Forum > Network operators > Europe > 3G iphone advert banned

123  Next
Author 3G iphone advert banned
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-03 01:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sources from BBC's Click have reported that the iphone 3G advert has been banned due to over hyped internet capabilities. It was said that cos it does not support Java or Flash its internet capabilities was seriously over hyped. Not sure if anyone knew this sorry i have no links. I just seen it briefly on Click BBC News 24.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-03 01:56
it is rather over hyped tbh cos it only has 3G compared to the last iPhone,
I don't get why it should cost more then the last one neither they've only added that everyday little thing which most handsets pocess anyway
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-03 02:50
I still cant believe you cant send pictures you cant send files via Bluetooth and you cant use your own ringtones. WHAT? So if i buy the iphone(not)i cant have my favourite group U2 blaring out when someone calls. I cant hear Bono singing Pride. Pap.
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2008-09-03 02:59

On 2008-09-03 02:50:00, Bonovox wrote:
I So if i buy the iphone(not)i cant have U2 blaring out when someone calls

surely thats a good thing
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-03 03:37
Cheeky git take it ya dont like U2 then
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-03 03:46
U2 are great

So iPhone much vaunted safari browser doesn't support flash and java? F@%k me dead, what the hell, even I got sucked in by their bullshit. I was told by a knowledgeable apple fan who I know that the iPhone safari was the full safari browser as found on a mac computer - so obviously it isn't then.

So in other words, apart from the funky zoom in with multi-touch, the browser is hardly any better than Opera Mini or netfront? What a joke...

Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-03 08:29
Until you've used it, you can't claim to say it's any worse than any other browser out there, or that any other browser is better.

It's unique and for Internet browsing alone is pretty much unrivaled.

However, that's not enough to make me want to buy one.

Basic ommisions like MMS, video recording, own ringtone use, data bluetooth (these are most things missing from Nokia's first smart phone, the 7650, something that was released over 5 years ago I think...)
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-09-03 10:10
In a interview last year, S. Jobs said that the lack of flash was due to the poor implementation of mobile flash available today in the market. He said if Adobe developed a version closer to the desktop flash it would be worth it, otherwise not. Iīve also read though that it could be possible that apple itīs pushing its own web technology with the iphone (if you visit apple.com with the iphone you can see that itīs got animations and stuff just as it was flash, but itīs not). Look for old posts on engadget.com or macrumors.com and you will find the interview there.
Mobile safari is considered the best mobile browser because the layout of the pages is the exact same as on a desktop browser, plus itīs the easiest browser to use (multi-touch and big high density screen).
I also wish it had flash and java but itīs still excelent and since fw2.0 youtube videos can be viewed (it starts up the youtube.app for that though).
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-04 03:05
I agree it's nice to use, but it's incorrect to claim it can view full websites if it can't view java or flash.

I can use opera mini or opera mobile browser to view full websites as they are displayed on the computer (and on opera mobile, you get tabs also).

Opera Mobile on a vga screen is pretty decent.

As to apple's proprietary animation engine, yes that's a good idea let's encourage every browser developer to bring out there own standard. Wouldn't that be great, we'd then need 20 different browsers just to view all possible animations. Already M$ are pushing silverlight. Atleast with flash it's a "kind" of standard.

The industry should get together and agree on one standard rather than each developer going in their own direction. Imagine if there were different versions of html, each only viewable in proprietary browsers? What a mess that would be.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-04 14:14
iPhone advert is on television I saw one for it lastnight :?
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-04 21:54
There's several different ads, they just pulled that variation of it, or they've changed the words and put it back out again.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-05 01:29
Ahh right

I emailed o2 online today regarding something,
within 20mins I get a text message telling me they sent me a reply thats new I thought when did that come about

btw looking at the add, it frankley doesnt sell the phone to me,
thankfully 02 now offer demo handsets instore, which is a way to grab peoples attention I think

works a treat for Jewellery if they don't go for it,
I normally test the item out for them and they buy lol

im a very good sales lady so my punters tell me
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-05 01:54
I agvree. If I go to a phone store to check out a phone and they won't let me play wit it I just walk out. You might as well buy a car without test driving it.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-09-05 02:18
Actually thats what i like about some select few O2 stores. Some have been revamped and have live phones to play with stuck to the walls its great. Though some every now and then seem to not work or the chargers are broke. Some CPW assistant once said to me NO YOU CANT PLAY WITH ANY OF OUR PHONES UNLESS YOUR GOING TO BUY IT. I walked out.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-06 10:02
Bonovox to phone store sales person: "Seeing as I want to spend an insane amount of money on something much smaller than a .44 magnum, you gotta ask yourself a question, do you wanna sell me a phone? Well, do ya punk?"

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi