teh iPhone's crown as the best multimedia smartphone (and it ONLY took 2 years)! Who said there was no room for "deadzone" handsets like this? Well researched Nokia.

[ This Message was edited by: borisisinvin on 2008-12-02 21:22 ]

Nokia being market leader? Puh-leez! Samsung and SE are.. Nokia has its stocks fell down last Q2 and Q3. Lol.

And Engadget hates Nokia... Srsly.
My mom has Johnny-X's Xperia X1.
I have James Bond's C902.
My dad has the G900.
We are a Sony Ericsson family!
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 10:03
lmao @ redsaph..

Can i ask...does stupidity come naturally to you? I already have the answer, but, i just want to see if you realise what a tit your making of yourself...lol.
gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 12:37

On 2008-12-03 08:32:06, redsaph wrote:
And Engadget hates Nokia... Srsly.

You remind me of iEye from Engadget... Seriously.

For those who haven't seen it, a hands-on video has been posted out here.

[ This Message was edited by: gforce23 on 2008-12-03 11:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gforce23 on 2008-12-03 11:43 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-03 13:03
its not as bad as people here as making it out to be
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 13:16

On 2008-12-03 13:03:01, QVGA wrote:

We aren't making it sound bad, just not as good as you'd wish.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 13:18

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-12-19 12:38 ]
pavlov's_dog
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 13:19
it's an OK phone but can't say i'm impressed. and really, isn't this just the 5800xm with a slightly larger screen, qwerty keyboard and better cam? but what irks me the most is that horrendous UI. it just looks awful and lazily conceptualized especially in landscape mode, with the softkeys occupying a third of the right side of the screen. not very appealing from a designer's POV.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 13:40

On 2008-12-03 13:16:54, NightBlade wrote:

On 2008-12-03 13:03:01, QVGA wrote:

We aren't making it sound bad, just not as good as you'd wish.

I doubt anything out right now is as good as we wish, even the XPERIA is not so revolutionary. We've reached a point where nearly everything possible has been put in to phones, all its about now is what its meant for and who's gona buy it. I had a chance to play on a 5800xm and found the UI realy great, and the phone in general just has everything i want but NOT all that i wish lol. If you dont like it then get the steppin bud.
I cant understand why people compare this to a X1 and TouchPro, arent both Business devices? They are rivald by the E90. The N97 IMO is an Omnia rival both are aimed at Multimedia.
Personaly im excited, now that I HAVE HAD 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE with s60v5 i hope to get a 5800xm if the N97 is too expensive.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 202122  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic