Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > UK Phone branding on PAYG phones.

Author UK Phone branding on PAYG phones.
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2008-06-15 22:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Is there a list somewhere with those carriers that brand there phones, and how they brand it. I would like to buy a pay as you phone without the branding, I know vodafone, t-mobile and virgin and others do not only brand the software but also put labels on the phone, some can't even be removed. Tesco for example does not brand anything on the phone, which is really like, my last few phones where all bought from Tesco. I guess I would like to know which other carriers do not brand the phone and the software. Maybe time to create a list if there is none

[ This Message was edited by: blerk on 2008-06-15 22:32 ]
Lunion
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-15 22:11
o2 don't brand their phones, maybe a few wallpapers and start up screens, but they can be easily changed. There is no external branding either
If you live in a glass house, don't be chuckin stuff about.
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 00:53
I've been told in the CPW that they sell all their phones including PAYG phones with no locks and branding, is this true?
marty mcfly
Z770 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 01:20
This is indeed very true. My girlfriend wanted a Samsung U600 (I know, I know lol) in silver. I could only find it in CPW on Voda. As she's on T-Mobile at first I was annoyed but the guy said all PAYG phones are unlocked. Sure enough he put an Orange Sim in and it worked! There is no exterior branding or Voda menus. I guess it's easier and quicker to just stock all the phones sim-free and supply whatever sim card the deal is for with it, rather than having to wait for branded handsets to come in from the networks.

This message was posted from a K810i

[ This Message was edited by: marty mcfly on 2008-06-22 00:24 ]
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 01:43
That is just great, if they can give me a nice price I will be buying my c702 from there in a bit and maybe a k800i to fill the gap until I can afford the c702
marty mcfly
Z770 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 01:47
Glad I could help. Happy hunting!

This message was posted from a K810i
nicch
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 00:46
Tesco use the O2 network, both don't physically brand their phones. PAYG direct from the networks tend to be locked, and often software branded. Phones may be unlocked and debranded, but this can be dependent on which model you choose. Pay monthly phones are treated differently, with some locking, and other not. Vodafone and O2 tend to leave phones unlocked, but they are still software branded.

Since CPW offer various networks they, I believe, don't use handsets sourced from the networks, so they are usually unlocked and unbranded. However I only know people who've bought pay-monthly phones from CPW, so not sure if the same is true for PAYG.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi