Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple unveils the 3G iPhone

Previous  123 ... 127 128129130  Next
Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
RyaN
T39 black
Joined: Jun 24, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: By the hill, Sussex
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 11:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Why do you care though? You're unjailbroken.

My, so you call it, 'trusting' attitude is because I know what I'm doing when it comes to the iPhone's modified FW. There is such a thing called a community out there and if people aren't prepared to learn about what they're doing to their devices then they deserve to have something happen to theirs tbh.
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
carkitter
V640 Black
Joined: Apr 29, 2005
Posts: > 500
From: Auckland, NZ
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 12:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-06 23:23:58, NoKia wrote:
Lol so makes u guys think that the 'jailbreaking community' are not aware of these issues before u kindly brought it to our attention? It's just like owning a pc, if u click the wrong link or install the wrong software ur can compromise it, or would u suggest we all give up pcs bcus ppl write viruses? It's all about common sense


Not that we brought it to your attention but that you should have brought it to ours.
Everything I've read online (until now) has given me the impression that there isg no point in virus' for the iPhone and even the article I referenced said that the iPhone is even more secure than a mac - yet this level of 'percieved immunity' doesn't extend to jailbreaking and jailbreakers have known all along?...
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-07-07 11:28 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Barachus
W800
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 240
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 12:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-07 12:26:02, carkitter wrote:

On 2009-07-06 23:23:58, NoKia wrote:
Lol so makes u guys think that the 'jailbreaking community' are not aware of these issues before u kindly brought it to our attention? It's just like owning a pc, if u click the wrong link or install the wrong software ur can compromise it, or would u suggest we all give up pcs bcus ppl write viruses? It's all about common sense


Not that we brought it to your attention but that you should have brought it to ours.
Everything I've read online (until now) has given me the impression that there isg no point in virus' for the iPhone and even the article I referenced said that the iPhone is even more secure than a mac - yet this level of 'percieved immunity' doesn't extend to jailbreaking and jailbreakers have known all along?...
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-07-07 11:28 ]


but there is no virus, apart from the malicious premium rate dialling virus that only exists in the imagination of boinng, in the real world there hasnt been an incidence of an iphone virus, yes jailbreaking may remove some protection(that itself is theoretical) so potentially a virus can be written, same way potentially any random occurence can exist for any hypothetical situation, but the fact is when u buy a pc noone has to tell you that u have be careful of what u install, treat your phone the same way, its like buying a car and complaining that noone told you that its dangerous to pour water in the petrol tank!
do you really need a press release to inform you of the dangers of hacking something? isnt it just commonsense to assume it?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
Joined: Dec 17, 2002
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 13:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If everyone knows how to be careful with their PCs then why are there so many viruses and compromised PCs out there? And that's with antivirus widely available for free, and preinstalled on most new PCs. There's no such protection on the iPhone, jailbroken or not, so how can they be compared?

Even with the lowly amount of security provided by Microsoft, if a piece of PC software removed or bypassed (as a by-product) 80% of the security features in Windows, you'd probably want somebody to tell you, right?

I think the reaction to all this is pretty interesting.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-07-07 12:22 ]
Barachus
W800
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 240
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 13:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok, if u need it spelt out, Jailbreaking is dangerous do it at ur own risk
I hope this satisfies ur concerns
RyaN
T39 black
Joined: Jun 24, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: By the hill, Sussex
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 14:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-07 13:00:04, Boinng wrote:
If everyone knows how to be careful with their PCs then why are there so many viruses and compromised PCs out there? And that's with antivirus widely available for free, and preinstalled on most new PCs. There's no such protection on the iPhone, jailbroken or not, so how can they be compared?

Even with the lowly amount of security provided by Microsoft, if a piece of PC software removed or bypassed (as a by-product) 80% of the security features in Windows, you'd probably want somebody to tell you, right?

I think the reaction to all this is pretty interesting.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-07-07 12:22 ]



The reason viruses are written for Windows is because the majority of people/businesses have PC's therefore a wider audience. Not as many people own Macs therefore no point wasting time writing viruses for them

Same goes for iPhone... even more so these days, less and less people are jailbreaking therefore what is the point in writing a virus for a user base of let's say 5% (that's a guess btw)

I think your reaction to this is pretty interesting. Or should I say predictable.
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
masseur
P910
Joined: Jan 03, 2003
Posts: > 500
From: Sydney, London
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 14:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
enough already guys...

talk about flogging a dead horse!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
Joined: Dec 17, 2002
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 14:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-07 14:11:14, RyaN wrote:
The reason viruses are written for Windows is because the majority of people/businesses have PC's therefore a wider audience. Not as many people own Macs therefore no point wasting time writing viruses for them


This isn't a PC vs Mac argument - in this context the iPhone is the PC of the smartphone world, since it's so popular, mainstream, and its users actually install a lot of apps - more so than most of the competition. If you were going to target a smartphone OS with a virus, which would you choose?

Same goes for iPhone... even more so these days, less and less people are jailbreaking therefore what is the point in writing a virus for a user base of let's say 5% (that's a guess btw)


A guess - but even if you're right, there must be at least 15m iPhones out there now and that's a very conservative guess itself - that means 750,000 potential targets. Insignificant? If you got 5p for each of their contact files, that's 37,500 in the bank. Still far fetched?

Edit - ok Masseur, that's my last neigh on the subject..
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-07-07 13:24 ]
RyaN
T39 black
Joined: Jun 24, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: By the hill, Sussex
PM
Posted: 2009-07-07 14:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@masseur Agreed. Can't see the point in this... going nowhere - fast

On a different, more relevant note.

A new app was released yesterday called 'Prowl' - which pushes Growl notifications from your MAC to your iPhone

''Prowl is a Growl client for the iPhone. Notifications from your Mac can be sent to your iPhone over push, with a full range of customization and grace you expect.''

Source: http://prowl.weks.net/

This definitely looks like one of the best uses of push besides IM since the feature was released. I hoping that this is able to be integrated with Growl for Windows
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
carkitter
V640 Black
Joined: Apr 29, 2005
Posts: > 500
From: Auckland, NZ
PM
Posted: 2009-07-08 01:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-07 12:36:59, NoKia wrote:
but there is no virus,...


Software Testing 101: You can never say there are no defects, just that you haven't found one yet. Once you find one, you can say with certainty that this is not a defect-free environment.


On 2009-07-07 12:36:59, NoKia wrote:
...its like buying a car and complaining that noone told you that its dangerous to pour water in the petrol tank!
do you really need a press release to inform you of the dangers of hacking something? isnt it just commonsense to assume it?


No, it's like me telling you I can make your car faster without impacting the reliability of the engine.
Then you drop off your car to me, I give it back later and it goes faster!
Then someone tells you months later that my modification consists of removing the Anti-Lock Braking System, Traction Control, 10 Airbags, all the associatiated wiring and ECU's for a weight saving of 100kgs.
Just don't have an accident, that's all...

As my iPhone is not jailbroken, I'm more interested in the SMS vulnerability which I think is quite embarressing for Apple and this is a developing story, since the guy Miller is going to do a presentation at the end of the month detailing the vulnerability in all it's glory. I hope Apple have a countermeasure out by then. Read more about it on Ars Technica
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
RyaN
T39 black
Joined: Jun 24, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: By the hill, Sussex
PM
Posted: 2009-07-08 17:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-07 14:28:01, RyaN wrote:

A new app was released yesterday called 'Prowl' - which pushes Growl notifications from your MAC to your iPhone

''Prowl is a Growl client for the iPhone. Notifications from your Mac can be sent to your iPhone over push, with a full range of customization and grace you expect.''

Source: http://prowl.weks.net/

This definitely looks like one of the best uses of push besides IM since the feature was released. I hoping that this is able to be integrated with Growl for Windows



Further to this, if anyone is interested in this here...

Growlforwindows aka GfW now supports the Prowl application from the App Store

However, app support for GfW is minimal...there is the ability to write your own apps with the source codes provided on the GfW website, if you are competent with programming of course.

If anyone is unsure of what Prowl does, it displays Push notifications on your iPhone via Growl servers from your Mac/PC... so if you pop away from your PC for a while then this could be a very handy tool for not missing that all important notification.

The PC version of Growl currently has apps like Twitulater (Twitter client) Firefox, System Management, GMail (so basically you can get GMail pushed to your iPhone - schweeeet) and other apps like iTunes and a couple more..

You can also ping your iPhone with text from the Prowl website and it'll display a PUSH notification on the iPhone.
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
Barachus
W800
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 240
PM
Posted: 2009-07-09 08:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-08 01:57:34, carkitter wrote:

Software Testing 101: You can never say there are no defects, just that you haven't found one yet. Once you find one, you can say with certainty that this is not a defect-free environment.



hilarious!, a virus is not a bug or a defect, its a purposely created external program, software testing your own code does not cover code that u didnt even create
i wont even comment on that completely over the top car analogy

anyways lets just end this, the arguments are just getting more circular and ridiculous
you be happy with ur non-jailbroken phone and leave me to be happy with mine, i dont see why u guys are so worked up about a process u dont even want
[ This Message was edited by: NoKia on 2009-07-09 07:50 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
Joined: Apr 29, 2005
Posts: > 500
From: Auckland, NZ
PM
Posted: 2009-07-09 13:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-07-09 08:49:49, NoKia wrote:

On 2009-07-08 01:57:34, carkitter wrote:

Software Testing 101: You can never say there are no defects, just that you haven't found one yet. Once you find one, you can say with certainty that this is not a defect-free environment.



hilarious!, a virus is not a bug or a defect, its a purposely created external program, software testing your own code does not cover code that u didnt even create
i wont even comment on that completely over the top car analogy

anyways lets just end this, the arguments are just getting more circular and ridiculous
you be happy with ur non-jailbroken phone and leave me to be happy with mine, i dont see why u guys are so worked up about a process u dont even want
[ This Message was edited by: NoKia on 2009-07-09 07:50 ]


I thought you'd catch the principle that you can't rule something out (like a virus) when you can't feasibly check the entire internet for the presence of it, you can only say with certainly it's there once you find it. This principle is in the first chapter of the Software Testing book I'm reading ATM and is borrowed from general scientific testing.

As a qualified mechanic I feel confident to make car analogies.

Up until firmware 3.0, jailbreaking was always an option for me and the question was 'Am I missing out on something important?' but no longer.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
RyaN
T39 black
Joined: Jun 24, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: By the hill, Sussex
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 14:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Off to Lakeside tomorrow to swap over my iPhone - finally!! Booked in for 15:45, damn Bluewater store had zero availability til 18:00. But hopefully, fingers crossed, I should have a spanking new iPhone 3G in my hands tomo
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
RyaN
T39 black
Joined: Jun 24, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: By the hill, Sussex
PM
Posted: 2009-07-10 15:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Can someone help me, I'm sure I read somewhere that Apple Stores now repair smashed glass on iPhone's in house while you wait, and for free if you are still within the warranty period (and a cost if you are outside it) Someone at work has this unfortunate situation and was just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some literature which states this
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 127 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic