Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > UIQ 3.3 is out!

Author UIQ 3.3 is out!
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 15:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
no shit. If they spent a fraction of the sum spent on pr and Macworld- sniffing analysts..

I mean, let's take the iPhod - no commercial stunts, little or no pr, no "ambassadors" or tennis- stars. And it still became a bestseller. Now why is that? Does it have something to do with that the product actually is good, and did what the customers expected of it? Was it because it didn't scream (too loudly anyway) of unrealised potential?

Or was it because of some magic happening in the market that had to do with exposure, positioning, timing, and lack of competition? Hardly. It just was a good product (that of course - to everyone's astounding suprise - does not instantly escape over to the iPoon).

But hey - let's buy ourselves another few hours with a tennis- star. #¤%&
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 15:10
You think UIQ 3.3 is finger friendly, nothing on the website, but I guess if it was it would be mentioned in the press release. Another nice thing about it is itsmated to v9.3 symbian, so a few RAM issues should be solved. Hope the implementation of the OS is on a processor greater than 200 mhz .
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 15:12
When there is plenty of RAM, there are no RAM issues, be it on uiq3.0 or uiq 3.3
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 15:24
@ares,

Agreed, but thats not a permanent solution now is it . Thats a very primitive solution , not what you'd accept from equipment you're going to be paying > 300 pounds for . We like our phones perfect, and this will bring us that one step closer.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 16:05
@Nipsen

When you say

"I don't. Not until it proves itself to be 1. as stable. 2. as secure. 3. as scaleable. 4. as customiseable. 5. as efficient. and 6. as developer- friendly (and then I don't mean for hackers, but for actual developers)."

Just how much of that can actually be applied to SE/UIQ then seeing as every UIQ Device so far up to and including the P1 and W960 has carried forward known bugs.

You are right it is far to early to judge S60 Touch UI one way or the other as it has not been seen properly yet, but what we do know is that most if not all existing S60 apps will work on it so that completely removes the question point 6 makes.

This announcement can only be seen as a positive as at least it show progress but if the rumors are true and SE announce devices with greatly improved processors, HSDPA and all round better spec's in May. Just when does anyone think we will actually see these devices launched late this year or early next year?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-03-27 15:05 ]
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 16:50
Good point Marc
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 17:06

On 2008-03-27 14:33:41, Nipsen wrote:
I don't. Not until it proves itself to be 1. as stable. 2. as secure. 3. as scaleable. 4. as customiseable. 5. as efficient. and 6. as developer- friendly (and then I don't mean for hackers, but for actual developers).

Why would you imagine that S60 Touch would be any less stable, secure, scaleable, cusomiseable, efficient or developer friendly than S60?

Do you really believe that UIQ should wait until S60 Touch is out there and "proving" itself, before it reacts?

I'm not even going to mention the imminent release of WM6.1, or the upcoming 7 that looks set to be a revolution, or the growth of OS X development following its SDK release, or Android with it's sizeable industry support already in place. Let's carry on ignoring these "unproven" things, until they prove themselves on the market, eh?

I've said it before - but if SE supported these units, and ensured they were properly tested (and positioned for people who actually use the phones) - it would be no question what sort of /platform/ would be the best one at the market.

You may have said it before, but you still seem to be wasting your time - SE don't support these units properly, they don't properly test them, and their market positioning is entirely questionable. That's why UIQ is languishing in the sorry state it's in, and it's not good enough to say "but if they just..." because to some extent it's too late already, and they're showing no signs of upping their game either.

And as you say - that a platform with no HSDPA phones, no high- end processors, no in- built gps, etc, etc, can still manage to survive, that certainly means something. We just disagree on what, I suppose.

We certainly do. The UIQ phones on sale for the past year aren't bad, they're quite competitively priced, and they offer something reasonably unique in their form factor - touchscreens without the overheads of WM, or the price of an Iphone etc. The problem is, it's diminishing returns - we're approaching a time when everything (smart or not) will have touch features, and UIQ will be just another also ran.

Nevertheless - it's not here, and it might very well be a "dream".

I can almost believe you work for UIQ, perhaps in their long term strategy department? Maybe everything's a dream, and we'll all wake up in a minute next to our P800's?

And we know next to nothing about the capabilities and the way it's structured, or how easy it would be to actually develop less than a complete program- suite for it. And those are important things, when you consider a platform to develop on.

Yes they are, but they're probably mostly the same as S60 aren't they, when you think about it? I mean, I don't know any better than you do, but if you were Nokia developing a Touch version of S60, wouldn't you make it pretty much the same as the immensely successful and popular S60, but with a Touch layer on it?

Sadly, no. Set aside the fact that we haven't actually seen the tech on anything except concept- animations so far - it sets out to implement the scrolling- functions in s60 with finger- touch. I.e, mapping up/down and push on the d-pad to finger- movement. Anything else would have to be implemented separately, and break backwards against other s60 phones.

No, that's complete conjecture on your part. Anything else (as in, touch selection of items on screen, handwriting etc) will I'm sure be added separately, but while it might not work on all previous S60 apps, that's no reason not to do it. Nothing will be "broken", the phones will simply be able to run both Touch and non-Touch apps. You can bet good money that the vast majority of existing apps will be Touch enabled within a month or two of the first handset release.

In other words, what it does is to introduce the s60 users to touch, not entice wm or UIQ users to s60. (As much as I would love that to be the case, since it might actually give SE a reason to get their asses in gear).

Again, I think you're being incredibly naive if you really think that's all it does. Nokia aren't daft, they aren't going to touch enable S60 just to save money on a d-pad.

The m600 /looked/ redundant.

I assume that's meant to be a significant statement in some way, but the sentence itself looks redundant to me. I had an M600, I quite liked it, but it didn't exactly catch the world alight. It may have given us the P1, but that's no groundshaker either.

Well - try an s60 unit for a while. And be amazed to see what the hype is about. That experience still makes me laugh inside, at least, whenever I encounter a "quirk" in UIQ.. "ooh, s60 is the best symbian, the most bleeding edge.." - I wish. Oh, how I wish that was the case.

You really don't get it - I've already said, I can't stand S60. It does nothing for me. But given that they're both running the same OS, the only real advantage that UIQ has is its touchscreen, and all the ease of navigation and input that gives. When S60 has the same, and all the software and support, and the much wider choice of devices, and all the high-end technology that UIQ's manufacturers have ignored, then I see no future whatever for User Interface Quartz.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 17:13

On 2008-03-27 16:05:22, Dogmann wrote:
@Nipsen

When you say

"I don't. Not until it proves itself to be 1. as stable. 2. as secure. 3. as scaleable. 4. as customiseable. 5. as efficient. and 6. as developer- friendly (and then I don't mean for hackers, but for actual developers)."

Just how much of that can actually be applied to SE/UIQ then seeing as every UIQ Device so far up to and including the P1 and W960 has carried forward known bugs.

Relatively speaking, they are still the best in the market on everything but volume. That's not plugging SE - I would have sold the phone long ago if there was a better alternative - it's simply how it is.

Oh, and.. do I hear about the "occasional disappearing keyboard character" bug on the n95, that wasn't fixed until a year after release? Anyone better than that one - what about guaranteed hang within the week if you use more than one program at a time? What about the "out of memory", when there's no programs to close? Or do we hear about Nokia "abandoning fifty models of s60 without any bug- fixes at all", telling all the customers to go fark themselves? Strangely, we don't.

And that's before going at the hardware- defects.

..In any case - we were discussing the platform, not Nokia or SE's attempts with symbian platforms.
You are right it is far to early to judge S60 Touch UI one way or the other as it has not been seen properly yet, but what we do know is that most if not all existing S60 apps will work on it so that completely removes the question point 6 makes.

..No. Specifically on input: the idea behind having multiple input- methods in UIQ is to allow distribution of applications to as many different devices as possible, without changing the code too much, if at all. That is a good thing when you're a developer.

What s60 touch would do is to offer s60, to the same amount of units - with another option for input if someone would care to implement it specifically - for perhaps even just one model. That is not enticing to a developer, unless you're the kind that makes a "lightsaber" application for the motion- detector.

But that is why s60 touch would be doomed to be only a gimmick. And just be honest: would you flip your finger away from the d-pad, just to scroll through the phone- book with your finger?
This announcement can only be seen as a positive as at least it show progress but if the rumors are true and SE announce devices with greatly improved processors, HSDPA and all round better spec's in May. Just when does anyone think we will actually see these devices launched late this year or early next year?

Doesn't have OMAP, can't burn the battery in two hours, ergo it can't make an impact in the market. Yeah, I know... And again with the argument that "future" units would be a threat to current and woefully obsolete SE phones. It's such a strange thing to say.

Of course - I agree that unless SE starts to ship their phones with hsdpa by next year - that won't be a good thing. Because there should be a push on the telecoms to develop and build out quicker and cheaper packet- switched data transfer. That's going to be really useful soon, and could be already.

Nevertheless, none of that will be much of a point, unless the battery- life is kept at the same level as now. And on the other hand, unless the software to make use of the services has a good platform to work on. Because there's no need to look any further than the units at the market now to see loads of problems that no amount of high- speed downlink packet access could possibly fix.

Seriously - we have a powerVr instruction set on the p1 - it's not used. That's how woefully lacking the software- development is now. And that's how it will be, until effective ways to use the new mobile tech will be figured out. And for that, battery- life, size - and unfortunately for SE - software, is the most essential thing.

And trust me on this - no telecom or company insisting on trying to cash in their investment by advertisements, or through content- portals are ever going to develop any programs that use this technology to it's full potential. I guarantee you that. And do you know why? It's because I've been following the development of wap, xml's bastard child. I've been following the development of countless "content- portals" that would "make the internet obsolete". And I've seen myself how internet TV again and again fails because of greedy CEOs f**ked up from sniffing velvet cloth insists that just "giving away" something isn't going to pay off.

And that's how it takes fifteen years before certain telecoms start to actually offer - on their own volition - free content to their subscribers, in order to capture larger parts of the market, and to sell more phones. And even then, they keep holding on to the idea that - unless it's at least a little bit irritating to use the device. I mean, it at least has to say THIS IS YOUR OPERATOR SPEAKING, at least every time you open the browser. Then things are really going to hell.

But that's what I'm talking about, you see. For ONCE, a platform that isn't dependent on one single operator, or one goddamned licensed tele- operator with small- minded gnomes sitting in a cave eating gold, while planning their next "venture".

But no - UIQ is dayeing!!!!elevenses!! No OMAP LULZOMFG!!!

Just imagine - one UIQ provider competing with another on their solutions? I know you think the concept would make the earth implode - but just imagine it for one second, before going on with the rant. Ok? Good.
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
malinda
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 17:51
NO GPS/HSDPA support yet!
X10 Mini Pro HBH GV435 / HBH 35
ADOX2525
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 18:00
i take it's not coming to P1i etc. then, that sucks, i wish GW1 would get the latest firmware back.
Vipera ammodytes
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 18:04

On 2008-03-27 17:51:06, malinda wrote:
NO GPS/HSDPA support yet!

sucks!
OnePlus 8
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 18:07
no hsdpa...lol...care to read this???

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/4062_Symbian_OS_93.php

(uiq 3.3 is based on symbian 9.3)

regarding gps...its not a problem with UIQ version...if they want, they put it on devices (and will)

SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 18:43
Oh wow, yet another UIQ will live/die thread. LOL. Anyway, the official link:

http://uiq.com/uiq_3_3.html

I do like the improvements and it (hopefully) bodes well for the future.

I really didn't know what else to say, you guys are baffling me. LOL.

I am going to a S60 device soon after my UIQ P1 but not because I don't like UIQ, but because the W960 is still overpriced and I sold the P1 in my country while it's still hot anticipating the G series in the summer. So, I will be off to a Samsung i550w ($407 shipped) soon for the time being (those Nokias are also overpriced and oftentimes bulky).

I must say though...I do prefer the implementation of UIQ vs S60. I just wish I could've found as much software as I did last night for UIQ like I did for S60.

[ This Message was edited by: JAGUY85 on 2008-03-27 17:44 ]
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 22:11
Uiq3 is as good as dead at the moment. Everyones been waiting for a super uiq3 phone for a long time now, we'll see if p5 delivers if it ever arrives.

With the mobile phone market high end slowing down its not exactly the best time to release it. Personally, I wouldnt be interested if Se release a p1 with omap3, hsdpa, 5mpix and gps etc and they use the same uiq3 layout as g900.

Hopefully the uiq3 we've seen in spy pics on a 3" screen phone is not out of Se's reach.

The most interesting news from from the uiq3.3 info is the screenshot of the menu.
Coreplayer is there, May on the calender, gps icon and a silver and black looking slide phone with a square dpad. Interesting.
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 22:42

On 2008-03-27 15:12:26, ares wrote:
When there is plenty of RAM, there are no RAM issues, be it on uiq3.0 or uiq 3.3

Well symbian 9.3 is somewhat mpre memory efficient meaning better startup times, using contacts and messaging will be faster, plus the overall navigation of the UI, etc...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi