Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > Minimum time to port out and back to same network?

12  Next
Author Minimum time to port out and back to same network?
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-06-27 22:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey folks, I'm with Vodafone and at the end of a contract which Vodafone have little interest in continuing as normal - I'm thinking of porting out to o2 to try out their service on their sim only tariff, is there a time limit to how long I have to take before I can port back to Vodafone if I decide that O2 is not for me? I'm guessing that the networks don't like people doing this so may have measures in place to prevent it such as needing maybe three months or more before being able to port back.

Any thoughts appreciated,
John
JiSm
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-27 23:00
Nope. 30 days notice applies to porting too. Its your right to port your number. You are only bound by your contract agreement - 30 days notice. Hope that helps!
"Back in the land of the long white cloud!"
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-06-27 23:55

On 2008-06-27 23:00:43, JiSm wrote:
Nope. 30 days notice applies to porting too. Its your right to port your number. You are only bound by your contract agreement - 30 days notice. Hope that helps!

Does that mean I can port to O2 sim-free, phone up straight away to give the 30 days notice and request my PAC then at the end of the 30 days port back to Vodafone as a new customer?

Thanks,
John
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-28 11:02
Seems a bit strange to do that but guess you can try and ask. Why would you wish to do that.
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-06-28 13:47
Nothing strange about it, I want to keep my number but get a reasonable deal. If I port out and port back I keep my number but also join the network as a new customer and therefore have the pick of the deals.

John
JiSm
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-28 22:26
Vodafone should be giving you a better deal as an existing customer? If they dont then why the hell would you port back to them? They will be laughing at you.
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-06-28 22:58

On 2008-06-28 22:26:35, JiSm wrote:
Vodafone should be giving you a better deal as an existing customer? If they dont then why the hell would you port back to them? They will be laughing at you.

While they don't offer good upgrade deals (at least not for me), they do offer good deals to new customers - thus the only way to get a good deal and keep the same number is to port out and port back again thus getting a new customer deal with my existing number.

Up here the choice is really only O2 and Vodafone due to coverage issues and between them Vodafone have the better network.

John

[ This Message was edited by: johnmcl7 on 2008-06-28 22:00 ]
nicch
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-28 23:43
In the past many networks didn't give existing customers the same deals as new customers, though I think that's changed. I know T-mobile & O2 both do give you at least the same deal. If you are PAYG O2 will give you the same deal as a new cust, T-mobile officially say they charge you RRP of a phone but if you phone or go instore they offer the same deal as a new cist. Depending on your spending history, they may give better deals too.

As to the minimum, surely this would be via a PAYG option? Port to another network's PAYG, they say it can take 4-7 days, once activated, you phone up for a PAC and transfer back. Depending on how much usage you expect to use the phone in the meantime, you may get away with no top ups or the minimum.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-28 23:57
If only O2 and Voda are any good in your area, go to O2, simply for the fact that we treat all customers, new and old, the same and give them the same deals. You want what new customers are getting, you can have it, that's O2's policy

Seems both daft and disgusting that Voda are willing to give new customers everything but show their existing customers the door, just doesn't make any sense.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
JiSm
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-29 00:28
Or come to Orange! The future is bright ya know. I can get the mean deal... seeing as I work there... haha
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-29 00:35
Ah ha, I have a rival! Fight to the death!

Na, Orange is pretty good too, I've been with all the major networks apart from Vodafone (enough said lol) and their all pretty good these days.
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 01:51

On 2008-06-29 00:28:02, JiSm wrote:
Or come to Orange! The future is bright ya know. I can get the mean deal... seeing as I work there... haha

Orange isn't up an option up here, I used to keep an Orange contract running when I was down in Edinburgh for off peak crossnet calls but it wasn't much use up here.

My thinking behind O2 sim-free is that with the 25 pound package (600 minutes, 1000 texts and an unlimited web bolt-on) I can properly try out the service - it's been a couple of years since I had an O2 contract which I gave up because O2 wanted a 140 pound premium for the upgrade (I wasn't spending that much on the contract) and the reception wasn't that great.

My concern is that if I port away and find in a couple of months I'd rather be on Vodafone I'll have difficulty porting the number back.

John
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-29 10:54
If you leave it a couple of months, you shouldnt have any trouble getting back onto Voda if you so choose to.
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 12:31
I think you'll find vodafone offer there existing customers more than new customers.

Example:

I had a customer on the old £45 Mobile BB tariff with 1GB allowance on 18 months, who had lost his data card and was due to be recommitted.

So the system allowed me to:

1: Reduce his tariff to £15pm with 3GB allowance on 12 months (saving£30pm)
2: Give him the new 7.2 usb modem FOC
3: Give him a £100 bill credit (Free broadband for just over 6 months)
4: A £30 accessories discount off any in store.

What a new customer gets:

1: £15pm for 12 months with 3GB allowance.
2: 7.2 modem costs = £119
3: No bill credit
4: No accessories discount.

So my advice would be to go to your local store and see what frontier (the system) will allow the store do for you.
OBEY GAINT
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 14:15
I've been to the store (three times now), I've e-mailed them online and I've phoned them - the best deal they can do is weaker than the deals they offer new customers. Apparently the problem is I don't spend much on the account as the upgrade value is based on my previous six month spending - I have a 40 pound per month tariff which means I don't spend a penny over that.

John
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi