Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Does Overcharging damages your phone?

Previous  123  Next
Author Does Overcharging damages your phone?
dennevhyn_31
K800 Brown
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-19 19:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@crossmatched: what does "optimized charging" means? Does it mean that the charger will stop if the battery is already full? I think maybe, hehe. Optimized and full are synonymous, hahaha.
"No one can predict to what heights you can soar until you spread your wings."
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-20 00:17
Well i guess. . . . .

Hehehehe
amanhotep
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-23 05:41
But in some SE,the text 'optimized' appears at the time you plug it in.
Maybe it is the firmware bug.
Don't you think 'optimized' means the battery already full?
Ha haa,I don't mind of it,as long the charging indicator still show it's progression.

Yes Bro,charge the phone all night long (leave it charge while you're sleeping) it is not damage ur battery.
I never try to charge it over 24 hours,because I need my phone almost evrytime.
gothenk
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-23 17:39

hello guys, first sorry 4 my english
I think its ok if u charge you phone while ur sleeping, coz u will not sleeping for 24 hours a day..... or somebody....... lol

16 Gigs Optimus Black
4 Gigs Radiation Silver Kate
2 Gigs Champagne Black Emilie
4 Gigs Vapour Silver Naite
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-23 20:41
You should be careful charging a phone overnight as some nokia phones have exploded while on charge. The majority of chargers should prevent overcharging (which will damage your battery) but some cheaper chargers may not. Buyer beware!
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-10-24 16:28
It was not the phones that exploded, it was the batteries in them. The reasons can be faults in the chargers or faults in the batteries.
Anyway, the text "Optimized charging" is displayed in an phone when the charger is connected and an original battery is used. In some way the phone manages to make a distinction between original batteries and other (i.e. 3:rd party vendors, pirate versions or fakes). The difference between optimized carging and non-optimised charging is that it charges original batteries with higher charging current, i.e. less charging time. Also, when the battery gets fully charged, the charger switches to maintenance mode, charging the battery with a very low current to compensate from power leakage, and thus, it's impossible to overcharge the battery with a fairly modern phone
HPkuK610i
Sony Xperia ZR
PM
Posted: 2008-10-24 17:04
Hello...
I've a question that maybe a lil out of topic here,but still about charging.

In SE phone,is it the vibration still working(i.e when receive call/sms) while charging?mine yes.
And im just curious,coz as far as i remember other brand don't vibrate while charging...

Oh and sorry for my english
Black C5502

I Colors On My Signature
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-25 05:51
Yes! Mine also is still vibrating while in charge. Older SE models dont have the capacity to vibrate while in charge! Only the latest models i think has that function! . . . . .
HPkuK610i
Sony Xperia ZR
PM
Posted: 2008-10-25 06:54
@Chuaherson
Thanks for the reply man...
Black C5502

I Colors On My Signature
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-25 08:18
guys, there is absolutely no harm in charging lithium battery based phones for as long as you like. Just feel the charger and you know if it's alright or not. If a phone has been on charge all night and the charger is NOT warm to the touch, then it obviously isn't charging is it?

And this is in fact the case. Lithium battery chargers only charge the battery until it is full, they then stop charging. So you cannot shorten your battery life or overheat the battery by leaving it on charge.

That is a fact btw, not a guess. I researched this myself when I first started using lithium batteries.

Nimh battery chargers on the other hand trickle charge the battery regardless of whether it's full or not.

Other factors to do with Lithium batteries: they do not suffer from memory affect, and do not need to be deep cycled to maintain condition. You don't have to regularly discharge lithium batteries. You can put them on charge when ever you like, and leave them on charge for however long you like and it will have little affect on battery life.
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-10-27 16:58
The only "voodoo" thingie I have heard about Li-Ion batteries is that they should be charged fully the first 2-3 times they are charged, and that the charging capacitty does not reach its peak until after a couple of charging cycles.
In fact, this is not quite as "voodoo" as it might sound, since it has something to do with how the crystal structure builds up around the electrodes inside the battery.

Otherwise, I fully agree with max, just put the phone on charger at will, whenever possible and as long as is convenient.

About the vibrator function, I remember that my old T39 did not vibrate if it was placed in a table stand. I suppose that it was switched off to prevent it from jumping out of the stand maybe.
My K800i does vibrate when the charger is connected, but I haven't tried with a table stand, since I don't have one.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-04 05:51

On 2008-10-27 16:58:29, altemyr wrote:
The only "voodoo" thingie I have heard about Li-Ion batteries is that they should be charged fully the first 2-3 times they are charged, and that the charging capacitty does not reach its peak until after a couple of charging cycles.
In fact, this is not quite as "voodoo" as it might sound, since it has something to do with how the crystal structure builds up around the electrodes inside the battery.

Otherwise, I fully agree with max, just put the phone on charger at will, whenever possible and as long as is convenient.

About the vibrator function, I remember that my old T39 did not vibrate if it was placed in a table stand. I suppose that it was switched off to prevent it from jumping out of the stand maybe.
My K800i does vibrate when the charger is connected, but I haven't tried with a table stand, since I don't have one.

yes they probably do take a recharge or two before reaching full capacity. But the difference is small. I put on charge everynight, so by the time a few days have passed the phone has been well charged.

I don't think they have to be fully charge cycled the first few times ie: discharged fully then charged back up again. I think they just need to be fully charged ie: charged from whatever level they are at, to full charge.
Bialynia
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-09 07:34
New phones use lithium batteries, you can charge them as long and as often as you want without degradation, this was not the case before Lithium batteries.
DJ Saloma
W902 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-09 08:25
Sometimes my K850i remains connected with charger for whole night, but nothing happens to battery! Instead, its life time increases!
I !
"Everyone has to die one day, so enjoy every moment of life!"Feel free to mail me at: djcpr62@gmail.com
chuaherson
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-09 12:45
LOL
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi