Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Walkman 3.0 for P1i

Author Walkman 3.0 for P1i
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 20:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-04-26 19:07:34, 5nak3 wrote:
ok gonna have a go at this, one thing which i just need to finalize. After unlocking the private files i copy over the C folder from the walkman v3 download pack to my memory card.

..Try opening the archive (the zip) in x-plore, and select the directories you were going to copy instead (the sys, etc.). And then select c: (on the root) as target. That'll extract the files to the right directories, easy and quickly.

And you're not supposed to overwrite anything. Just to drop the files in the right directories, and create a few new ones. (And of it should be possible to remove afterwards, file by file, and nothing should break from that. Basically, it's just a new app that shows up in the "tools" folder).
(edit: just to be completely on the safe side here - the files you add, if you copy the sys- folder, will be contained inside that target- folder on c:. Don't start removing the sys- folder afterwards - just the files you just installed inside that folder, if you want to uninstall it in the future. And, if you use the internal file- browser, it will complain if you copy something to somewhere else that has the same directory- name. And you will replace files in that folder if they have the same names, when you click "yes". But in this case, no files should be overwritten.)

..but it's not impossible to brick the phone by messing around like this, so be careful. Mostly you'd just be corrupting an install by deleting things at random. But some of the resources have to exist, be in the right formats and sizes to get the phone to complete the boot (i.e., the walkman screens - that are not installed with the w3 pack, btw - could actually brick the phone if they're not the way they should be).. so do one thing at a time, and so on.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"

[ This Message was edited by: Nipsen on 2008-04-26 19:16 ]
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 20:43
@AD, Nipsen

Thanks for the replies, i actually went ahead with the mod before you posted, i thought to myself that i've messed around with file systems / hacks on other products before so i figured i give it a go and whatever happens.

In any case all went well I now have the walkman 3 player on my phone. Actually i tested out the movement of files by duplicating a word document within the media files, and tried to overwrite it, xplore was very nice and prompted if i wanted to continue.

I figured this is how it works so i moved the private folder once i saw nothing was being prompted the rest of the files followed. Rebooting my phone was a bit heart in mouth, but i saw the loading bar and i was happy

A couple of questions:

The current theme for the walkman is nice, but can we create upload our own to the WM3? I know WM2 allowed this, but what about WM3

Also, i figured out that there must be a key mapping file for the walkman, are we allowed to change and edit the file to our liking?

Just thought of another question, i used the apptrk.sis method rather than capsswitch which is also available. I assume after the reboot i don't need to worry about my private files being on veiw eh? Because as i understand it apptrk is switched off after reboot.

Oh and for anyone who may read this:

Currently running walkman 3 on an O2 UK branded device with the following firmware:

Phone: R9j005
Organiser: R6F41

And no slowdown to annoy me actually. Seems alright.

Thank you all for your paitence with me, congrats on the 500 AD

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-04-26 19:49 ]
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-27 05:33

On 2008-04-26 19:47:59, AD wrote:

YAY for me!!! Post no. 500!!!!!!!!!!!!

*applause*
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-27 16:21
hey all, i was wondering if anyone knows how to load up artwork into the player. None of my files are showing the artwork, well actaully a couple of them are but i have no idea how that happened.

One was an iTunes files which was bluetoothed to the phone, the other is a CD rip of mine. But no other file is showing the artwork, despite the artwork loading up in windows media player, itunes, and mp3tagger.

illithid
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-27 17:28
Unlike the standard media player on P1i, W960's Walkman player reads album art data from MP3 IDTag, so you must enbed your MP3 with album art graphic.
mobilemodman
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-27 17:29
youve gotta make the mp3 files into individual folders, like artist > album > mp3, example: 50 cent folder > curtis album folder > i get money.mp3 and put the artwork (jpeg less than 20kb i think, with less than 500x500 dimensions) into the same folder as the mp3's (the album folder), u have to update music after that, or restart walkman player for the album art to load up. the album art which you see now usually is a hidden file that gets downloaded with the mp3, thats why u cant see it in the folders. hope tat helps
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-27 18:06
ok i think i got it. Will have to update later to be sure, but i have some tracks which were not loading their album art now loading them.

I used Mobilemodman's method. But i do not think the 20kb picutre size matters. My "Bullet For My Valentine" album art is 23kb. I will try with another album art which is 34kb and will update later.

Thank you, hopefully all will be fine

----Edit----

Ok well i have tried .png images for the art and they work fine as well, and I also have tried a file that is 66kb and that worked too. So i think as long as you keep it below 500x500 px you'll be fine. Many thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-04-27 17:31 ]
sathyabhat
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-29 21:27
Ok. I'm facing "Application cannot be started" problem, while trying to launch Walkman v3 from the menu. Did all step by step. Removed all the files that were copied while doing the install of Walkman 3.0, *manually* and copied them again, still no change. No, Media player is NOT running while trying to launch Walkman v3. Does anyone know where I'm going wrong? My Firmware is R9H004 Anyone's got Wv3 running on this firmware? Do I need Walkman v2 to get Wv3 running?
Thanks & Regards,
Sathya

[ This Message was edited by: sathyabhat on 2008-04-29 20:33 ]
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-29 21:59
As far as i know the walkman 2 files are not neeed, maybe the firmware does not support the app? I'm not sure just guessing. I cant be of much more help because I dont know much about the UIQ file systems but another member will no doubt be of more help.

Silly question but did you restart your phone?
arvinlad
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-29 22:16

On 2008-04-29 21:27:33, sathyabhat wrote:
Ok. I'm facing "Application cannot be started" problem, while trying to launch Walkman v3 from the menu. Did all step by step. Removed all the files that were copied while doing the install of Walkman 3.0, *manually* and copied them again, still no change. No, Media player is NOT running while trying to launch Walkman v3. Does anyone know where I'm going wrong? My Firmware is R9H004 Anyone's got Wv3 running on this firmware? Do I need Walkman v2 to get Wv3 running?
Thanks & Regards,
Sathya

[ This Message was edited by: sathyabhat on 2008-04-29 20:33 ]

You do have a P1i? - this will only install on a P1i.

No you don't want the Walkman 2 files! - if you have installe walkman 2.0 you would need to remove those files.

have you tried downloading the application fresh from the site? - you should not need to remove the walkman 3 files before copying them over again!
www.answersingenesis.org , www.expelledthemovie.com/home.php
arvinlad
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-29 22:50
On this page... http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthread.php?t=247982&page=4 Moherowy has added a command to allow alkman player to be activated by the 'Shortcut' button - works great on my P1iW

[ This Message was edited by: arvinlad on 2008-04-29 21:50 ]
jmbillings
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-30 12:35
I've just done this mod myself, and it works a treat. I do have the problem of album art not working right - is there any software people know of that will update my MP3 files with the right grahpics? I use Windows Media to rip stuff to MP3, not iTunes... but I'd ideally want something I can jsut fire off against my existing library to update them properly...

Anyone...?

Download free SE mobile themes from my site!
Free Sony Ericsson Themes!
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 12:42
hmm, i dont even think iTunes does album art correctly, and media player requires you to find the album online to get the album art...

The steps on how to add album art are posted a few posts above (I had the same problem), i use Mp3tag but if the songs are already ripped it requires you to add all the art by yourself.

If you have CD's you are ripping, what you do is rip the CD's open up Mp3tag point it to the directory where you ripped the songs, and again i think you need to find the album art (although it has some search engines built in i gave up trying to use them, and didn't bother with the how to) once you have the album art copied to your clip board, highlight all the songs that share the same art paste the art into the album art box and press crtl+s.

Long winded, but this is the best i found. I hate iTunes cant use the prog, it makes no sense to me, media player is good but you have to find the songs via their catalogue which is a slow process and sometimes does not give the best results.

I settled for mp3tag and amazon.com. Amazon gives me the album art, and i just copy and paste it into mp3tag.

If you find something more efficient let me know
arvinlad
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 13:24
I used to use Musicmatch Jukebox. - Even Paid for it I liked that much - that was pretty good at doing album art & Tags & stuff - but Yahoo have bought it and trashed it now - they just want you to use their iTunes equivalent garbage
www.answersingenesis.org , www.expelledthemovie.com/home.php
jmbillings
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-30 15:47
I've been playing with MP3Tag and it seems to work ok. I've done an album at a time, but apparently it should do all in one go (must read some instructions!)

But worth a punt...
Download free SE mobile themes from my site!
Free Sony Ericsson Themes!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi