Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 107108109 ... 128129130  Next
Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-18 01:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This OS update got me thinking about what will apple do for the next iphone version. It seems they´ve ´completed´ the current platform by adding pretty much all that should´ve been there since the beginning plus a couple of new things. What will they have for iphone ´4G´ that will make people buy it instead of just upgrading their 3G devices?
Another interesting thing is how smart apple was. They added little by little features that were considered crucial and managed to sell 17m iphones before actually releasing the full OS version. Why release the full package if I can release a basic one and keep it alive for 2 years with software updates?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-03-18 02:07
your thoughts are very valid, and certainly this is what has kept some people away.

but I can, and always have, seen their logic in excluding certain features in their first o/s while they provide a dual path from their music/video only devices to their phone and multi media devices

now that they have established themselves with both fans of their audio devices and new people who have taken the time to spend time with the iphone and ipod touch and come to love it, rather than those who simply dismiss it on features or after a few hours use, its good that Apple are now advancing to meet industry standards and I fully expect they will start to lead the way in areas that they already have not covered (interface, integrated capabilities etc)

lets call it "coming of age"
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-18 04:19
I think that with OS 3.0 Apple is really trying to expand marketshare even further, rather than pleasing existing customers or even innovate substantily. This OS comes mainly to adress shortcomings that might´ve kept people from buying iphones such as landscape keyboard through out the OS and MMS for example. Apple in it´s minimalistic design didn´t seem to think a ´landscape´ mode was necessary in all apps but now they are offering it because it will probably please new customers; or MMS which is in the end of the day a very ´low´ way of sharing photos, even lower considering the iphone came with a very advanced mail app in terms of graphics and layout. It made sense not to include MMS to propel email. But the´ve added MMS now... again I guess for marketshare reasons.
I´m not saying OS 3.0 is not good, quite the contrary, it´s VERY welcome! However I miss a bit the part where apple innovated and cared more about doing new things rather than ´pleasing market standards and etc´, like they did for example with the app store model and the UI.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-18 06:59
http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

Heres the page for the new OS. Hit the quicktime link in there to watch the keynote. I think it´s worth it! I´m excited about 3.0. If only they´ve improved the hardware and the battery too a bit to support more complex games/apps and background processes for app store apps, the iphone OS 3.0 would be the dream phone!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-03-18 11:17
I think the most impressive stuff will come from 3rd parties, when they start using all the new APIs
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-18 14:36
Finally, I might consider getting one after all.. still a tad dumb for my liking.. but way better than it was before.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
ilovepoker
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-18 15:11
Never had one before and am thinking of getting an unlocked version,(16gb 3g).

Should I wait now ?, what are the chances of a "new iphone" in the summer ?.
New screen name, jf2404 is my old one.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-19 09:34
Apple will release a new iphone this summer, can´t see why they wouldn´t. The new version will bring hardware improvements like the 3G did last year.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-03-19 10:56

On 2009-03-18 01:32:30, SloopJohnB wrote:
This OS update got me thinking about what will apple do for the next iphone version. It seems they´ve ´completed´ the current platform by adding pretty much all that should´ve been there since the beginning plus a couple of new things. What will they have for iphone ´4G´ that will make people buy it instead of just upgrading their 3G devices?
Another interesting thing is how smart apple was. They added little by little features that were considered crucial and managed to sell 17m iphones before actually releasing the full OS version. Why release the full package if I can release a basic one and keep it alive for 2 years with software updates?

Not that im disputing a hardware re version in the summer but I doubt it will be called iphone 4g. Im pretty sure 4G is the codename for next gen network after 3g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 16:36
So... what theme is anyone using atm? Care to share a screenshot? Havent really fiddled around with themes for a while, been stuck on Matte Nano and Neco mainly and wanted to try something new
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 16:48
I wanted to know if anyone here installed the beta 3 yet?
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 17:11
bavlondon2,
I know what 4G is... that´s why I typed ´4G´ instead of 4G, just so people would know I was refering to the model right after the Iphone 3G, not the actual 4G technology.

masseur,
I ´ve read on a couple of blogs that people are having problems trying to install beta OS 3.0, I guess it recognizes when your iphone is not part of the SDK program.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 17:33

On 2009-03-20 17:11:17, SloopJohnB wrote:
bavlondon2,
I know what 4G is... that´s why I typed ´4G´ instead of 4G, just so people would know I was refering to the model right after the Iphone 3G, not the actual 4G technology.

masseur,
I ´ve read on a couple of blogs that people are having problems trying to install beta OS 3.0, I guess it recognizes when your iphone is not part of the SDK program.

find a friend that is iphone dev, and you´re in...

i´m considering installing it or not...because i would have to loose my jailbreak stuff...althrough i can go back...decisions...
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 17:34
I am in the developer program though I haven't downloaded the sdk yet as I haven't got a mac yet

Just wondered if the beta required to be installed via sdk on mac or whether iTunes was enough

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2009-03-20 16:38 ]
imssay
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 17:38
Whats the best n95 8gb or iphone 3g im confused i want to change my n95 8gb

This message was posted from a N95_8GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 107108109 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic