123  Next
Author Nokia E71 review by Dogmann
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-02 22:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

So it's been just 24 hours now with the E71 and here is how i have found it and what i think of it so far.

As i mentioned before pictures really just don't do it any justice at all it really need to held in your hands to appreciate just how slim and light and tactile it is. It really is the best built device i have seen in along time if not ever as virtually all of it is metal only a small area at the top and bottom where the antenna's are and along the sides where the control or access buttons are plastic. Even then it not a cheap plastic but even this has a great feel and exudes quality the screen is very bright and clear and the keyboard although small is one of the best i have ever used. Now although the keys look small they are just incredibly tactile and easy to use surprisingly so i may add as coming from an E90 on first look i thought they where going to be problem, sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

On the right hand side of the E71 are just 3 buttons volume up and down and the voice command key on the left hand side yo will find the Micro USB and Memory card slots both with a flexible rubber door these both sit nice and flush to the device with only a slight raise on the ends to make opening them easy. The top half of the E71 has the beautiful screen which although being smaller then the E61 is still very good as it is clear and bright. Below the screen you have anew arrangement of buttons, left a and right soft keys that can be configured fora large variety of apps depending on what the user wants there. Below this you have the Home Key and Calender keys, the Home key serves two purposes one is to take to the Home screen form where ever you may be the other function is that if you are already on the Home screen it opens up the Menu with all your folders. then you have the D-pad but not just any D-Pad it really is the best and most tactile D-Pad i have used words can't do justice to just how good it is not o mention just all the functions it offers to but more of that later. To the right of the D-pad you have the Phone book key and the Message key that takes you to your primary E-Mail and with one click back the Messages app in full.

Here are some pictures showing what all the above apps look like on the E71 the first picture shows the E71 and the Keys below the screen.

Next we have the Calender with some of the views available of particular note is the split screen month and day view as first seen in the E90. Followed by the Day View and the Appointment highlighted when the cursor is over it.

Now you have the view you are taken to with the Message button followed by the full view shown by hitting the back button whilst in your preferred E-Mail folder.

Now we will go deeper into just what the E71 offers the first thing i should point out is that a cold start takes just 27 seconds the same time as the E90. The amount of customisations available for the user to tweak should even satisfy serious Power users. As although the Active standby apps has been reduced to 5 really with the ability to switch modes it means you have ten apps in this bar and the two soft keys can have two apps assigned to them by the user one with a normal press and a second app that opens with a long press. Even the 4 keys for Home Calender, Phonebook and Mail have the long or short press function which by my accounting makes 17 shortcuts just on the Home Screen. I have not fully utilised the Switch mode and am really just using it as an extension of the first screen but the user can decide exactly how he wants this to be, as Nokia are suggesting you could use for Work and one for leisure but as always each user can decide how he wants to set this up for his/her personal preferences.

Here are some pictures of the two standby Home screen reached by using the Switch Mode.

Next we will see what the Home key from the Home screen does which is opening up the Menu of Folders also we can see just how many apps come pre-installed for the user and what we have sitting in the Office and Multimedia folders to.

Ram really isn't a problem and the E71 is fast and stable here is a picture of the free Ram with some apps open and includes Seven always on Push E-Mail which is quite Ram intensive.

I haven't tried the Music player yet as don't have a head phone adapter but sound through the speakers is excellent as have watched a program through the BBC iPlayer that works perfectly and in great quality. As of now i am having trouble converting my Video's to play as although i can get sound i have been unable to get sound and video in H.264 but wil continue to try and see what results i can achieve.

I have made and received some calls and both ringtone and voice is loud and clear give me some more time as i explore all the E71 can do and i will report further my findings but so far i am very impressed with the performance of the E71. If it will replace my E90 or not I'm not sure yet but i definitely like it and if i decide i can sacrifice my large screen and great Multimedia for the connivence of a smaller lighter device i wouldn't hesitate getting a E71.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-07-04 02:10 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-02 22:09
Nice one, man. This and the E90 are the only E-series phones by Nokia I like. Especially the white E71.
Yakkaimono
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2008-07-02 22:29
This phone looks really great the only thing that keeps me from getting it is the small screen.
Anyway how is the battery life of the E71?
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 04:23
Hmm...was about to order an E51 as a slim alternative when I'm not wanting to take the E90 but now I'm not so sure...

John
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 09:41
Nice review.
reyaan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 10:46
well .......... i was kinda underestimating this phone

but after ur short review i really reconsidering it ... waiting for more details .... i wish u cud do the same this with Iphone 3g n XPERIA

thx anyways
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 10:51
Nice one Dogmann! I'm still trying to get used to its looks. I'd really like to see you try this after the huge screen of your E90, I bet you'll go back to the E90 in no time.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 12:33
Nice review there. The screen to me doesn't look that small, does it?
One Day, Men Will Look Back And Say I Gave Birth To The 20th Century.
You have to have a piss in the sea, its the law.
The A-Z of Trusted Traders
[img]http://a-zott.com/images/A-Z
gpanda
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 13:22
Hi Dogmann,

Really nice 1st hand report, surely it will make me to decide for E71 as my next handset, hopefully I will get mine by 21st July
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 13:32

On 2008-07-03 12:33:33, pmerryman wrote:
Nice review there. The screen to me doesn't look that small, does it?

I meant the inside screen, when the E90 is opened.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 13:50
Ok. Thats cleared that up then, as i thought the screen size looked great.
One Day, Men Will Look Back And Say I Gave Birth To The 20th Century.
You have to have a piss in the sea, its the law.
The A-Z of Trusted Traders
[img]http://a-zott.com/images/A-Z
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 14:23
Hi all,

As i have said initially when this was announced the screen size and Keyboard where really what worried me about this device. The keyboard although it is really small is just about if not the best i have used on any device and that really surprised me.

It is just so easy and fast to type with i have not had one mistype on it in 48 hours it's just so tactile. The next thing is the screen and whilst obviously it's much smaller than the E90 it really is very bright and clear. I always have brightness turned to Max and Font size to large and it is really easy to read and doesn't require as much scrolling as you would think.

I have even watched a program via the BBC iPlayer on it and the quality was great, using the Web does require more scrolling than my E90 but then what doesn't.

Those were just my first impressions and i really need to use it for a few days more before reporting on all the other great features it has.

But already i have decided i am no longer interested in the BB Bold or Thunder and will definitely be getting a E71 on my upgrade in a couple of months. The question is will i keep my E90 with it or sell the E90 and take the hit on Multimedia.

I really can't say enough the pictures just don't do it justice you need to have one in your hand to appreciate just how slim and sleek it is. It exudes quality and has the best build quality of any device i have used really a great job done by Nokia on this one.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-07-03 13:23 ]
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 14:42
I should have said earlier, thanks for the review!

You've got a window in messaging which shows Yahoo and Hotmail, can the E71 connect directly to these systems and if so can it be set to automatically poll them or are they simply apps to go to the mail?

Play have the E71 black at 300 which is tempting, I really like the look of the E51 which is about 190 and would slip better into a pocket but no qwerty.

John
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 17:08
Hi John,

Although the E71 comes with both Windows Live and YahooGo3 that's not what i am using i am using Seven which sets it up like that in the messages app.

Seven is my preferred Push E-Mail service especially as so far it hasn't cost me a penny the free Beta has been running for ages. But when it does end i believe it is about £65 per year and i will be happy to pay that. Which i think is cheaper than using BIS on a BB. As i already get 500mb of Data included in my price plan from VodaFone which covers my Web and Mail use when away from WiFi.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-07-03 16:08 ]
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-03 17:11
Thanks for the Review

Can u review the multimedia features ( audio, Video, Camera, music)

thanks
K700- W800- [W810]- W200-[ P990]=[Current].

One expert at esato that never lets u down
technical-expert.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi