Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Ericsson Communicator Platform-Anyone know of its release??

Author Ericsson Communicator Platform-Anyone know of its release??
john74
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-16 13:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ericsson's new Communicator Platform for the first time combines the communication industry’s hottest technologies and features in one device.

This combination of mobile Internet browsing, messaging, imaging, location based applications and services, mobile telephony and personal information management has never before been shown.

The primary purpose of The Ericsson Communicator platform is to offer integrated communication and information services all in one single device, handling with the variety of communication and information demands that busy people are exposed to these days.

The communicator platform is prepared for the latest in GSM technologies, such as HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Switched Data) and GPRS (General Packet Radio Services). Triple band GSM (900/1800/1900) makes this device a truly global mobile. It supports Internet access both via WAP and HTML.

With the built-in Bluetooth-chip it can connect wirelessly with other devices. Symbian’s open platform (EPOC) makes it possible to personalize the device with third party applications. With the built-in GPS receiver, the device is ideal for applications providing positioning information. The user interface is based upon the ¼ VGA format which Ericsson firmly believes to be an ideal size for a mobile communications devices and applications. The device has a color touch screen, which allows for easy navigation, pen-input and handwriting recognition.

The prototype shown at CeBIT is based on regular GSM, but Ericsson sees this form of device evolving into packet data operation and GPRS; a coming GSM standard which will further enhance the value of this type of device through its higher bandwidth and "instant on and always connected" type of operation.

"We are proud to present Ericsson’s first product platform in the 'communicator' product category," says Jan Ahrenbring, Vice President Marketing and Communications at Ericsson Mobile Communications. "The reason for why we show our platform today is mainly to stimulate the development of new solutions and applications that take advantage of the technologies which will be used in communications devices in the near future."

The application software integrates and combines telephony, messaging, Internet/intranet access, address book, diary and other essential mobile features. The main applications can be synchronized with a PC and major office applications.

Key features in Ericsson’s communicator platform:

WAP browser
HTML browser
Location based services
Ericsson Mobile News
E-mail, SMS, Fax
Sound player
Word viewer
Agenda
Contacts
To-Do List
Note taker (Jotter)
Dictaphone
Speaker function and voice control
GSM phase 2
GPRS
HSCSD
GPS receiver
Bluetooth
IrDa
Ericsson Mobile Internet
heres a photo
http://cellular.co.za/ericsson_communicator_platform.htm

[ This Message was edited by: john74 on 2002-02-16 14:04 ]
Merkur
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-19 20:13
I saw the Communicator Platform on last years CeBIT and I tell you, It's HUGE!!! It's so big I wouldn't ever consider buying it! To give you an idea of it's size you should take a couple of R380's, take of the other ones antenna and place them side by side. Then you will have the approx. size of the R380.
I think it is only a concept phone and will never be released in its current form. Maye will come up with a slimmer version later? Who knows.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-19 20:56
i dont think it will be releasd because of the joint venture whit sony. :sad:
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-02 07:02
I've just seen a very similar looking thing by SIEMENS, the SX45, It's magnificent what it can do... but it's VERY big. It's 800$ and about the size of TWO nokia communicators... and it's 330g...

Who would use that???
racingboy
P990
PM
Posted: 2002-05-11 22:43
in the top stand this: Note: Ericsson will probably not release this unit in its present form, but will instead relase a more slimmed-down version in 1Q2001

where is it?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi