Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia E90 running V200.34.73 review by Dogmann

Author Nokia E90 running V200.34.73 review by Dogmann
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 14:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

So i have now had my E90 since 8th January and have been running the latest Firmware since the 15th April so felt it was time to do justice to Nokia's Flagship Smart Phone.

As i have been using S60 now for coming up to 2 years i have a few apps that are must haves for me and that i install on all my devices.

On flashing to the latest firmware it now takes just 27 seconds for the E90 to be ready for use. I then proceeded to install my apps and Sync 2 years worth of Calender entries as well as all my contacts all of which took just under 1 hour. As i don't use back up and restore and prefer to do a completely fresh install and Sync with Outlook treating my device as if it was new.

The apps i installed are

Handy Taskman
Handy Calender
Handy Safe
Fring
Seven All Ways On Push E-Mail
Screenshot
Tom Tom 6

I also installed Silver by PiZero as my current favorite black and silver theme and my custom Ringtone, Alarm and E-Mail alert.

This latest Firmware has increased the general operational speed of the E90 and it is much snappier making any delays virtually a thing of the past no matter what you ask of it.

I'm sure anyone reading this is aware of the fact that the E90 is running the TI OMAP2420 processor running at 330 MHz as found in the other top of the range Nokia smart phones and is currently the most powerful available for any Symbian device. It also comes with 128MB of Ram with just short of 80mb Ram free on boot up depending on the users configuration.

In my opinion one it's best features is the huge 4" 800x 352 pixels (24-bit, 16,7 million colors) as it's one of the largest screens you can find on any smartphone. Now many complain of the size and weight of the E90 but how else can you get a 4" inch screen in a smaller device and the price paid is well worth it IMO. Especially when you consider a popular rival such as the TyTN11 is just 26mm shorter and 20gms lighter yet has just a 2.8"screen tiny in comparison.

This really gives an unparalleled experience when it comes to Web Browsing or viewing any of your apps and makes Multimedia viewing both viable and a pleasure. Once you have watched a Video or film on this screen there really is no going back to anything smaller IMO.

I will happily take a little extra weight and length to gain the extra screen size. As it moves the user experience to whole new level as shown by the attached screen shots comparing the E90's Web Browser against the TyTN11 using both PIE and Opera all are set to 100% zoom level.

First we have the E90 on the Homepage for this Forum

Now we have the TyTN11 using PIE the medium setting

Now using Opera @100%

It is very obvious just how much difference the Safari Browser and the 4" screen makes and just how much less navigation is required to view the same page.

Now fans of Touch screens will of course claim many things that those of us that are not fans just don't find true.

The main point besides being larger and clearer and requiring less navigation is the greater clarity and brightness of a non Touch Screen as that it is visible in conditions where even a Laptop's screen isn't it. Also as the E90 has been designed as a non touch screen using the D-Pad and the centre for clicking the on screen pointer is both fast and accurate and makes navigation fast and easy with very little effort especially as so much more is shown on it's larger screen in the first place.

The second feature of the E90 that again has led it it being larger is the QWERTY with 57 keys one of which can be configured as a My own shortcut key to an app of the users choice on top of this there is also another 8 Keys offering shortcuts to apps and the Folder Menu's and another My Own key. This gives incredible flexibility in accessing the app you want and the actual Keyboard itself is a good size with a great tactile feel to it typing is not a chore but a pleasure and fast and accurate.

Again due to the large screen viewing or entering data for everything is just so good from Calender to E-Mails or viewing Documents the large screen pays for the extra weight and size.

I use the Seven All Ways On Push E-Mail running for 18 hrs a day over WiFi as first choice and then 3G if not available. The 1500aMh Li-Polymer Battery gives great performance and even with heavy use easily lasts a day.

Also unlike what i read many other smart phones users say i run my screen brightness on full and have UMTS only selected unlike those that turn off 3G and reduce their screens to 50% or less in an effort to conserve power. As i don't get the point of having a powerful device and then having to disable some of it's functions to conserve power and reduce the user experience.

Here are some screen shots of how many of the apps look on this great 4" screen and why i am such a fan of what for me is the best device available now or coming soon.

It may not be the right device for everyone but for those of us that don't want or like Touch Screens and want the best possible user experience IMO there really is nothing that comes close.

Marc

Credit's to Myth for the TyTN11 screen shots.

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-06 13:50 ]
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 15:51
Nice review, it is good to see Nokia making an effort to upgrading their software every so often, it really adds to the longetivity of the device and that is always a plus in my books whether it be mobile phones, operating systems, games consoles whatever. If m device is supported for longer i'm a happier customer.

However there is one thing i find very interesting, in fact slightly annoying

On 2008-05-06 14:36:51, Dogmann wrote:

Also unlike what i read many other smart phones users say i run my screen brightness on full and have UMTS only selected unlike those that turn off 3G and reduce their screens to 50% or less in an effort to conserve power. As i don't get the point of having a powerful device and then having to disable some of it's functions to conserve power and reduce the user experience.

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-06 13:50 ]

A few months ago, i cannot remember the thread or the topic or how the conversation switched to it, but basically i made the statement that "BMW's new M5 (i think) with it's BHP reducing mode is a bad idea" or words to that effect basically claiming that if i buy a car like that i want all the power i get.

From what i remember you didn't seem to agree saying that when in town you want to be able to drive the car around nicely, and then thrash it on the track.

Yet above you seem to state there is not point in having a powerful device and then disabling some of the function a la BMW...anyhoo just thought i'd throw that into the mix.

Other then that some nice considerations for when deciding what phone to get. Still not sure if I would be happy with the E90 as my everyday phone due to its size, since i like a phone i can stick in my pocket.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 16:41
Hi 5nak3

Ones a mobile device the other is a car there really isn't any comparison to be drawn IMO.

As i said at the time the M5 makes perfect sense as it by simply switching mapping it performs best for the conditions it finds itself in. Too much power on the normal roads is as dangerous as not enough on a race track. Even with the lower map for the road it still performs better than most road cars as is in the super car league of performance.

Now my E90's screen may still be great at 50% but why deny myself it's full glory at 100% if i have no need to? Same goes as to why should i disable 3G/HSDPA to save battery if i have no need mine is actually set on UMTS only not even dual mode. As i always get a good signal and would hate to have to switch it each time i wanted t use Data that would be a real pain IMO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-06 15:41 ]
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 17:23
yh i agree the two are completely different and shouldn't be compared but still that statement stuck out for me.

Just curious how does that dual mode 3g / 2g option work? I dont have very good 3g connection where i live, but where i work i get excellent 3g connection.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 20:45
Hi 5nak3,

How it works is under Network it gives you the option to have the E90 use just UMTS or just GSM or dual mode which means it searches and uses the strongest of the two. I believe it is the same for many S60 devices that give the user this option.

As i am fortunate i have good 3G cover every where i am i have it set to UMTS only so it doesn't look for a GSM connection which IMO gives a more stable and reliable signal and also is kinder to the battery as constantly searching does use more power.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-06 19:45 ]
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 20:56
nice review Marc, im still waiting on my E90 to come back from Nokia (for the 5th time) [addsig]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-06 22:00
Hi Dicky

Yeah i read that in the other thread i would of thought it was only fair to demand a new unit by now then. As that is totally unacceptable IMO and really not good or what you should expect especially with a Flagship product.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-06 21:01 ]
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 13:52
everyone they have sent me has been a new unit ( although i suppose it could be a refurb)

ill wait and see what happens this time. its been away for around 10 days so should be back shortly. any other problems , ill take it higher than just the repair centre! [addsig]
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-05-08 01:20
Nice reply Marc.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi