mreman4k
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-16 23:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-06-16 23:31:14, Legen wrote:

On 2009-06-16 18:17:16, 10123 wrote:

On 2009-06-16 06:05:45, Legen wrote:
fingers crossed. samsung's strategy seems to be to just challenge/copy every phone there is out there. 1st the Satio with the pixon 12 and now the LG s-class phones with their cube interface thing.

I doubt they are coping tbh, im pretty sure the pixon12 has been in the works before Idou announcmnet in Jan, also most companies have a road map for 2-3 years in advance so i doubt they are copying anyone.

so u saying they are always ahead? and its jus coincidence that they always only reveal their "original" ideas afta some other manufacturer? seriously. two words man. reverse engineering

It happens more often than you think. You cannot reverse engineer a phone (thats not available) in two months. WTF? It's rather arrogant to say Samsung is copying SE...lol. Like someone said before, product roadmaps are laid out 2-3 years in advance with some flexibility to alter during the journey down the roadmap. However, you are NOT going to realize a competitor has a 12MP camera phone, then all of sudden popup with your own in 2 months. But I digress.
xumdeo
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-17 09:27
the roadmap part is true, but it's more like 18months now instead of 2-3 years

"you are NOT going to realize a competitor has a 12MP camera phone, then all of sudden popup with your own in 2 months. But I digress."
1. you are going to realize that a competitor has a 12mp phone, especially when there are only 1 or 2 companies making 12MP CMOS sensors for phones
2. you can popup with your own (announce), and produce 10 demo models for the roadshow, while getting the sourcer back on table and force them to pump up production (or agree to pay a premium). or worst case scenario, launch the phone in "designated" markets first, when we all know that it's due to the shortage of parts
3. the change of sensor could be considered a "minor change" as well, samsung probably has 10MP phones planned out originally, now all they have to do is to wipe out the 0 and stick a 2 up there on the shell. just the sensor itself does not require reverse-engineering. (a good example of reverse engineering would be Nokia N76 from Sharp SH900i which took almost 2 years to get the software and hardware, but you can blame S60)
4. samsung has the money, inhouse manufacturing capacity to make big changes fast, saturate the market and attempt to drive competitors out, just that they haven't managed. Nokia brand loyalty is too strong.
[ This Message was edited by: xumdeo on 2009-06-17 08:31 ]
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 09:40
Culdn't hav put it better myself
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 09:52
Doesnt most manufacturrers have inhouse manufacturing capacities??
xumdeo
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:00

On 2009-06-17 09:52:32, se_dude wrote:
Doesnt most manufacturrers have inhouse manufacturing capacities??

well, abercrombie, american eagle, giordano, gap, old navy, banana republic, esprit are all from the same factories in the Guangdong province of China... but it depends on which season, and what type of clothing, varies. some are made in thailand, malaysia, the philipines

btw, the 6-sided cube on touchwiz-2 is a balatant bully to LG
they bully LG all the time

next thing to steal from LG would be the transparent keypad, but I guess samsung is sitting back to see how it sells first
[ This Message was edited by: xumdeo on 2009-06-17 09:03 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:07
The korean fight is getting a bit too boring. And i think now that Sony should allow SE to use some of its factories to better quality and increase speed..

Btw, any news on the SE even thats on now?
clauf
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:08
Precisely. I did learn a new thing: didn't know the N76 used SH900i's module... they could've chosen a better one *rolls eyes*

Besides, Samsung's release of the four phones were practically the same phone just with 4 different operating systems to cater to everyone in the world. Boring... This is why they have so many phones in their portfolio.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:09

On 2009-06-16 23:54:52, mreman4k wrote:

On 2009-06-16 23:31:14, Legen wrote:

On 2009-06-16 18:17:16, 10123 wrote:

On 2009-06-16 06:05:45, Legen wrote:
fingers crossed. samsung's strategy seems to be to just challenge/copy every phone there is out there. 1st the Satio with the pixon 12 and now the LG s-class phones with their cube interface thing.

I doubt they are coping tbh, im pretty sure the pixon12 has been in the works before Idou announcmnet in Jan, also most companies have a road map for 2-3 years in advance so i doubt they are copying anyone.

so u saying they are always ahead? and its jus coincidence that they always only reveal their "original" ideas afta some other manufacturer? seriously. two words man. reverse engineering

It happens more often than you think. You cannot reverse engineer a phone (thats not available) in two months. WTF? It's rather arrogant to say Samsung is copying SE...lol. Like someone said before, product roadmaps are laid out 2-3 years in advance with some flexibility to alter during the journey down the roadmap. However, you are NOT going to realize a competitor has a 12MP camera phone, then all of sudden popup with your own in 2 months. But I digress.

FULLY agree... if any of you have did a daily browse at FCC site like I do, you will notice many Samsung product get the short term confidentiality notice....some of them ends up being phone not yet announced by Samsung. It normally have a lock down period of 2 to 3 months before it get release for public viewing at FCC site...that's almost like 1 month to 2 months after Samsung announced it.

sometimes it does suggest Samsung could be leading....excpet on the part for mobile platform as we on and off heard samsung is signing agreement with Ericsson.... then they also using Symbian..... recently ST-Ericsson etc...

Samsung have the upper hand since they have division in making camera module (selling to other makers)....display (also sell to other makers) etc. it can suggest many of those latest camera module and display is tested by their in house phone making division before Samsung have it release to mass market (other maker)....this is something Nokia/ Motorola/ SonyEricsson lack of....even they have a strong history in mobile platform. LG having similar advantage since they have division that even product plastic resin....i think samsung also have division on plastic resin and paint if you browse into their corporate homepage.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:13
to continue my remark....it just ends up SE/ Nokia/ Motorola on the disadvantage side at the down turn as they can't cut their price down too much.....most they can do is reduce the usage in outsource manufacturing but still they need to outsource the manufacturing of plastic/ display/ speaker/ battery/ pcb/ chipset to others....where else the korean have their own in house sister company to help out and i am not surprise that alone can help in bring down the cost.

LG also make battery for mobile phone....I know Samsung have a factory for PCB that get burnt...but I am not sure what PCB they make....but i can't rule out they can product PCB for mobile phone.

opsss...off topic but i hope this information can let some of us understand why it is so hard for SE to have cost effective stuff.... of course their product could be expensive due to poor design that lead to unnecessary process or components etc etc etc.
xumdeo
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:37
clauf: n76 did not use any parts of the sh900i (for example the much better CCD cam and ASV screen)
just the concept and design
before that you didnt not see any nokia phones with large enough displays outside for you to read your messages for example, or dual screens for u to take pictures with the phone closed.

then they used similar concepts outside the n-series, but they did not sell particularly well

anyway, that's a bit sidetracked, back to SE

sony does make some of the components for phones, but ended up SE (outside jp) started buying non-sony parts to cut costs SE and sony are 2 separate companies even though they share the same building in certain countries lol, they won't give SE a discounted price (enough to make a difference) just because there's an S
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:40
well ....Sony just get very dysfunctional when Samsung is growing
rizzamarv
Xperia Ray
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:46
So really nothing in singapore....? Ok la, will be patient one more time! Prefer them taking some more time and uping the specs to what was written some pages ago and not using the ones on the proto pics we saw. If they use the rumoured specs then they should be the number one for wm for some months (all samsungs devices seem to be using old hardware and are rather slow gsmarena)

Prefer a device which would be upgradeable from wm 6.5 to 7...
xumdeo
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:50
Samsung is way too big, with universities named after the company, heavy industry branches, insurance company, stakes in major phone operaters. a real conglomerate. in other countries this might not be allowed due to anti-competitive laws, but in korea large comglomerates dominate: SK, hyundae, daewoo, samsung, LG

so if you compare SE with samsung, of course SE seems crippled, everybody will look crippled when compared to samsung.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-06-17 10:57
But indeed. Sony compared to Samsung isnt all that small?? Is it?? Sony have huge market dominance throughout the world and have a gaming platform which samsung hasnt breached yet.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 310311312 ... 477478479  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic