Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > Credit Crunch will it affect Phone Retailers?

Author Credit Crunch will it affect Phone Retailers?
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 14:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all. I know it may not affect some networks atm but the whole country is in problems financially. Just curious that with many chains of phonestores its bound to affect them. Do u work for a phone retailer if so what is ur daily income, how many sales do u actually make? As things get worse people ain't gunna want to buy them and concentrate on Electricity, Gas and food the 3 basic lifelines that are rising. Im curious to this it mite not happen but im seeing stores close under my feet working in retail myself Customers are feeling the pinch.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 16:14
The mobile industry seems to be withstanding the crunch so far. They're still forecasting growth for this year.
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 16:38
i think things will be ok for now as most people see their phone as essential
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 17:38
I think the type of industry it is they will normally always survive. Though i do think perhaps people might be cutting back on their bills a bit or putting off buying that expensive iphone for a while. Maybe the slow uptake on pre pay iphone is something to do with it who knows. Its expensive. Miss UK as long as your job with Orange is ok. I bet the run upto Christmas will be same as normal. Though i tell you which shop has the most returns after Christmas. Argos. You should see the returns isle on Boxing Day. Though with alot of smaller retailers yes some could be affected.

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2008-09-26 16:39 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 18:34
If the crunch remains and gets worse I think we'll see a few phoneshops close im talking like citys with heaps of the same store. Bono I dont work for Orange I work for "Save the Children" its more rewarding. The Orange manager of the interview I attended prefered a younger model lol to me.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 18:45
My god a younger model. So if your dumb pretty and can be easily programmed you get the job. Oh dear. Sorry i thought you got the job for Christmas. Never mind. Thats so stupid no wonder Orange are pants these days. Last time i was with them i asked for something in the shop got a blank look and they walked off. I bought a pre pay sim there once and asked if i could use the shops phone to activate it. The assistant said NO. Charming. Most of the time in their shops they ignore you not like Vodafone and O2. Anyway the credit crunch i noticed last night on the news has hit Ireland's housing market now. Where im from in Ballybrack the houses are just stupid expensive. Dublin has become one of the most expensive cities now. Everyone is being affected. We should be more like France and rent rather than buy thats what they mostly do over there.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 19:16
I over heard the manager say who was good a girl who was young, pretty and knew alot bout Orange more than likely got it. Btw they were impressed with my work, maybe they thought I was after there job because I opened my mouth saying I was gaining management skills, they were amazed at how many staff we have to lol tbh tho I didnt do any research into them and this was one of the questions they asked me I was honest saying I knew nothing about the company and that I was willing to learn lol the guy seem impressed but I reck the younger girl got it, maybe she was a dumb blonde as u say lol lots of places have shut down by me infact my local town is ruled by Charity shops, even our custnmers at S.T.C try and ask for discount these days, we make alot of cash ina day tho.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-26 23:16
Yeah alot of those backstreet shops of mobile retailers ya never heard of are normally run by asians. They dont always last long whatever the crisis. There was a point some years back when the mobile market became saturated but its still one of the top surviving markets out there. I think its one of those things we all need or cant live without our phones now. The networks make millions. Im still shocked how badly staff know little of what your talking about. I asked a guy in Phones4U once what the screen resolution pixels of a particular phones was. He said UH WHAT OH YEAH ITS A 3.2 MEGA PIXEL CAMERA. Oh dear. In Phones4U they always say HOW MUCH DO YOU TOP UP EVERY MONTH. I just laugh.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-27 00:25
Several of them Asian owned shops do well though infact 02 refered me to one when I messed my D900i up

with whats going on atm with the financial buisness which is gonna take a few years to sort out im sure the networks may have to close some of there branches cos they have enuff of them situated in every corner.

Ok so the phone market might be big but people are having difficulty paying bills and now having to pay more to eat.

whats better a phone or a sandwich? you understand my point I hope.
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-27 00:36
Yes i see your point. Whats crazy is Orange are planning to open 60 new store up and down to UK. And install over 500 new masts so it cant be all that bad for them. Its great that they open stores cos it creates more jobs but surely it cant be always financially wise for the networks. Also i see in some cities that there is always more than one store on the same street. Really stupid. Sometimes i visit Birmingham where i have couple of cousins and i went into The Bull Ring. Anyway i was shocked to see O2 had a store on ground level and level one right over each other. WHY. Carphone has 2 stores on New Street. WHY. I try not to visit Birmingham much it drives me insane though not quite sure what it is. I notice your from there.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-27 00:45
Im not originally from brum I just live here well actually West Midlands as we like to call it were further away from the city centre but I do visit there once a week well try to

Ur right it has way to many 02,Vodafone,T-Mobile shops 0range and 3 and Virgin have one shop but the others have about 3 to 4

tbh they only need 1 CPW have about 10 stores I think

now thats there prob if they have probs keeping up there rent and gaining customers
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-27 01:15
Yes Birmingham to me was depressing. I dont like it much. Im Irish but living in Bath which is a really nice small city. My fave city in the UK is Edinburgh its a great place. Though anyway i read somewhere about Curry's in the Bull Ring they pay nearly 1 million in rent per year. Ouch.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-27 03:29
I love Brum city for shopping,
I hate the Merryhill Centre have you visited that?

I live near there anyway
im a Scotch girl btw me............

Yummy Currys or Curryland Brum

I think Brum is tradional for that
I think it's prob cheaper to try make your own though cos they charge a fortune for one (Decent) I mean

but then they have to to make a living
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi