Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > Please sticky!!!Experienced User w810 Constant [not flashing] white screen

Author Please sticky!!!Experienced User w810 Constant [not flashing] white screen
holypanl
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-10-02 05:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This afternoon, I was using my laptop, and doing nothing odd or anything, like sitting crossed legged or something, and then eventually, since I love my sonyericsson w810, I picked up the dear device...only to find that it had a plain white screen.

The phone works and everything, and I can recognise the sounds it makes when I enter the worng password at startup, and I cna make calls, and even use the Walkman...but all with a perfectly pristine white screen.

Now I know of the white flashing screen error, which I usually get when I do somethng dumb with my main. I also know how to fix it. I know a lot about SE and flashing etc, and in fact I fix SE phones for my schoolmates

Now: When I saw this, seeing as i had not flashed my phone in (I can confidently say) about 4 months, and I've had NO problems since my last flash to aply the BookManager patch, I decided:

1)Try reflashing the main. The easiest, and laziest way to start any SE debugging. Didn't work.

2)Okay...too lazy, so I went straight ahead and tried to reflash my GDFS using setool. Nope. No results.

3)Aright...so i went in my phone with FAR, and re-uploaded my Display0.dat driver. No change.

4)The only thing I have,'t done so far is to reflash my Fs...i have a certain bias about that...it takes to damned long. But I'm doing it rihgt now, anyway.

If anyone else knows somehting about this, please post and help me. Note carefully that posts like: "Just Flash the Main." or "I got this problem already...with the flashing white screen, right? Just flash ur firmware!!!:)" are irrelevant. since this is not the FLASHNING white screen error.

[ This Message was edited by: holypanl on 2008-10-02 18:43 ]
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-02 05:26
The screen itself is either broken, or has a loose connection to the mainboard. If you want to, open up your phone and fiddle with the screen connection. If that doesn't fix it, you may have to buy a new screen.
holypanl
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-10-02 06:22
Heh...and just after I'd upped my lethrgic derierre and flashed the effing FS, Main, and GDFS all over again...

Aww man... I was hoping this wouldn't be the answer...

You see, here in the third world, we can't just prance up to some Sony Ericsson office somewhere (A sony Ericsson office in Trinidad? haha. Lol. Got me there. I aint never seen one.) and say: "Hey, you: I gots me a warranty. Gimme a new phone, loser."

Cos it won't work.

Anyway: I'll see what i can do with the fiddling method: the warranty serves me no good.

strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-10-02 08:42
Have you tried flashing the phone by folowing this tutorial:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=156090

you need firmware files that match themselves so get them from www.4shared.com (use the search option there)...
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
killerPK
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-02 14:59
The only thing you didnt try was probably the solution i.e reflash FS, because i think you put in wrong display driver. So just reflash FS or download original display driver for the phone and copy that to ifs/settings/dispdriver.
holypanl
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-10-02 19:37
Solution to Both cases of WSoD

Strizlow, Did you even bother to read my entire post? the last paragraph or so would ave told you not to post if that was all you had to say... god.

Either way: This morning, I did the whole caboodle: Reflash Main, Fs, GDFS, upload Customization, everything, but nothing good Happened.

But: I've found the Solution to the WSOD!!! It's actualy not Software related.

See, there are two different typd of WSod. The first type, which is no big deal, is the one when it's flashing.

The deadly one is when it's NOT flashing, but your phone works, and you can make calls, and everything. This is actually a Hardware error.

This morning, at around 9:00 I opened my phone. (Don't panic: I know what I'm doing...) Now as soon as I opened it, I shifted the screen around a bit.

Then, without replacing the cover, I put in the battery and switched it on. Lo and behold, the LCD flickered, and then it was working perfectly.

But then, I decided to pull out the clip for the LCd and see why the screen had moved, since the w810's screen is screwed on at the top right. Shouldn't move. So I did that, and loked around, as well as cleaned a bit, then put it back. Lo and behold, it was white again.

Only this time, it was flickering off, and not flickering and working. This is obviously not an improvement. So I lifted the LCd, and the screen turned off completely even though the phone was on. HUH?

Check the wire!! And yes!!

The connecting wire on the bottom of the w810 screen is bent, by manufacturers, into an 'N' shape, then packed onto itself. Not just in mine, but in all. I've opened other peoples phones before too.

So I noticed that one small end of the wire was severely pressed in, and had a totally flat seam appearance. And there, my friends is the problem:

The bent-ness of the iwre causes it to deteriorate and then tear. My wire was torn. Tada.

So I only need a new screen.

Could a mod please sticky this topic? People ned to realize that there are two types of white screen errors you get on w810. I was uprprised to find out that this problem is actually pretty common. So the white screen that doesn't flash, and allows you use the phone, and make calls is a hardware error, like I've described here.

And everyone knows that when you have a flashing white screen, it means you simply have a corrupt main, and that a fresh main would solve the problem. Duh.

This topic more or less covers both the types of WSOD. STICKY NOW!!!

[ This Message was edited by: holypanl on 2008-10-02 18:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: holypanl on 2008-10-02 18:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: holypanl on 2008-10-02 18:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: holypanl on 2008-10-02 18:43 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi