Joined: Apr 16, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: Toronto, Ontario
On 2008-09-07 03:17:01, razec wrote:
Better invest with S60. S40 has far more limitation than even A100 (limited .jar size, no multitasking, slow Java3D performance) even the latest S40 retains all the weakpoints of it's predecessor only incorporating the eye candy animated UI which doesn't look as good as A200's.
I'm not sure about j2ME heap size ... I'm sure this is changed in S40 6th Edition > but I've never used any S40 device, EVER.
Java API's supported in Nokia 6700; S40 6th Edition:
JSR 139 Connected, Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) 1.1
JSR 118 MIDP 2.1
JSR 248 Mobile Service Architecture Subset for CLDC
JSR 75 FileConnection and PIM API
JSR 82 Java™ APIs for Bluetooth 1.1
JSR 135 Mobile Media API 1.1
JSR 172 J2ME™ Web Services Specification (RPC package)
JSR 172 J2ME™ Web Services Specification (XML Parser package)
JSR 177 Security and Trust Services API for J2ME™ (SATSA-APDU package)
JSR 177 Security and Trust Services API for J2ME™ (SATSA-CRYPTO package)
JSR 179 Location API for J2ME™ 1.0
JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API for J2ME™ 1.1
JSR 205 Wireless Messaging API 2.0
JSR 211 Content Handler API
JSR 226 Scalable 2D Vector Graphics API
JSR 234 Advanced Multimedia Supplements 1.1 (audio3d)
JSR 234 Advanced Multimedia Supplements 1.1 (camera)
JSR 234 Advanced Multimedia Supplements 1.1 (music)
Found the max java size:
Maximum Heap Size 2 MB
Maximum JAR Size 1 MB
@diportivo you failed to mention teh Nokia 6700 wich is an S40 6th Edition device. It compares in features pretty well against C902. However it has a much more powerful browser: Webkit ... the SAME used in S60 devices supporting Flash Lite. I'm not sure if W995 or newer A200 devices support FlashLite in the browser and believe me it is NOT a limitation of Access NetFront Browser used by SE, but the limitation is done by SE. Also the Nokia 6700 has a version of Nokia Maps 2.0/3.0 Unsure which version but very similar to the Navteq used in S60 devices.
Should you need a smartphone at a decent price in candybar form and slim .. 5630XM is not a bad choice; however if you don't like the mix of colours you can consider E55/E52.
On 2009-08-07 12:37:00, Bonovox wrote:
I have a Nokia 6303 and the latest edition of s40 is very easy to use very fast and very stable. I like it though its not as pretty as A200 to look at i dont care though. Only thing i hate is you cant read a text whilst still in Opera browser like you can on A200.
Really? I'd like you to take a picture of your phone, clearly showing, that you can READ an received SMS on A200 device WHILE still in Opera Mini browser. IF you have to switch to the Messaging app or Opera Mini then you're not doing BOTH simultaneously on the same screen.
A few last toughts.
* You get the active display like smartphones: RIM, Symbia S60, WM, etc etc.
* Calendar layout looks a LOT better than SE's again 10yr old system: I'm not kidding here ... its been around since the Ericsson T18z and it needs an OVERHAUL! Everything else has been improved except the Calendar. Frack even NOTES has improved but not the Calendar?! This is the top 90% why I left SE in the first place; the other 10% is because I had to purchase a BlackBerry 8100 a few years back to learn BES Administration and train colleagues about end user realizations. I still love SE but I want more.
* so called and loosely thrown "multitasking" which I still don't fully agree is available on A200 as its not a smartphone, take a look on youtube at the following video:
Around 04:45min you see the cycling through the menu yet the launched applications are still present in the bottom half of the screen (beauty!). but I don't understand french so I'm unsure what is being said.
IF SE can make me a sleek, beautiful 320x240 (or preferably larger resolution) A200 device with 2.4" screen in portrait layout in a smoked silver or black metal case with black accents [red accents for the ladies] and the following I'm game:
* Improved Calendar with week/month views and a horizontal layout of my appointments.
* 5MP AF camera LED/Xenon (slider or not but with GLASS lens).
* 128/256MB RAM/Storage memory or higher in both.
* M2 + MicroSD compatible slot: do not force me to spend more on expandable memory for no real reason at all. OR include 8GB of user storage.
* MicroUSB charging ~ I don't need pop-port any longer and accessories can use this port if at the bottom or side for display or connectivity.
* 3.5mm headset Jack, no more excuses.
* North American & Euro Triband HSPA bands for wireless connectivity.
* WLAN just in case I want to use it.
* Flash light support in NetFront.
* No more limititing the NetFront browser in our SE phones ... we're all advanced enough to enjoy browsing and we're safe on provider networks.
* Give me this now ... you where close with teh C902 or C510 but not close enough.
I like this 6700. Will I buy it over $250CAN hell no. Will I do this for another SE phone without improvement of the Calendar; chances are slim.
Now what do we have that offers this sleek a design in SE's stable that also gives me 850/1900Mhz 3G/3.5G bands? W995 is close and I like it but slider reports state its weak after about 30days.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ...
K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded