Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > google releases gmaps native uiq3 client

Author google releases gmaps native uiq3 client
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-02-28 18:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
much better than the privious version. Much much faster. I still like MGMaps but did any1 else notice that you cant view google maps with it anymore? just yahoo and msn.
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-02-28 20:53
WOW!! the speed on this version is ten times better, i can do without my favorites, its a good trade off for now. I second changing the name of this thread. I almost didn't read it because of the title

[ This Message was edited by: defiantbeast on 2008-02-28 19:55 ]
Warfield
W960
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-28 22:00
The screenshot I posted above is for the java MIDlet version downloadable from Vodafone.

This week a native SIS client for Google Maps for UIQ 3.0 has been released. I didn't even know the difference!!

The SIS version of Google Maps has a different screen layout and look and feel but so far I can get it to run on my W960i but My Location does not work and it won't even load maps. It is mentioned previously to use an Internet connection instead of Wap connection but when I try to change the connection within Google Maps the menu item does not work.
emyh
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 08:07
I love this version of google maps 100x better! So does it only work through wifi or wap as well? (didn't get a chance to test on wap yet)
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 10:53
errr...its supposed to work via GPRS/3G, how else would you use the my location feature??? obviously, my location does not work via wifi...
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
dominique
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 11:40

On 2008-02-29 10:53:27, ares wrote:
errr...its supposed to work via GPRS/3G, how else would you use the my location feature??? obviously, my location does not work via wifi...

I don't know if wifi-my-location is supported or used on UIQ - but with the ipod touch and it's google maps - wifi my location works surprisingly well in larger cities. It's even more accurate than GSM/GPRS/3G.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 11:43
can you explain me HOW it works via wifi?? my location needs GSM towers data, to triangulate position of the user...and thatīs what i experience with my p1...my location says it is unavailable when i am connected via wifi

SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
dominique
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 11:51

On 2008-02-29 11:43:43, ares wrote:
can you explain me HOW it works via wifi?? my location needs GSM towers data, to triangulate position of the user...and thatīs what i experience with my p1...my location says it is unavailable when i am connected via wifi

Google uses the WPS technology from Skyhook http://www.skyhookwireless.com/ - but as I said, I don't know if they use it on the P1. But I used it on my ipod touch (which only has wifi - no gsm/gprs or 3g) to get my exact location in vienna.
scotland67
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 12:29
Just installed this UIQ3 version (v.2.0.5) earlier this morning. However, the My Location is not working for me (getting message "your current location is temporarily unavailable") when start up app, and the My Location menu item does nothing (not even any network activity indicated via the small globe). The Help-About does have a "myl: id...." listed (not "myl:N/A"), which suggests it should be working?

I'm on O2-UK network, using the O2 Mobileweb internet account (currently in a good 3G reception area).

Anyone got this working, (1) on their P1i, (2) on O2-UK network?
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 15:57
I read recently, in another thread that people have been having problems with mobileweb, it seems that the issue was with o2's proxy server. People said they resolved the problem by unchecking 'use proxy server' in their mobileweb account settings. Though I've just tried it myself through mobileweb & it seems to work without a hitch, so I don't know - could just be the particular area you're in.

Also, my phone displays the same message when starting up (using wi-fi), if I then press 0 it initialises and works fine.

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-02-29 15:05 ]
scotland67
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 16:26

On 2008-02-29 15:57:11, AD wrote:
I read recently, in another thread that people have been having problems with mobileweb, it seems that the issue was with o2's proxy server. People said they resolved the problem by unchecking 'use proxy server' in their mobileweb account settings.

Yeah - that was me. I've been using O2 Mobileweb without proxy with no probs since that thread/post. Web browsing is not a problem. Just out of curiousity, I've even tried couple of times to re-check proxy (still doesn't work).

...And, I can browse/pan the Google Maps with no problem... it's just the My Location that is not working. I'll try when I get home (difference location) tonight.
scotland67
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 17:39
Ok. At home now. "My location" worked on & off all the way home. Seems to be related to whether got a 3G signal or not (works fine when no 3G). Which is a pity since this app needs the faster connection to speed up map download/updating. Still, I'm impressed and things will likely improve?!
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 18:42
Hopefully they'll continue to develop it for the symbian platform as this is the first itteration. I'd like to see some way of correcting the accuracy of the my location feature to upload to google's database, it currently puts me in my house at least 1/2 a mile down the road, I do live in the middle of nowhere though.
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-02-29 20:00
i'm on o2 using mobileweb and the my location feature only works with wifi! very strange - maybe it works via area code?
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 11:48
i can confirm that the my location feature works if i turn off 3g. any1 any idea why this would be? will they be able to fix it?

also can a mod please change the title of this thread? its develped into a "new .sis version of google maps" thread if you ask me.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi