12  Next
Author P800 First Impressions
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 05:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Pros and cons? Value for money?

I know a lot of this has been discussed even before its release.
But now that some of you have bought it, we want to know what you think about it. (cool features and functionalities, features that are lacking, quality of the camera, etc.)
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-06 06:36
I love it! Worth every cent! My other options were the Palm TT or the Sony Clie VX70. (The new Viewsonic PPC was also considered but was sold out, iPaq is out of the question cuz it's WAY TOO BIG...too bad, I love the way it looks)

Ok, 1st impressions...

A LOT of features... and I mean a LOT... settings for almost every single application on the phone. Plays media pretty well! (MP3s, WAV, MIDI, etc...) Small note for people who want really loud ringtones ... WAVs encoded at 11-22kHz, 8-bit, mono... and IMY ringtones are EXTREMELY LOUD! The normal T68i IMY rongtones sound really good, and are audible in almost every situation (except for rock concerts and shuttle launches! ) Inbox is excellent! I finally found out how to transfer saved SIM messages BACK to the phone! (A note to Mondo, if you're reading this... I haven't figured out your Outbox problem yet). MMS, Email work like a charm.

WAP, WWW surfing is such a breeze (don't expect IE6 performance people!) There's another browser that was mentioned here, I think it was from Reqwireless... it's ok...but the P800 browser works a lot better. The only advantage of the Reqwireless browser is that you can surf via Bluetooth.

For people who have Bluetooth on their PCs and use MSN, Yahoo, etc... get TIPICme!!!! Amazing piece of software!!! (More stable than the real MSN if you ask me!!! )

MIB-II and Stunt Car are just fun to look at, and demo to people... very difficult to play since you might bash your screen while shooting aliens!

Camera works really well, even on default settings. Low light performance is really good. A lot clearer than the MCA-20 or Nokia 7650.

Now, my gripes... the color! I'm sick of baby blue and white!!! hahahaha... seriously:

Browser button is pointless. I hope there's a way to remap this into something else. Jog-dial isn't as smooth as the ones on the Clies. Built-in pen feels weird, but still useful if you don't wanna bring around another stylus. Stereo jack isn't standard... you need a funny 4-banded 2.5mm jack. The phone comes with a stereo headset with a mic for handsfree use...but I was hoping I could plug the phone into some PC speakers...not that important, but it would've been nice.

No T9... hopefully SE will release new apps for this soon.

Main complain over-all? Speakerphone/Multi-media speaker is at the BACK of the phone, and not the front. Weird design, wish it was in front with proximity sensor instead (Just like on the R520m)

That's about it... will keep posting new things I find out! May you all get your P800s soon!!!
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-06 06:42
jplacson, how about real applications such as List Manager, Spreadsheet, Database (i know Oracle and Sybase is coming), AvantGo, Personal Finance Manager, Application development, etc.
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 06:46
Well i got mine today, but still using win 98 & i think thats a bit of a problem, unless there`s a way round it for now.
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 07:08
Sounds good. Keep the reveiws coming (good or bad).

sad1k981
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 07:41
ummm...

to -jplacson-

tanong ko lng kung saan ka nakabili?
tsaka magkano?

do u think na mas maganda picturse quality ng P800 compared to N7650?

thnks.........
Never be afraid of asking "dumb" questions.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
kapitan jackal
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 08:19
!@JPlacson,

WOW! (im still picking up my jaw)
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 08:36
@sad The phone's available in semicon for 39k

This post was posted from a T68i

sad1k981
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 09:19
ic..
do u have one?
what do u think of the picture quality?
do u think it have a better picture quality than the N7650?
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 10:15
@sad-

nope too expensive for me.
it's more expensive than the 7650 because of the PDA functionalities.
sad1k981
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 11:56
ic..

thnks...

ummmmm,,,,
meron bng radio yung p800??

thnx........
randyrivera
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 12:38
so sad, can't get p800 now, sobrang mahal.

guess i have to wait 1 1/2 years before i can get it for less than 20k
Omar
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 12:48
This is my input from an earlier post:
Good phone, no major bugs and it shouldn't have any considering the time it took to deliver this phone to the markets since it was first announced (almost 2 years), battery takes maybe a week to reach full capacity, don't be surprised if it hardly lasts 24 hours for the first few days. Communicam not as good as it should be on such a phone considering Sony's use of Carl Zeiss lenses on various digital still and mini DV cams. My wife's Nokia 7650 takes better quality pics.
Other niggles: not that many mp4s to download, yet, and the SE website doesn't have any goodies under the P800 "Goodies" link.
Where can I buy larger capacity Memory Stick Duo? My SE dealer doesn't know.
My biggest gripe, no fax capability. Means I have to lug around my Nokia Communicator 9210i and swap SIM cards whenever I'm gonna receive a fax or need to send one. For such a hyped phone as the P800 this is an unforgivable omission!
Don't think I'm putting this phone down, it's a very good phone that could've been great. I'm an Ericsson (now Sony Ericsson) customer and have been since 1994 and have only bought from Nokia once (Communicator) for the fax capability.
Nothing's perfect I suppose.
Overall I'd give the P800 7.5 / 8.

Carsten
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-06 21:33
Here are my experiences. Both the positive and the not positive

Positive.
Yes is has fantastic features. The camera, ability to read attachments, www access (?) etc. Fast wap. Faster than T68. Reading the white paper is great. It would be easier to enjoy all these features if many old SE virtues didn’t spoil the pleasure.

Not positive issues. Experienced with R1b on Danish TDC Mobil. Windows 2000 with SP3.

Upstart
Upstart. It takes very long time (nearly as long as 380) to prompt the "enter pin code" message.

Synchronizer.
The synchronization tool does not work yet. First I had to upgrade my Windows 98SE PC to windows 2000. A job in it self. Then the SW is loaded and set up. Dialup networking wizard" is not able to detect my phone. But the PC can only see the p800 as a phone. It won’t see it as a modem, which is needed in order to perform the GPRS setting of the phone via the PC. (Stupid that you have to change to modem manually). And I used this program because the setup of GPRS on the phone is (of course) done in a totally different way than the T39 and T68. First after adding the T68 Modem driver program (MobileModemSettingsDrivers_R3A_english.exe), the phone was able to “see” the P800 modem driver. Logic? No.

WAP freeze
The well known (for me) t39 and t68 wap freeze is repeated. Once again. And you have to sign off and on again from wap after some wapping. And after some on/offs you have to turn the whole phone on and off.

Synchronize contacts.
Unlike some other I am able to set op the program and perform a synchronization. The only limitation is that no (Zero) contacts actually are to be found in the phone (???)- But the PC program does a full and complete synchronization and says that everything is complete.

Contact transfer by IR from T68 to P800.
After a minute of data transfer (4 K send) the phone says, "IC receive - Time limit". And the 4 K can not be accessed on the phone. So no contacts received yet

Contact transfer by Bluetooth from T68 to P800.
The T68 cannot find p800. Even though they just have been paired. When touching the "mouse" on the T68 after the pairing the connection is lost. Instantly. And the p800 can easily send to the T68. Maybe an t68 problem ?

WAP
No (zero) pictures / logos / smileys are shown while wapping. And yes I have crossed “yes” to Pictures.

Ring tone. Volume.
Way too low. While sitting in a train I received 3 calls. I did not hear or feel (vibrator) any of them. (Standard ring tone).

Internet WWW
Anybody succeeded in reel internet (not wap) connection.

Interval for email.
Doesn’t work. The phone does NOT search for mail every 15 minutes as wanted.

Alarm
Alarm can not be performed when the phone off. It has to be in flight mode. Battery consuming ???
Timer and countdown not possible. You have to set an alarm. And some of us use the phone to time your cooking.

Copy /paste.
Marked a text while wapping. The P800 say copied. But it has nothing to paste when I try to paste the copied text.

Error massages.
A message like “error 259” is of no use to me.

Bad voice quality.
The problem stated by the Swedish magazine Mobil regarding poor voice quality is well known by my girlfriend. Being 200 meters from the sender in forest area, the call drops out, and I generally have to speak VERY LOUD. And I am not holding my little hand over the microphone.

Total freeze.
The latest experience is that the phone performs a total freeze. On starting up it plays the intro and shows the SE picture, and then nothing more happens. Not my “dear” machine is at the service center.

Conclusion
Being a patient man with experience in use and set up from R320, R380, T39 and T68m, I find my patience being worn out. (Again).
Keep your previous phone.
Until firmware R20Z.
Like usually.
Sic

jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-06 21:53
Quote:

On 2003-01-06 21:33, Carsten wrote:
Here are my experiences. Both the positive and the not positive

Synchronizer.
The synchronization tool does not work yet. First I had to upgrade my Windows 98SE PC to windows 2000. A job in it self....

-Sorry to hear that, I didn't have any problems syncing my data. WinXP Pro, Outlook XP, over Bluetooth...Auto syncs whenever I enter my room.
Quote:

WAP freeze
The well known (for me) t39 and t68 wap freeze is repeated. Once again. And you have to sign off and on again from wap after some wapping. And after some on/offs you have to turn the whole phone on and off.

-Once again, never had any problems surfing... GPRS signal is a bit unstable, need to disconnect/reconnect if it doesn't respond...but I only have to do this in the start...never had to restart the phone.
Quote:

Synchronize contacts.

Contact transfer by IR from T68 to P800.
After a minute of data transfer (4 K send) the phone says, "IC receive - Time limit". And the 4 K can not be accessed on the phone. So no contacts received yet

-Never tried the whole phonebook via IR.
Quote:

Contact transfer by Bluetooth from T68 to P800.
The T68 cannot find p800. Even though they just have been paired. When touching the "mouse" on the T68 after the pairing the connection is lost. Instantly. And the p800 can easily send to the T68. Maybe an t68 problem ?

T68 problem... my T68 had no problems sending my entire phonebook to the P800
Quote:

WAP
No (zero) pictures / logos / smileys are shown while wapping. And yes I have crossed “yes” to Pictures.

-Again... that's weird...I get full normal WWW and WAP pages, Pictures and all.
Quote:

Ring tone. Volume.
Way too low. While sitting in a train I received 3 calls. I did not hear or feel (vibrator) any of them. (Standard ring tone).

-Are you kidding?? It also would depend on your ringtone. My ring volume is set to half, and it's still loud enough that I can hear it through the pouch, in my pants pocket, while in a crowd!!!
Quote:

Internet WWW
Anybody succeeded in reel internet (not wap) connection.

- Yup...surf WEB and WAP all the time. Built in browser is excellent (Opera)
Quote:

Interval for email.
Doesn’t work. The phone does NOT search for mail every 15 minutes as wanted.

-Haven't tried the interval function...but try to set a preferred GPRS account, don't just select "Preferred"
Quote:

Alarm
Alarm can not be performed when the phone off. It has to be in flight mode. Battery consuming ???
Timer and countdown not possible. You have to set an alarm. And some of us use the phone to time your cooking.

-Well, I can't say I ever used my phone for cooking...
Quote:

Bad voice quality.
The problem stated by the Swedish magazine Mobil regarding poor voice quality is well known by my girlfriend. Being 200 meters from the sender in forest area, the call drops out, and I generally have to speak VERY LOUD. And I am not holding my little hand over the microphone.

-I still don't get why people shout into GSM phones... these aren't the old analog ones where the louder the noise, the better it comes through... it's digital. It's either it gets through, or it doesn't. It also doesn't matter how far you are from the person you're calling...it matters how far you are from the base station, and how good your provider is.
Quote:

Total freeze.
The latest experience is that the phone performs a total freeze. On starting up it plays the intro and shows the SE picture, and then nothing more happens. Not my “dear” machine is at the service center.

-Mine hasn't done that so far.
Quote:

Conclusion
Being a patient man with experience in use and set up from R320, R380, T39 and T68m, I find my patience being worn out. (Again).
Keep your previous phone.
Until firmware R20Z.
Like usually.
Sic

Well, sounds like a lot of SW glitches in your unit... I hope they'll be fixed soon!!! Good luck!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi