12  Next
Author Strong demand for mobile phones
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 14:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
BBC article

Global demand for mobile phones remains strong, despite economic uncertainty in rich nations and rising food prices in poorer countries.

Consultancy firm Strategy Analytics says 282 million handsets were shipped worldwide in the first three months of 2008, up 14% from a year ago.

Handset market share
o Nokia 40.9%
o Samsung 16.4%
o Motorola 9.7%
o LG Electronics 8.6%
o Sony Ericsson 7.9%
o Others 16.4%
Source: Strategy Analytics
belialwafu
W700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 14:15
Sad for [addsig]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 14:36
Interesting figures. It really is a shame to see Motorola where it is. If things don't change at Moto we might see LG or SE at number three by the first quarter of next year.

LG is fighting hard and SE will have to up its game to get that number 4 spot back.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Fanofmodi
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 15:06
Weak marketing is the reason for SE's surge. In my country atleast.
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 06:18
if nokia's brand ambassador in india is shahrukh khan, sony ericsson has hrithik roshan who is no less popular.
i don't think that is "weak marketing".
nokia's phones are just better, it's as simple as that. [addsig]
Fanofmodi
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 06:28
I know hritik is very popular but he is nowhere seen. As for shahrukh he is allways on tv, last 5months ive seen no new products add.
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:17
so the more times a commercial is aired on tv the better the marketing campaign?
now that's new.
obama is all over american channels all through the day, but that in no way makes him a winner. [addsig]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:26
@ftyk
i know india is less developed then the western country's (no offence) but saying nokia phones are better, isn't really stupid. they are more the same.
And yes, more times on the TV is more times in the eye of the public, and that sells products. In terms of politics thats something completly else.
And i don't think Obama will win. Americans are proud people, and they aren't all stupid, so McCain will win and thats the best possible option.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:34
Looks like SE hit the bottom (5, that is).
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-04-28 23:11

On 2008-04-26 06:18:25, @ftyk wrote:
if nokia's brand ambassador in india is shahrukh khan

A little correction there... Shah Rukh is not the brand amabassador of Nokia, not yet atleast... He just did an ad campaign for Nokia's 10 years in India... But as Shah Rukh fits the best with Nokia, I think they might add him as their ambassador soon...

14% market growth rate is pretty good even with current condition of the economy... But, ouch, SE's was only 2%... Sad but nothing unexpected...

And I do agree that recently in India, SE's marketing has gone way too down compared to previous years... One example being ads on TV... People automatically create a perception in their minds after seeing ads on TV... LG and Moto are doing so many ads on TV here and even Nokia and Samsung... People are not even aware of the recently launches SE phone like W380 and all, and if SE do not market their upcoming phones like the G900, W350, etc. their sales here will hardly improve...

Lets hope for the best!!!
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-29 05:45
@bart,
if nokia's phones are not better how come nokia is ruling the throne of being the #1 mobile manufacturer since years?
if frequent repitition on tv has a better impact how come the # of smokers is on the rise inspite of numerous tv channels flashing anti-smoking commercials 10 times a day?
the proud americans have a crashing ecnomy to deal with & mccain is not the right person for the job, america's only hope is hillary clinton.
after what one republican lunatic has done to america & the world in the recent past does america still want another republican to plunder the tax payer's hard earned money? [addsig]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-29 10:30
how come nokia is nr1. i'm so tired of explaining this to rookies and fanboys. just use the search button!

Bush did what he had to do, going to war doesn't make anyone popular thx to the left minded media. What did you want him to do after 9/11? do nothing, let everything be as it is. thats plain stupid.
The worst thing someone can do, is do nothing.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 14:08
@bart,
fanboy...yes, rookie...no.
terrorism is a global issue & incidents happen in various countries but they don't shoot off their bombers to other countries & wage a war.
the war on terror was not 9/11 inspired but actually just a lousy texas cowboy looking for oil.
all this has been discussed on esato earlier but you are probably a rookie here & therefore unaware.
now let's keep our discussion related to mobile issues as esato is a mobile forum.
i am sure there are other places on the net where you can defend america's worst president ever.
btw. nokia still is #1, how can you be so naive? [addsig]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-01 06:05
@bart.
Bush went to Afghanistan for 9/11. But he went to Iraq to pay back his oil industry backers. War in Iraq makes the oil price go up. See record profits of oil companies now. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-05 23:43
Those who believe the war was mainly about oil are so mistaken.
But i know its hard to convince you die hard leftminded hippy's
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi