Forum > Network operators > Europe > Orange seeks its lost zest

12  Next
Author Orange seeks its lost zest
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-06 01:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mobile phone giant Orange has announced a radical shake up to recapture its innovative reputation. The pain will come for 450 admin management and back office staff who will lose their jobs this year. More could follow next year. Boss Tom Alexander recently complained it had too many box tickers. So the firm is focusing on customers cy hiring 400 staff to work in 60 new high street stores. The French owned business which boasts almost 17 million customers is seen as having lost some of its sparkle it had when it came up with its famous The Futures Bright The Futures Orange ad slogan. Arch rival O2 has stormed ahead scooping the exclusive rights to the iphone and sponsoring the old Millennium Dome in London now a top concert the O2 Arena. Orange is fighting back with the launch of a new super fast mobile internet service and it is installing another 450 base stations to improve mobile signals especially on trains. LETS SEE EH FOLKS. They should definately sort out customers services.
HornyNick
W980
PM
Posted: 2008-06-06 01:35
Im not holding my breath. I have always thought that overall Orange is the worst UK network. They just dont seem to have anything that they can really boast about. OK, Voda might be expensive, but you are never without a great signal. O2 might not have the best customer services but the freebies you get (esp. on pay&go) are excellent. T-Mobile have great customer services (i keep hearing) but the signal is a letdown, (I havent had a t-mobile phone since they where one2one, so I have to go by word of mouth!) The point is I just cant think of anything that is stand-out good about Orange, then again I cant think of anything that is stand-out bad. They are just extremely average.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-06 02:10
Orange recently revamped its pre pay tariff and its pathetic. Its not even a patch on what O2 offers on pre pay and if they want to keep or gain customers they have to come up with something that trumps the competition but they just aint got a clue. They even upped their call charges too. T Mobile i have experience of and their customer service was fine and friendly also i found their 3G coverage very strong in many places. It seemed better than their gsm coverage when i was with them and better than Vodafones.
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-06-06 02:27
I understand as part of the changes they are seeking to relocate call centres from India.... presumably back to the UK. This is a potentially significant move as costs will rise signficantly as a direct result of this initiave. Thus, improving customer service - which is abysmal at present - is obvioulsy something they genuinely realise needs to happen.
However, it won't happen overnight, expect the pain (20 minutes on hold only to be read a script which often will end with, ' go to your local store, perhaps they can help you sort it out') to continue for some time yet.
That said, an immediate sign they are listening to their customers would be to remedy their uncompetitve data charges... get both the above right and maybe we can take it serioulsy.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2008-06-06 08:12
hmmmmmmmm.....

I've never had any issues but I don't use normal CS... Premier or Exec and they are both spot on....

As for more retail people!? PAH! having worked in Orange retail, 400 more staff over 350 stores isn't going to do much good!
JiSm
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-07 23:47
I received the new "to do list" that Tom (new CEO Orange UK) has in place and behind the scenes he is aleady achieving most of it. Its true, the call centres will be solely UK and his pledge is to have Orange UK the most trusted and technologically advanced network by 2011. There are 350 new cell towers going in this quarter and there is a new focus on a customer experience instore that will be put forward - instead of just raw sales. You will be able to visit a store and speak to a store "champion" of a specific product or service, who will actual help you instead of telling you what is wrong and needs to be done but you have to call CS. There are rumours that the exclusive deal for O2 and the iPhone are purely for the Gen1. The 3G version is a whole new kettle of fish- apparently.
"Back in the land of the long white cloud!"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 00:12
I say bring it all on cos a long time ago i never ever wanted to be on any network except Orange. I swore by them and they were the best but it went horribly wrong. I believe they will get it back again but they gotta live upto Hans Snooks name and everything he did for Orange. The call centres is a great move its so refreshing speaking to someone here in the uk but it will also be refreshing that you can get through too. Last time i was with Orange i waited over an hour on hold.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 00:21
Hi all,

I'm sure i am not alone in being able to remember the impact Orange made when they first launched they innovated and brought many of the things we take for granted to the market.

The also used to win the JD Power award for customer service year on year at the same time they also used to have the best Network coverage. In those days the service premier and exec customers now get was the service given to all.

Unfortunately after they were sold and Hans Snook left it all changed and for the worse and has never really recovered since IMO.

My last dealing with Orange was shortly after the launch of the P910 when dealing with the Executive Office i was repeatedly lied to and told i wasn't allowed to update my P910 even though this was a feature and was on Orange info sheet in the box. I ended up having to issue 7 days notice to the legal department of my intention to institute proceedings to get the matter resolved and a full refund and cancellation of my contract without penalty. Since then for obvious reasons there is no way i will return to what was the best service and Orange.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-07 23:21 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 01:06
I would return if things improved. I nearly did recently but was put off and also their pre pay tariff is pants not a patch on O2. Anyway with the right person to drive things they may just regain their old crown.
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 21:54
Unfortunately, I have had no choice but to stay with Orange - I have Line 2 (& a fax line and a data line) all on the one Sim card - which none of the other providers offer. However, there have been many times I have sorely wished I could leave. It would be most welcome if Orange could get their act together. However. it will take months if not years to happen and I for one, am not holding my breath.
thomas93
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 22:14
No more 12months contracts
(+10 -0) WoRld Tour
7 User!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 22:47
One great thing i always thought about Orange. They clearly have the best sound quality when making and recieving calls its always so clear but that would be not enough to stay would it. Thomas93. Is that what they are now saying at Orange no more 12 month contracts? If so thats very bad cos i think people should given the choice and not forced to sign for longer just cos they get a free phone. Im sure networks recoup the cost of a mobile at around 12 months in a contract.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-08 23:26
Hi bonovox,

I don't think Orange are alone in this move i have noticed for some time now the Networks both pushing for minimum spend of £35pm and 18 months or even 24 month contracts.

The difference in both minutes and texts and the price for a new phone can be quite substantial. Although i have also noticed that for those of us that are prepared to buy our devices sim free we can know get good Sim only deals.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-08 22:27 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-09 01:25
Well i upgrade alot like i used to many years ago on contract. I no longer want a contract. Anyway what i do now is buy either sim free or a pay and go handset and i am free anytime to get another phone im not stuck with one i hate in a contract and not being able to change for months. A sim only deal is a very good option and buying sim free on top of that makes it perfect. My wages are pretty good and i am able to get new phones quite alot but i hate contracts with a passion now.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-06-09 01:32
I forgot to mention. Some years ago i was signing a new contract for a second number on my Vodafone account so i could get an S700i. Anyway i fell into the trap and failed to check the paper work being excited of getting my shiny new phone. What i failed to notice was that i had signed into 18 months when i thought it was 12 months. The sales assistant never even said a word to me about what i was signing so he could get a bigger contract. Just goes to show ya gotta read the small print. I never noticed it till it was too late after the return period.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi