Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple unveils the 3G iPhone

Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 01:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I am sitting on the fence a bit over this announcement. For me this is like almost every announcement that apple makes. Every year they bring out an update, and its not very often that these updates hold anything substantial. For example, the iPod. Since the colour iPod came out, they released a new one every year and the only real upgrades were slightly different shells or a little more memory. Only last year did they really upgrade the software and that was because it was sorely needed - The old software was beginning to look just that: Old. Even then it was mostly just a cosmetic upgrade. The same goes for the iPod Nano too.

This upgrade to the iPhone is similar. It really hasn't added much to the look of the phone - not many people could spot the differences over the two generations' appearances. 3G has been added which is great (and I'm glad they didn't put a video call camera on it. A lot of people seem to think thats what 3G means), and the same for GPS, but to be honest I think they could have done more. There were a lot more complaints about the original that could have been fixed, but this seems to only be the usual Apple light upgrade. People wanted more. People expected more. And thats the reason why I think many feel a bit let down.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 01:33
Apple release the 3G iPhone.........

And it's still crap IMO, no front facing cam, STILL no MMS (For God's sake Apple, no MMS, geeees a 20 quid pay as you go has it.....) Bigger, STILL no user replacable battery. Nice to AGPS but if it's a premium 3G phone IMO it MUST have a front facing cam regardless if your gonna use it or not. It will no doubt cost £100 in the UK on that 18 month contract and will be the only phone lacking in the simplest things.

Still only good for the amazing interface. Watch Nokia, HTC, SE smell blood......

Just to add, how are people gonna sell their used iPhone ones when they will only work on O2 contracts without hacking them?

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-10 00:39 ]
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 01:49
This is the major disadvantage: The videocall feature.

This feature isn't ready in the U.S. but that doesn't mean the rest of the world falls for the same shitt@#$ design.

Most (I think 100%) of Europe has videocall feature.
Here in Dominican republic we do have videocall.
I dont care the greedy americans doesn't have or aren't allowed to have it by some greedy corporation!

Apple should compare which features are necessary instead of been victim of their own success (by the 1st iphone)
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
smilerthe cheshirecat
Z600
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 01:50
iPhone on o2 payandgo....

https://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:00
I can't believe people are complaining about the video call feature. Is it just because every single fake had it and the real thing doesn't? The truth is that the majority of mobile phone users, despite having the feature on their phone, don't even use it! I know a few people that do, but there's no point in putting it on a device for the very few that will use it. Many manufacturers such as Sony Ericsson have been excluding the feature from recent 3G phones for this reason. I think Apple were right not to have it.
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:05
Everyone is crying for MMS and Video Calling, but honestly MMS is such a dying format, why pay £0.50p to send one or whatever price it is these days, for a low quality res picture when everyone is pushing towards email on the move. And even when you do have MMS how many times a month do you use it. I personally dont even bother, its one of those that if you dont have email on your phone check the picture when you get home.

Video calling well thats worse, overpriced and blocky and half the people I knew never wanted to be seen on camera, Japan has had the tech for ages and is rarely used if I can be honest. Not a dying format but hardly something I will miss.

Will I get one, doubt it.. I am on pre-order for the blackberry bold.

P.s.s For those that bought .mac address does that mean your email address will change to @mobileme thats cr*p I prefered the @mac.com
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:11
@themarques: Thank you. Someone else who sees it logically.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:23
Sounds like Steve's famous 'Reality Field' is hitting hard LOL.

What about this then, no A2DP support and no Video recording feature. Are you going to say, nah no one uses those anyway. Also has no flash support.

EDIT:
I am not against Apple by the way, the iPhone has the best interface bar none hands down. Like there computers which is why i got a Mac Book Pro last year. It has had some niggles but the OS makes up for it sooo much. Snow Leopard looks VERY interesting.

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-10 01:28 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:35
@apolla

I have to be honest with you The marques and others are quite right Video calling is used by so few people it's officially considered a flop.

As for A2DP i have used both an SE DS970 and Nokia BH-500 and whilst no wires is nice the sound is no where as good as using a wired solution. So until A2DP is as good as the wired solution there really is no reason to use it especially when it comes to listening to Muisc.

@all

I have just noticed that both the Apple site and 02 both state you will only be able to get your iPhone from an 02 or CPW or online. So i am pretty convinced this means the 3G iPhone will be sold with a contract only.

Which i also think is the only way you will be able to use many of the newly announced services with a activated via those sources iPhone.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-10 01:38 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:40

On 2008-06-10 02:23:07, apolloa wrote:
Sounds like Steve's famous 'Reality Field' is hitting hard LOL.

What about this then, no A2DP support and no Video recording feature. Are you going to say, nah no one uses those anyway. Also has no flash support.

No I agree with you there. Video recording definitely should be there. But I agree with Dogmann that A2DP would be nice, but is unnecessary.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:45
Just to end the '3g iphone is cheap nonsense'

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/wp-mobile.php?p=1177

(btw, i copied and pasted this link from opera to opera mini on my p1, something you could not do on the jesus phone)
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:48
A US$30 discount for MobileMe.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-[....]TIzMzY&node=campaigns/mobileme
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 02:49
I'll wait for a iPhone nano I can have on any network. Until I can have it on the network I want without having to hack it I'll leave it alone. I just see it as a brilliant flawed device at the mo. Keep trying Apple.
clauf
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 03:13

On 2008-06-09 23:23:32, alexlt wrote:

I'm confused too, and this imgae confuses me even more ...

Not 100% sure: but it has something to do with Safari vs. other web browsers. Safari is pretty fast and from what I heard, it's faster on SDK 2.0.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 03:38
Hi caluf

The only way that could work is if it is an updated N95 and even then i would be surprised. It defiantly doesn't look like full speed HSDPA on the iPhone and read some where it may be just 1.8mbps HSDPA. What ever Steve wants to say about his browser it is better on my E90 than the iPhone as it remembers the size i want the page always to open in. Unlike the iPhone that makes you change for each frigging page you open.

More and more reports are all saying the 3G has to be activated at point of sale which in the UK will be 02 and CPW no more iPhone from an Apple store.

The more i read the more i am beginning to believe to use MobileMail or in fact the 3G iPhone it will have to bought and activated through an official channel. It looks to me that Apple reduced the price to entice people to buy them with contract as that will be the only way for the 3G version to be bought or work.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-10 13:05 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic