Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Bluetooth specifications and more :)

Previous  123 ... 101112  Next
Author Bluetooth specifications and more :)
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-23 17:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Software comes with the cards. It could be the FileTransfer program.

It depends on the bluetooth-profiles in the card itself, as I wrote earlier. If the card does not support filetransfer to mobile device, then you cannot do it.

If the bluetooth card have the ability to send pictures and melodies to the phone,...then you wont need any specific software in some cases.
It will work the same way as IR does,...meaning that when you have established a connection between phone and card/laptop,..then you could rightclick image, and send "via bluetooth", just as you can do when using IR.

In other cases,..you will be able to send images and so on,..by using the bluetooth-menu program that came with the card.
When You establish a connection,..there will be some sort of pop-up-box/bluetooth-menu, where options are listed (in the same way IR works, once you connect).

E.g. 3Com cards support transfer of e.g. pictures, melodies.
Anycom at the current moment doesnt.

Jan

eweiwei
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-04-23 17:47
Why does people name this stuff bluetooth? why not redtooth? greentooth? or may be yellowtooth?
all8
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-23 17:57
Quote:

On 2002-04-23 17:47, eweiwei wrote:
Why does people name this stuff bluetooth? why not redtooth? greentooth? or may be yellowtooth?

The Bluetooth name comes from the Danish king Harald Bluetooth who unified Denmark and Norway in the 10th century.

To find out more check out
http://www.ericsson.com/bluetooth/companyove/history-bl/

Milestones in the Bluetooth advance

* 1994. Ericsson launches an initiative to study a low-power, low-cost radio interface between mobile phones and their accessories.

* 1997. Ericsson approaches several manufacturers of portable electronic devices to discuss the development and promotion of the short-range wireless technology.

* 1998. Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Nokia and Toshiba form the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG).

* 1999. Release of the open Bluetooth Specification version 1.0.

* 2000. The Bluetooth SIG is now run by 9 promoter companies, the original 5 founder companies plus 3COM, Lucent Technologies, Microsoft and Motorola.

* The first certified Bluetooth products on the market.
* Bluetooth SIG membership passes 2000.
* The development of next-generation technology and Bluetooth Specification 2.0 is well advanced
* Bluetooth wireless technology is now the fastest growing de facto communication standard ever.

[ This Message was edited by: all8 on 2002-04-23 18:02 ]
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-24 00:12
eweiwei > Hehe,..yes its actually named after the danish viking-king Harald Blåtand (bluetooth).

Another reason why its called bluetooth is the fact that the module/chipset is blue Actually the first ones were blue, I dont know if that is still the same today.

And because Harald Bluetooth unified/brought together the countries, bluetooth should work in the same way : Bringing people close !

jan
orang3
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-24 07:28
intresting ..
Jimak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-24 09:42
jh67: That was a joke, was it? I saw 4 different baseband chipsets (CSR, Philips, Nokia and Ericsson) and none is blue - they are black or silver.
The truth is, that Philips comes on a blue-dyed PCB ...
Jimak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-24 09:47
There is confusion between the file transfer and object push.
T68 has only object push - because it has no real filesystem.
Notebooks have the file transfer (besides the push).
The Bluetooth products I have tried so far are all the same - only their "Windows SW" limits the features. If you use them e.g. under Linux you get the same features from all of them. That goes for 3COM, Nokia DTL1, Nokia DTL4, CSR based products, etc. The radio chipset can handle anything, but the software must support it.
tcp/ip
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-24 09:55
>jan< hehe oki sorry det havde jeg ikke set !! men din beskrivelse er nice "down to earth" og nem at forstå selvom man ikke aner en klyde om blåtand`s teknik.. mvh
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-24 13:55
Jimak > No, it wasnt a joke. One of the first times I saw a bluetooth chipset,..it was blue But then again, it was "commercial",..and I know that today the chipsets are either black or met.silver

Yes the phone does have object push,...and some bluetooth-cards have this too.
I know too that "fileTransfer" is not the same. It is also stated in e.g. the Anycom cards manual, that FileTransfer is for pc-use, and not phone-use.

From what I read, the "Object push-profile" could very well be in all bluetooth-cards in the future. Today they are not.
Reason is,..the bluetooth-cards are not only targeted for mobile-phone-users, but also very much pc-users, that will use a combination of a mobile-phone (synchronization, DUN/LAN-modem) and e.g. a laptop/pda.

There're a lot of bluetooth-profiles,..but they cant all be put into one card. The bluetooth-card manufacturers will put the profiles, they believe are most useful/versatile, into the cards.
And therefore the profiles in the cards will be a mix of "phone-usable-profiles" and "PC-usable-profiles".

In the future we will see cards with more profiles, and probably cards that will be more "mobile-phone-targeted".

When you pay a lot of money for a card,..then you really want it to be versatile. You want to be able to use it with a lot of different devices,..and it should have a lot of different options/features.
At the moment its still a bit limited,..but it'll change in the future

Jan

jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-24 14:03
TCP > hehe,..den skulle også være "down to earth",..de skal helst ikke blive helt rundtosset, inden de overhovedet lærer det at kende

Sorry for the danish (no real info in that sentence, just an answer)

Jan
titanic
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-25 03:38
I have one question. Why is the T68i only qualified for spec v1.0b even though spec v1.1 has been out for a long time? Does it mean that my T68i will have interoperability problems with other v1.1 Bluetooth devices?
Jimak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-25 11:22
to titanic:
I guess no problem. I have T68m running agains a bunch of BT 1.1 devices and didn't find even smallest glitch so far.

to jan:
Getting that "Object push" is just matter of software. Unless the card manufacturer did something very very very weird.
For sure Nokia's DTL1 and DTL4, 3COMs USB and all other CSR based products I saw work just fine under Linux, even though their "original Windoze software" doesn't.
Jimak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-25 11:28
to jan 2:
BTW, we have the "headset" profile almost running between two notebooks - just as an example that the bluetooth module can do anything, all depends on the software (drivers).
Why would one implement the printer or headsed profile in a notebook? There is no use-case for it (do you want to listen to the notebook's speakers when you pick up the call?) and therefore the software you get with such module doesn't support it.
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-26 03:53
Well, one bluetooth-card have the headset profile (audio) right now.

Personally I cant find any reason for an audio profile in a laptop either,..not much need for this. But there might come some options with bluetooth v2 later on. Or actually I know that there will be.
The printer-software/"profile" according to me is more useful on laptops. The Anycom-card have this option, although its not a fully developed bluetooth product yet. Its Anycom's own version right now.

Jan

jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-26 04:13
Titanic >
The bluetooth v1.1. are backwards compatible,..so there's no problems with "older" bluetooth versions.
A good example is the Bluespoon, its v.1.1, and it works great with e.g. T-39, T68 and so on

Jimak >
I know too that a lot depends on the software. Thats why I also wrote that more features could be put into the card, once upgraded,..e.g. new drivers/software.

BTW : the Anycom card is v.1.0., thats the card I got And according to Anycom, it doesnt support the object push (from/to phone). At least not at the current moment.

Jan

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic