Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SE-09-Portfolio

Previous  123 ... 477478479  Next
Author SE-09-Portfolio
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-11-23 16:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Dropping Symbian entirely alienates a considerable amount of smartphone users still using P1i, P990i or the odd man out using G900/G700 units.

I disagree. Has an ex-UIQ fan and user, i do not recognize the actual "symbian" s60 has something even remotely adequate to replace UIQ. I hate it, and i think SE should drop it entirely and replace it by Android, that in itself in much more similar to the awesome next generation UIQ concepts we´ve seen.
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-11-23 16:12
Symbian is actually fine if SE wants to create mid-end multimedia smartphones and enterprise phones like they once had (They really have to provide a proper mail service to back it up though). The range would be a nice alternative to the E series and priced right, would compliment the high priced WM devices. Frankly, Android is nowhere near Symbian when it comes to functionality.

Just because Eldar said Symbian is going down doesn't make it so. The W995, which Eldar called a niche product that won't sell well (Sounds familiar, doesn't it) has become a modern day best seller for SE. Let's wait and see how the U5 turns out.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-11-23 15:13 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-23 18:44

On 2009-11-23 16:12:58, synn wrote:
Symbian is actually fine if SE wants to create mid-end multimedia smartphones and enterprise phones like they once had (They really have to provide a proper mail service to back it up though). The range would be a nice alternative to the E series and priced right, would compliment the high priced WM devices. Frankly, Android is nowhere near Symbian when it comes to functionality.

Just because Eldar said Symbian is going down doesn't make it so. The W995, which Eldar called a niche product that won't sell well (Sounds familiar, doesn't it) has become a modern day best seller for SE. Let's wait and see how the U5 turns out.
[ This Message was edited by: synn on 2009-11-23 15:13 ]

Exactly.
Eldar is a lunatic these days IMO,
for me lost completely it's credibility.

@ares
Yes and No!
Today I'm not a Symbian fan at all.
However how the OS will turn out depends on the company which tweaks it.
I mean if it was possible to built UIQ over it... Nothing's impossible.

But to be honest Symbian UI today is the worst.
Not consistent, with the ugliest Today screen ever, not even eyecandy,
with the input fields looking like cr..p.

I don't like Android much and I keep fingers crossed for WM,
but UI wise Android beats Symbian.....

But we'll see.
a w a r e
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-11-23 19:51
I agree with everything he says, there is no point moaning about him talking about the company as a whole because we all want to hear it (really).

Anyway, he wasn't negative about the device, only stating the truth, if the camera module is poor then its poor, no point covering it up. He even said he found the device "likeable".

But the real success lies in the cost of the phone, really should release it for the price eldar said, as its about time sony ericsson had a best seller (and no the W995 or C905 were not bestsellers). Otherwse there is no way the device will sell. not with the Satio been released so close and by then the Satio will cost less, this device is doomed unless it is priced apropriatley.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2009-11-23 21:08
Actually, the C905 and W995 sold pretty well.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 02:26

On 2009-11-23 19:51:09, 10123 wrote:
I agree with everything he says, there is no point moaning about him talking about the company as a whole because we all want to hear it (really).

He spent the majority of the preview talking about the company rather than the fraggin phone. Show me a non-SE preview from him that does the same.

On 2009-11-23 19:51:09, 10123 wrote:
Anyway, he wasn't negative about the device, only stating the truth, if the camera module is poor then its poor, no point covering it up. He even said he found the device "likeable".

He has said that about every SSE cam module released recently, icluding the C905, the W995, the Satio and the Aino. Real world experience showed otherwise. What is a "non-cheap" camera module then? A Leica Tri-Elmar lens coupled to a 15 MP Kodak CCD sensor? Get real.

Is Eldar so naive to think that say, Nokia makes "Non-cheap" camera modules because they have a "Carl-Zeiss" branding on them? Newsflash: Branding doesn't make a PoS plastic lens comparable to precision hand cut german glass.

The fact is, SE cam modules are nowhere as bad as he makes them out to be. WHy wasn't he moaning about the HTC HD2's module? Has HTC EVER put a halfway decent camera in a phone?

Lastly, asking the readers to judge a camera with images and video from an early prototype.

lol. Just, lol.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 06:34
most of the time the articles Eldar wrote is focusing on Russia market.
in reality the world of mobile phone didn't focus there.

its at China/ Japan/ Korea/ West Europe.
believe it or not....love it or hate it. this is the reality and he have no idea what is going on.

the biggest problem as I notice for SE to really make it big time is their lack of key product to be offer to Americas. The last big product they nail America market is W580. most of the other product don't seem to do that well.

If SE focus on West Europe.....that's where we see they can't grow. since the market is quite saturated now. It only rely on replacement model. SE manage to come out from the red when there's a big market to replace monochrome display phone to color screen phone with camera. Further more Vodafone/ Carphonewarehouse/ Orange/ T mobile and other big operator is at Europe. That's one of their key market.

China pressence for SE still quite poor. I been there...seen those trend they love....its either nokia/ Samsung or Motorola. But to really get big in China...you need to be cheap which SE can't compete with Nokia or those local china Mediatek based grey box phone which offer analogue TV function but cost a fraction since they can share same IMEI number over the whole production lot.

Japan....well SE only provide to AU now...no more NTT.

while Korea...they have nothing there.

that's why I am still looking forward what is the route the new management is taking when there's rumour news they need to focus on high end product which is logic since India and China is mainly Nokia turf on ultra low end beside local china made grey box product.

the future isn't just about market share....same like the focus on processors....no one go for Mhz or Ghz speed. its all about squeezing more transistor to do more thing concurrently.

hmmm I am picking up bits of info here and there...hopefully this is not confusing

well hopefully 2010 portfolio is improving.

I really hope 2009 portfolio is same as 2002 portfolio....that's the year when SE suffer badly and then 2003 they come out with T610. They come back once. I hope they do it again.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 06:37
http://metrics.admob.com/wp-c[....]dMob-Mobile-Metrics-Oct-09.pdf

this PDF is interesting. SE don't do well in top handset being sold ...found on page 7.

even Kyocera have a model there....Motorola Z6M also on the chart.

sometimes the business is complicated.... since a lot of these makers rely on bulk shipment to operator for their output.

SE as I notice when browsing on major operator web site....really lack in offering any product to those operator
which will mean their market share sucks.
rizzamarv
Xperia Ray
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 11:36
@synn

Totally agree with your post. This guy is biased beyond reason. Never points out anything positive about the handsets (always evaluates way before release) and simply critizes things he totally ignores from other manufacturers (like the camera module) The idiot couldn't even keep his hands still when taking the "sample" shots. My Grandma can take better pics!

For me this just means not to pay any attention to this guy and his info anymore. For sure reading that article was the last time I wasted 5mins of my life.

Now any news for Abelin?
Karun
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-24 15:52
Too many of us are indulging in Eldar bashing here but this time I frankly agree with what he has to say. SE just HAS to get its pricing right. No matter how big an SE fan that I am, it feels dismal to see sony ericsson's devices being neglected and ignored by retailers due to the price point at which they debut being so high that there's really no incentives in pushing them. The consumers in most parts of the world are price sensitive and things like brand loyalty are secondary. People are willing to jump over to anyone who's willing to offer better at decent prices.

Sony Ericsson's pricing policy is totally out of sync with the current market conditions and am afraid things will continue to look bleak for SE ( on the sales front) if they fail to rectify this.
For all Sony Mobile news:
Sony Mobile Evangelist
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 16:50
Dude, that was like 6 months ago. The W995, the Aino, the Satio and the Yari have all been priced VERY reasonably.
In many markets, the Satio was actually a bit cheaper than the OmniaHD in a few days after the launch.

domipost
Hazel
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-24 16:54
W995 en Aino are a bit expensive here, but I agree. They still have to price Kurara well, though
Radu_91
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 16:55
does anyone know if sony ericsson will launch some high-end candybars in the near future ?
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-24 20:52

On 2009-11-24 02:26:49, synn wrote:
He spent the majority of the preview talking about the company rather than the fraggin phone. Show me a non-SE preview from him that does the same.

Exactly. Why not moaning about a fuc..ng HTC HD2 camera FAULT?
Well he is maybe blind, but basically has NO interest in moaning about HTC...
a w a r e
Karun
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-25 06:00
@Synn

I agree with that, but in many markets the pricing is preposterous, especially with respect to competition. For eg..in some asian countries, a W595 is priced higher than say the nokia 5800.

Check out this camera sample from the Kurara:
http://www.mobile-review.com/lj/2414.jpg

It's far from acceptable, let alone being impressive. I just hope SE manages to fix this in the retail model.

@10123 and nightblade

The W995 sold better than other SE phones in the recent past, no doubt about that. but considering that the actual production was 6 times as much as they managed to sell, I'd say it's SE's pricing again whch played spoilsport.

Imagine a scenario when a device like the Kurara is priced at around 300-350 euro. It'll sell like hot cakes. There would be no greater joy for me than seeing sony ericsson phones being sold by the dozens and to trump those 'value for money' offerings by nokia.
For all Sony Mobile news:
Sony Mobile Evangelist
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 477478479  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic