Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > "N-Gage users N-Raged by Nokia handset lock-in"

Author "N-Gage users N-Raged by Nokia handset lock-in"
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-05-22 12:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Seems somebody didn't read the EULA and now is upset that they must re-purchase N-Gage titles when they switch Nokia handsets. The terms and conditions do state that, "Content shall be... limited to one private installation on one N-Gage compatible Nokia device only." Forever.

Via Engadget
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-05-22 12:34
I was just reading the same on BBC

but isn't this the same with most phone software? the key is usually based on IMEI and its like getting blood out of a stone getting a new key issued when you change handset

this is another good point of windows mobile as the key is almost always based on the device ID which I usually set to my first name
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-05-22 12:36
Well, yes, but this renders the N-Gage service no different from your average mobile phone games shop.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-05-23 18:35
Nokia ends brief spat over N-Gage game transfers

Nokia will allow users to transfer their N-Gage games from phone to phone after all, the company confirmed on Friday. The company has caused controversy by tying each game purchase to a specific phone, forcing customers to repurchase each game if they upgrade, but now says it has a means for users to port their game libraries without raising piracy concerns. The solution will at first involve contacting Nokia's support service but will ultimately include an unspecified "long-term" solution that allows users to make the switch much more easily.

"We don't have any timeline for the fix, but the games guys are aware how big an issue this is and doing their best to solve it," Nokia spokesman James says in a news post.

http://www.electronista.com/a[....]23/nokia.to.allow.n.gage.move/
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi