Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Let me get this straight (Psomething discussion)

Author Let me get this straight (Psomething discussion)
laurenke01
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 22:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
HTC manufactured but did not design the X1.

Similar to how Palm designed the Treo 670/700w, but the unit was built by HTC.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/[....]uilding-the-treo-670-for-palm/

There is a difference between "design" and "manufacturer" and you're giving HTC wayyy too much credit.

ETA: Furthermore, and I quote:

They took care to emphasize that HTC didn't have a large hand in developing the hardware. “We designed it, HTC is just the ODM” was a phrase I heard twice. SE is (rightfully) very proud of this hardware and though they're utilizing HTC to do the manufacturing, they really want to make sure that they get the credit.

http://www.wmexperts.com/revi[....]w_first_impressions_of_th.html

No offense, but can we kill the assumption that HTC "designed" the X1 since this is obviously not true?

[ This Message was edited by: laurenke01 on 2008-04-08 22:10 ]
tonif430
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 23:59
I hope they don't put out the side wheel. I prefer a slide than a flip format.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-09 01:17
@makbil, I agree with you, but not sure a full qwerty (with one button per key) would fit on a handset that size? I've not used P1 keyboard, so can't say from my own experience how much harder a P1 style qwerty is to use than a full qwerty. I've have to give it a lash before I decide, but I think a P1 qwerty is still better than a plain number pad (aka N95)

If P1 style qwerty is too cumbersome, then I'd rather a horizontal slide formfactor with a decent qwerty like X1

Regarding Xperia, X1 and Xperia are two different things. X1 is the physical handset, Xperia is the interface design. Xperia is not tied to WM, it's an interface design philosophy that SE say they will extend to other handsets in their range.

Xperia is pure SE.
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 12:00
@max_wedge, I tried out the P1 keyboard a few times and didn't like it. A few of my friends also commented that it was a pain writing single hand messages for SMS. Here, the flip has the added advantage that you can use single tap (with T9) and really get the work done quickly. So in fact you have the best of both worlds. My preference would be for a slide out full qwerty keyboard used in landscape mode as in HTC. The flip could be flipped or could slide out to expose the rest of the screen, I'm flexible there
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 12:46
I have used QWERTY keyboards of X1, HTC's and P1... Only once though... But I have a P990 and it has made me addicted to a full QWERTY keyboard and I can't go back to a normal keypad...

But which of these is better????

Among these, HTC's side sliding keyboards are the worst, then it's the X1, then P990 and the best of all P1... Just like X1 and few HTC phones I have used P1's keyboard only once and as I knew that each button can be pressed on two side, I didn't faced any problems at all... In fact, P1's keyboard was more easy and comfortable to use than P990's and can be used with one or both hands more easily... Whereas the main problems with HTC's keyboards are:
- The spacebar is too small
- The keyboard cannot be used with one hand and one needs to move his fingers too much left right as the keyboards are quite wide...

X1 has better keyboard than HTC's because it's spacebar is much wider and its keys are more comfortable to use and well spaced too, unlike HTC...

Though I have used better keyboards than P1, like the Moto Q9 and a similar Samsung one, but they were not as compact as P1's keyboard...

As someone said on this forum, those who think P1's keyboard is bad have either not used it or if they have used it, they haven't put in enough efforts to adapt to it... For me it didn't required any effort, I just pressed each button where the letter I wanted to enter was written... Simple...
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 13:42
i also use P1 one handed with ease...better than p990´s...and number are actually on the "right" place, meaning, on the place where they are on any phone, instead of being in a row like on full keyboards
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Mr[NiK]
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-09 15:55
i guess there isnt a fastport on the device ?? i would have really loved to have been able to plug in my SE speakers into it ! (im talking about the xperia x1)

[ This Message was edited by: Mr[NiK] on 2008-04-09 14:56 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-10 09:10

On 2008-04-09 13:42:49, ares wrote:
i also use P1 one handed with ease...better than p990´s...and number are actually on the "right" place, meaning, on the place where they are on any phone, instead of being in a row like on full keyboards

that's encouraging, P5 could be a great little phone with the best of everything then Can't wait to see the spec.

Worse part though, is how to decide between X1 and P5
wiraperkasa
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-10 10:06
i find it is quite annoying to use P1i keypad using one hand...nevertheless....when using two hands, it work like charm:)
Leks
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:00
any info of gps yet?
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:11

On 2008-06-12 09:00:55, Leks wrote: