Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple unveils the 3G iPhone

Previous  123 ... 124125126 ... 128129130  Next
Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-29 14:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ah yes of course! Although voice control can't be used on a 3G if i'm correct? Obviously I appreciate they had to write this in the 3.0fw regardless.. due to the 3GS having this function.

It's certainly true that the force exit is rarely used. I reckon it's how a lot of people kill their batteries so quick by leaving iPod and Safari running in the background all day!
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-06-29 14:33
really? I didnt' realise that voice control wasn't available on the 3G.

Surely its software only or is the voice recognition in the new hardware?
I used microsoft voice command on WM a few years back and that was a software only solution that worked very well
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-29 15:01
Yeh it's not available for 3G models. Silly huh. You'd have thought it was really only a software thing, and shouldnt have to depend on hardware.

Really want a 3GS now, if anything just for the extra RAM. Annoying when apps like TweetDeck crash because the memory just falls too low
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-06-29 15:05
btw, I read this morning that the jailbreak for V3 is being held back until 3.0.1 is available
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-29 15:37
Yeh a good move by the team, although i'm sure there's a lot of peeps out there desperate to jailbreak (i know if I had one i'd want it done like yesterday )

The 3GS really is going to showcase it's processing power when the jailbreak is released and running Backgrounder. Will easily be able to have 10 apps on the go!!! Battery permitting of course!!
frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-06-30 22:38
Regarding the iPod and safari apps are they always running in the backround and should I always force close these In The way u previously mentioned as opposed to just pressing home?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-30 23:26

On 2009-06-30 22:38:19, frank2345babies wrote:
Regarding the iPod and safari apps are they always running in the backround and should I always force close these In The way u previously mentioned as opposed to just pressing home?

No, or at least, it's really not been necessary for me. Yes those two apps (and mail) can remain open in the background after you press the Home button to close them (unlike any third party app) but it's not the big deal that might seem on other platforms, I don't personally believe it has a big impact on battery life or performance. If you've jailbroken and you've got other stuff running in the background then maybe, I guess it all adds up, but the stock firmware handles fine without any need for forced shutdowns, task managers, or anything like that.
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 12:56
Cobblers! Leaving iPod.app or Safari.app running in the background causes a notable battery loss, jailbroken or not. Fact.

Mail.app and Phone.app are always running in the background. You can force quit them but they reopen again immediately. Those two apps running in the background only have light background processes and won't impact on battery at all (obviously if you have fetch set to 15 mins it'll drain battery more than if you have it set to less frequent intervals - but everyone knows this)
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 13:28
mail.app can be effectively removed from background by changing mail settings to manual, them forcing the mail to close
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 13:34
@ant
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 13:45
@ Ryan - cobblers yourself! I rarely if ever forcibly close Safari, iPod, or any other app, but my battery life is perfectly respectable - up to two days when I need it to be (that's with email polling hourly and the usual few calls, texts, games, lots of browsing etc).

I'm well used to the Symbian and Windows Mobile worlds where you obsessively monitor these things with task managers and shut everything down regularly for fear of slowdowns, crashes, and your battery life pouring away. In my experience the iPhone is *not* like that at all, at least in its stock form. Ok, so you might get another ten minutes out of it if you constantly shut things down, but it's not a necessity or a significant factor, and really not worth worrying about IMHO - it'll just interrupt your enjoyment of the phone and uneccessarily slow things down.

The *only* time I've felt the need to hold down buttons is when another app complains of low memory - that's the only time it's been an issue for me in 8-9 months of ownership...
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-07-01 12:48 ]
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 14:30
LOL @Boinng has a magic iPhone, whose battery last for days!!!

The iPhone is notorious for it's poor battery life, most people are unjailbroken and their batt. dies before the day is out. Two days with lots of use, I find difficult to believe...but if you say so...

Either way, it is a FACT if you leave Safari or iPod in the background it will drain battery (do some googling) They're still running afterall, as if you were in the app. I can't see how you think that does not impact on the battery life?

Anyway I find that keeping things tight on battery adds fun to the user experience. Neglecting it by leaving things running is sloppy
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 16:08
I usually charge at work (on USB) but when I take it home on Friday it won't need the charger again till Sunday night, that's good enough for me. I can guarantee both Safari and the iPod app will be running in the background the whole time too. Of course everyone's mileage varies, and if you use the thing constantly it'll run down a lot quicker, but that's useage - the brightly lit screen, active data connection, active calls, etc - not a few processes held in memory by a strictly limited number of background apps.

They're still running afterall, as if you were in the app. I can't see how you think that does not impact on the battery life?

That's the thing though - they're not still running "as if you were in the app", are they? Assuming you're not using the iPod, for example, it's not doing anything - not decoding or playing any music or video files, not keeping the screen alive, nothing - it's just remembering where you are in the playlist. Safari also goes dormant - it does nothing until you open it again (at which point it will resume downloading whatever you left it with). Apple designed these core apps knowing - expecting even - that *nobody* would be manually quitting them, so they're tightly and efficiently integrated into the OS, designed to occupy a small footprint and not use up the juice. It's the same principle that keeps the Phone and Messages app alive at all times too - or would you kill those as well if you had the chance?
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 16:13
i like the iphone...

just to break things up... anyone played blowfish? its addictive and hard to get past level 8!

J.
Barachus
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 16:38
just to add to the discussion, using the processes tab of sbsettings i always notice that safari sometimes uses about 30-40mb of RAM just sitting the background doing nothing
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 124125126 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic